No wonder the US Postal Service has gone south - they are too busy watching us

avvidclif

Sturgis '95, RFTW 2010
TGT Supporter
Aug 30, 2017
Van Zandt County
Well who do you report the theft of mail to???? Packages, etc. Their job is to figure who dun-it, I'm betting mostly employees.

pronstar

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jul 2, 2017
Dallas
"The law enforcement arm of the U.S. Postal Service"
Wait, what? Isn't that gross overreach of authority? The USPS is a POSTAL SERVICE, not a spy service. We pay them to deliver mail, not secrets.
Is this an April Fools joke? This does not sound right at all.
We also have a constitution that supposedly protects our freedoms, yet here we are...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BBL

Feb 8, 2021
TX
Well who do you report the theft of mail to???? Packages, etc. Their job is to figure who dun-it, I'm betting mostly employees.
Sure, an inspector may investigate. But I did not know that USPS dabbled in enforcement too. Do they hunt people down, slam them to their squad car, handcuff them and haul them away with a siren?

deemus

my mama says I'm special
Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2010
DFW
Sure, an inspector may investigate. But I did not know that USPS dabbled in enforcement too. Do they hunt people down, slam them to their squad car, handcuff them and haul them away with a siren?
yep. And it’s a federal crime.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
Oct 1, 2014
San Antonio, Texas USA
I remember when the 17 intelligence agencies all chimed in against Trump as part of one of the impeachments. Don't remember the post office on that long list. Guess we are up to 18 now.

karlac

Gone fishin' ...
TGT Supporter
Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2013
WestU, TX
Dealt with them a few months back when we had a rash of mail thefts from rural mail boxes.

Me and some of the neighbors had videos of the 3AM thefts (methheads ain't all that smart) from our security cameras that were posted on our POA Facebook group.

Being on the POA, and with everyone's approval, I arranged for a Postal Inspector to see those videos.

Spent some time dealing with the situation and was impressed with their professionalism.

Even had the lead Inspectors email and cellphone and talked to him a number of times during the evening at his home.

Not normally impressed with USPS in the big city, but out in the boonies they seem a cut above the urban cesspool variety ...

Wiliamr

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
Apr 15, 2011
Austin
A little history for you all. The US Postal Inspection Service has origins dating back to late 1770's. When the US came into being Ben Franklin was the first Post Master General and he created what was called Postal Surveyor that position lasted till 1801. The Surveyor was charged with protecting the mails and t hat was a law enforcement job. Surveyor became Special Agents of the US Post Office in 1801 and lasted till 1880 when Congress changed the name to Inspector. The Postal Inspection service is actually the oldest law enforcement agency of the federal government.

They are in charge of all postal related crime. This includes mail smuggling, fraud, theft as well as theft of postal property and mail boxes, etc. They also investigate Postal employees criminal behavior as well as crimes against Postal employees. In the last 20 years or so mailing bombs, chemical agents as well as biological agents has become a huge process. They do a lot to protect the public that no one ever hears about.

Best example I am personally acquainted with was just after the 9-11 attacks, anthrax was being mailed to members of Congress and other people. That anthrax was leaking into the mails and was being spread through the mail system. They spent a lot of time tracking the people who mailed that stuff down as well as being available to go to Post Offices where suspicious powder was found. I was in one of those facilities when powder was found on a bunch of mail.. Turned out to be just cocaine mailed from Florida to someone in Grapevine, but still was a scary day. The clerks had to take showers at the station, their clothes confiscated and all the facility was scrubbed.

Give this a consideration - a bad actor can mail chemicals or biologicals that are transported by plane over the USA. With little problem, a pressure sensor and a small explosive charge can spread that from the cargo hold over a huge area of a town as well as bring the plane down. That is the sort of thing the Postal Inspection Service is working to prevent.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Latest posts

Forum statistics