• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Purchased a Midland NOAA Weather Radio and programmed in my county and surrounding counties use the S.A.M.E. Code #s taken from NOAA Web Site. Had it in the Weather/Snooze Mode and was thinking when Watch or Warning was issued.....it would come on and give weather alerts. Saw on TV that Gregg County was under Tornado Watch....not a peep from the Weather Radio. If I hit the Weather Snooze button...everything is reported but it just constantly gives forecasts. We travel a lot this time of year in our RV and was looking for something I could program for the area we are in and if severe weather is in out area.....the radio would broadcast the alerts. Any suggestions for another brand of NOAA Radio?
    Military Camp

bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas
    Not sure if there is an option for scan on this radio. Did not read anything about it in the manual. It's a Midland WR 120.

Th reason I asked is: if it was scanning and was not on the freq that the watch was issued, the radio wouldn't have opened the squelch for you to hear because it didn't hear the tone to open the squelch.

I've never dealt with the dedicated weather radios so I don't know much about them. I'll see if I can find something online to better help ya!

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Th reason I asked is: if it was scanning and was not on the freq that the watch was issued, the radio wouldn't have opened the squelch for you to hear because it didn't hear the tone to open the squelch.

I've never dealt with the dedicated weather radios so I don't know much about them. I'll see if I can find something online to better help ya!

Thanks.....I going to search as well. It is set on the correct frequency as it gives the alerts as long as I push a button to hear the alert. I wanted something that would basically be in a Stand-By mode until such time an alert is issued. May not be such a thing.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Double check your settings. Most new weather radios have codes you can set up so they ONLY alert on specific types of warnings. For example, I have thunderstorm warnings and watches turned off. I have flash floods off. I have mine set for Tornados and civil emergencies.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Double check your settings. Most new weather radios have codes you can set up so they ONLY alert on specific types of warnings. For example, I have thunderstorm warnings and watches turned off. I have flash floods off. I have mine set for Tornados and civil emergencies.

I turned Flash Floods turned off as well. TXI.........will your radio sit idle (and quiet) during times of no watches or warnings and then broadcast a weather message if something is issued in your area? If so....what is brand and Model #. Thanks

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I turned Flash Floods turned off as well. TXI.........will your radio sit idle (and quiet) during times of no watches or warnings and then broadcast a weather message if something is issued in your area? If so....what is brand and Model #. Thanks

Yes, it does that. All "weather alert" radios are designed to do that. My specific model is a Radio Shack "SAME" weatheradio.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Alert Type (Display, Voice or Tone):
    [FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]1. Press
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]MENU [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]to open menu options. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]2. Press
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]to scroll through menu to [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]ALERT TYPE[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma], then press [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]SELECT[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]3. Press
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]to choose [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]VOICE[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma], [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]TONE [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]or [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]DISPLAY [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]then press [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]SELECT[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]4. Press
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]MENU [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]to exit menu mode. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]Alert Type
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]Description
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]Display
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]When the DISPLAY alert type is chosen, only a text alert will scroll on the display. There will be no audible alarm.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]Voice
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]When the VOICE alert type is chosen, the alert tone will sound for 8 seconds, then you will hear the voice of the weather broadcast for 3 minutes.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]Tone
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma][FONT=Tahoma,Tahoma]When the TONE alert type is chosen, the alert tone will sound for 3 minutes, or until you press
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Be sure you don't have it set to "Display"

Just found a video from NOAA on programming and think I figured out what I did wrong. Used the S.A.M.E. CODES for my county and surrounding counties West and South West of me.....but......I selected Single instead of Multiple. Going to reprogram and try again.

bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas
    Good Luck. I think everyone should have a weather radio. They can save your family in severe weather at night.

+1 to that!! If my handheld transceiver didnt alert me to weather emergencies I would have one. The handheld stays on the nightstand! I also advise people to take a storm spotter class, not necessarily to chase storms but rather to be able to spot potential threats.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Might be more efficient to follow NOAA on twitter...

I pretty much hate twitter and facebook, but they are very fast lines of communication. I have to get pretty far out in the middle of nowhere to get zero cell signal with an external antenna and booster, too.

An emergency radio is still nice to have. You can never have too many lines of communication.

Top Bottom