• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Subsonic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Bastrop
    I read an article awhile back about how it is legal to hunt predators (coyotes, hogs, etc!) in texas with a noise suppressed rifle. Is this true & does anybody know where this info can be found?
    Hurley's Gold

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Although one must have a hunting license, my understanding is you may hunt "non-game" animals with a suppressor. Check with Texas Parks and Wildlife regulations for the specifics before you do it though.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Yep.

Texas Administrative Code
    Next Rule>>

NATURAL RESOURCES AND CONSERVATION
    TEXAS PARKS AND WILDLIFE DEPARTMENT
    WILDLIFE
    STATEWIDE HUNTING PROCLAMATION
    GENERAL PROVISIONS
    Lawful Means

TITLE 31

PART 2

CHAPTER 65

SUBCHAPTER A

DIVISION 1

RULE §65.11

It is unlawful to hunt any of the wildlife resources of this state except by the means authorized by this section and as provided in §65.19 of this title (relating to Hunting Deer with Dogs).
    (1) Firearms.
    (A) It is lawful to hunt alligators, game animals, and game birds with any legal firearm, including muzzleloading weapons, except as specifically restricted in this section.
    (B) Special muzzleloader-only deer seasons are restricted to muzzleloading firearms only.
    (C) It is unlawful to use rimfire ammunition to hunt alligator, deer, antelope, or desert bighorn sheep.
    (D) It is unlawful to hunt alligators, game animals or game birds with a fully automatic firearm or any firearm equipped with a silencer or sound-suppressing device.

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/tac/index.shtml

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    This is true. Some Game Wardens even have personal suppressors for hog hunting. They must of course be registered with the ATF. This makes it through the "any legal means" clause for non game animals. Non registered suppressors gets you a ride to the jail and you face federal charges. I keep a picture of my federal stamps form 1 and form 4 on my smart phone. The game warden will want to see you show proof and they can arrest or detain you until they have proof of registration. Never have the original stamp with you. Good idea to have that in a fireproof safe. I have some copies inside the stock of some of my SBR.

Subsonic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Bastrop
    Thanks for the information! Now it's time to start the process & search for a new hog/coyote gun with a suppressor. I wonder what's the time frame with the ATF for the paperwork?!

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 28, 2011
    Austin
    I hunt hogs with a suppressor on occasion. I thought I would use my can more but the thing makes the rifle really long/unwieldy even with a short 16"-18" barrel so it gets left at home more often than not. Another thing is the pigs run regardless. It does make it easier on the ears but my buds often run unsuppressed so i wear earpro anyway.

BigFatAmericanDream

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lubbock
    you havent had an unwieldy weapon till you have shot a gun equipped with a metrogun system.
    http://www.metrogun.com/

n
    oise reduction: excellent
    recoil reduction: excellent
    having a 3 foot extension on whatever sized barrel you already have: not going to happen in the woods.

Its a really neat system though, and Isn't classified by the alphabet police as NFA so you can have one shipped to your door!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kennethreyes
    Top Bottom