• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DavidEK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    DFW
    I am a Canadian with family living in TX. I’ve had my restricted and non-restricted FAL in Canada. Can I legally purchase and own guns here in Texas and store with family? I’m willing to submit to a background check, but I would be able to get a Texas state drivers license. I’m trying to find a legal way to own firearms here.
    Gun Zone Deals

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I am a Canadian with family living in TX. I’ve had my restricted and non-restricted FAL in Canada. Can I legally purchase and own guns here in Texas and store with family? I’m willing to submit to a background check, but I would be able to get a Texas state drivers license. I’m trying to find a legal way to own firearms here.

Welcome to the Forum!

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    You'll probably want better advice from an attorney on this one. But here's what I found. Doesn't look good for you...

Unless you read this link, also from the ATF, where it does look good for you...

DavidEK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    DFW
    You'd have to be a Resident Alien, at a minimum.

Just have your family buy the guns for themselves and use them when you visit.
    Thanks George. Unfortunate news, but that might be the best option. I appreciate the help.

DavidEK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    DFW
    You'll probably want better advice from an attorney on this one. But here's what I found. Doesn't look good for you...

Unless you read this link, also from the ATF, where it does look good for you...

Thanks, I’ll read into this!

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    David just like Americans need to apply for a permit to take guns into Canada you need to do the same but first contact the American Consulate in Canada to inquire about this process. I have been in contact with both Canadians and Mexicans bringing firearms from their Countries to hunt here temporarily but nothing on a long term basis. Now about buying guns here in Texas that would be impossible unless you adjust your status from Canadian to Lawful Permanent Resident. I have seen many Canadians come here with work visas and try to buy guns only to be told they cannot.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    <>

IANAL

But,

For practical purposes, I doubt that any Texas LEO’s would pay much attention to a non-criminal Canadien with a gun.

That likely also applies to our other Southern & Southwestern States, too.

Could you get a “green card” & a Texas D L ?

Bienvenue ici @ TGT et Bonne Chance !

leVieux

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    <>

IANAL

But,

For practical purposes, I doubt that any Texas LEO’s would pay much attention to a non-criminal Canadien with a gun.

That likely also applies to our other Southern & Southwestern States, too.

Could you get a “green card” & a Texas D L ?

Bienvenue ici @ TGT et Bonne Chance !

leVieux

Most Mexicans and Canadians I have encountered come here first with their TN or other NAFTA work visas and before it expires many of them adjust their status sponsored by their companies to get employee based green cards which can take several years..

DavidEK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    DFW
    David just like Americans need to apply for a permit to take guns into Canada you need to do the same but first contact the American Consulate in Canada to inquire about this process. I have been in contact with both Canadians and Mexicans bringing firearms from their Countries to hunt here temporarily but nothing on a long term basis. Now about buying guns here in Texas that would be impossible unless you adjust your status from Canadian to Lawful Permanent Resident. I have seen many Canadians come here with work visas and try to buy guns only to be told they cannot.
    Okay, thank you. I appreciate the help.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    The laws must have changed. Back when I was here on a student’s visa (Filipino citizen with Spanish residency) I bought and owned firearms in Calif.

In the early 80s, I bought rifles, shotguns and handguns (when I turned 21). I just answered the citizen wuestion truthfully on the 4473. I couldn’t even apply for a green card until the late 80s.

How about getting a non-resident LTC?

DavidEK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    DFW
    The laws must have changed. Back when I was here on a student’s visa (Filipino citizen with Spanish residency) I bought and owned firearms in Calif.

In the early 80s, I bought rifles, shotguns and handguns (when I turned 21). I just answered the citizen wuestion truthfully on the 4473. I couldn’t even apply for a green card until the late 80s.

How about getting a non-resident LTC?
    This looks like something I can do. If I get the LTC approved then at least I can carry legally. Maybe not purchase just yet. The advice and tips in this group is great. I appreciate everyone.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    BTW, those links to the ATF website should serve as a reminder...don't trust the ATF, even when asking them about their own policies and relevant laws.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

Concur on better advice from an attorney, both links dig very deep in the US Code and the Code of Federal regulations. Definitions of Alien and an nonimmigrant visa in 18 USC 922 point to the Immigration and Nationality Act found in 8 USC 1101(a).

18 USC 922 (y) contains the provisions relating to aliens under a nonimmigrant visa.

Thanks, I’ll read into this!
    Considering you could be convicted of a US federal felony or arrested and deported, do you really want to make a decision on this from sgoti? This is a really specialized area of law your asking about with some serious criminal penalties that could impact your nation’s decisions about your possession of weapons for the rest of your lifetime.

Top Bottom