• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cavrduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2014
    New to the forum and have found a lot of great info. Looking to move within the year but will be making several trips to look for a house.
    If I take the class and get a non-resident CHL, when I do move, can I easily convert non resident to resident or will I need to reapply? What about the 6 mo. waiting period? Thanks for the help.
    Military Camp

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Is your home state's permit recognized by Texas? That might save you a lot of trouble.

Example- I'm moving down in May. Texas recognizes my VA permit, so I can carry on it until it expires in 2018, even after I become a Texas resident.

cavrduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2014
    Home state not recognized in Tx. I read the Chl statue for non resident (411.123) and couldn't find the answer. Thanks for the reply.

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    What I've read, It doesn't seem like you have a waiting period for a non-res license. If it were me, I'd go ahead and get the non-res, carry on it till it expires and renew as a resident. no sense in buying one permit and paying a couple hundred dollars 6 months later just so it says 'resident.' Like I said in my first post, If you possess a valid permit, you can carry on it till it expires. So if you're a TX resident with a TX non-res license, you're good. Just as future me, TX resident with a VA res permit is still good.

BTW the 6 months is just a residency requirement, not a waiting period.

I use the term permit and license interchangably. in Texas it is a CHL. I'm just used to saying CHP.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    New to the forum and have found a lot of great info. Looking to move within the year but will be making several trips to look for a house.
    If I take the class and get a non-resident CHL, when I do move, can I easily convert non resident to resident or will I need to reapply? What about the 6 mo. waiting period? Thanks for the help.

CHL instructor here. There is no waiting period at all for anyone. There used to be, which is why you see the law that says one of the eligibility requirements is 6 months residency. However, the law also reads reads that a resident of another state can be licensed, as can anyone who moves here with the intent to establish residency. The net effect is no residency requirment or wait.

You can apply now and just complete a simple address change once you move.

Note; Texas law requires classes be taught in Texas, so you will have to get that done while here.

Last edited:

cavrduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2014
    TXI, I read the law, in one sentence it said 6 months, but as you stated it also talks about intent to become a resident. That is what was causing the confusion.
    Thanks to all for your help.

Top Bottom