Military Camp

Nontoxic flea and tick remedies for pets.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    http://www.naturalnews.com/054064_ticks_fleas_nontoxic_remedies.html

(NaturalNews) The old saying "April showers bring May flowers" has never been more true, particularly in the Texas Hill Country, which has received its fair share of rainfall accompanied by hot and humid temperatures. Unfortunately, wildflowers aren't the only ones flourishing, as fleas and ticks also thrive in warm, moist environments. If you're a pet owner, and anything like me, you absolutely dread this time of year, as it's often the start of a long, arduous battle against fleas.

Lynx Defense

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    They fail to mention that nematodes need daily waterings, don't do well in full sun, and do poorly in sand. I'm surprised they said nothing about diatomaceous earth. As for the rest, haven't tried them, so I can't comment.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    Many, many years ago, we were overrun by fleas. Called FleaBusters. After he did the house, Dude told me to get some boric acid and stomp it in my carpets. This was after I paid to have it done. That treatment lasted years, but when I saw another flea I went and got a gallon container of boric acid for $20. Dusted that house again. Did the new place when we moved in. 15 years and we haven't seen a flea. This is with 4 Rescues running around the same yard that feral cats and lots of coons and possums frequent and then coming back inside. Not to mention the Crazy Cat Lady next door having clouds of fleas in her place.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Wet them and cover them in Dawn dish detergent and leave it on for as long as you can.(try for 5 minutes) Does a good job on the critters. Then rub them on your dirty pots and pans. 2 chores done with one dog. Just kidding about the last part. Wanna come to my house for dinner?

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Besides nematodes and the diatomaceous earth, garlic pills work well too. Just have to keep at it with the furry friends so it builds up in their system.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    J had tons of spiders and crickets around here as all of this land was once rice fields or agriculture land. When I started buying plants, the little lizards called "Anoles" came with them. The little guys are bug eating monsters and I protect them from any pesticides or other chemicals.

As for Jake the mighty dog, he gets Frontline for fleas and ticks. I buy the stuff from Amazon in a spray bottle and spray him a few days after his bath. Fleas hate my dog and I've only seen 2-3 on him in 6 years, In fact, those fleas were "hitchhikers" and were doing their best to bail off of Jake! There has never been a flea egg deposited on Jake.

Frontline recommends monthly treatment but I've slipped up a few times and let it go for 6 weeks. No fleas dare get on that dog!

Do what you want, but I take fleas, Parvo and heart worms very seriously. Jake gets the best chemical treatments available and those are religiously applied. I refuse to even consider home remedies.

Flash

Last edited:

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    I looked into this recently and found a Texas product/company called Cedarcide. Lots of rave reviews about effectiveness. They make direct treatment products for pets. they also have a whole-house fogger setup that kills everything with 6 legs, including termites, yet will not harm mammals (pets or humans). That will be my next purchase.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I've heard about cedar oil for many years, just didn't know where to get any. Thanks. I'll look at that cedarcide website tonight.

from an idgit coffeeholic

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Cedarcide will make fireants pack up and leave the yard. Used it for years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've heard about cedar oil for many years, just didn't know where to get any. Thanks. I'll look at that cedarcide website tonight.

from an idgit coffeeholic

Cedar smoke also works good.

Cedar oil is easy to extract. The commercial oil is extracted with steam but alcohol extraction works too.

Juniperus Ashei sprigs soaked in 91% rubbing alcohol or Everclear alcohol for a few hours until it separates into layers. Green matter, oil, water. The oil looks like brown motor oil.

Pour the solution through a wash cloth. After it drains, twist the wash cloth and squeeze liquid remaining out the green matter.

At this point the solution can be used. However, it's flammable. To switch to a water base. Pour the solution into a glass baking pan. Use a hair dryer to evaporate the alcohol. What's left is sticky cedar oil.

Scrape up the cedar oil and add it to a solution of soap and hydroxic acid. Pour in a spray bottle. Shake before use.

weiss27md

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Pflugerville, TX
    Wondercide sells cedar oil products for killing fleas, etc. Plus they are located out of Austin. I also us diatamaceous earth for dry areas that wont get a lot of disturbance.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Sprayed yard and dog with cedarcide this weekend. Sprayed side of house as well. The amount of flying things that hung around the entrance ways has decreased to almost nothing

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom