APOD Firearms

Noob looking for hog hunting advice (never been)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Befriend someone who has a lease most can bring a buddy.
    Property owners are pretty friendly depending on your attitude.
    There are many opportunities out there yet so many are quick to think closed gates are closed to the world. Absolutely un true.
    About ten years ago, I tried leasing some of my property for hog hunting. I'll never do that again. I had a pretty bad hog problem for a couple of years and they were getting within about forty to fifty yards from the house at night, and doing lots of damage to the backyard area. So I contacted a guy on Craigslist about hunting the hogs and trapping them as well. He and his buddies were more interested in having a place to party and leaving a huge mess for me to clean up. My gates are closed to hunters.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    "There are many opportunities out there yet so many are quick to think closed gates are closed to the world."

My 'closed gates' are closed to the world...why would I have closed gates otherwise?

I used to shoot feral hogs from my back porch, but no matter how many I shot they'd return to tear up my yard. Thus fences were installed and no more hog and/or neighborhood dogs fertilizing my yard either.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    About ten years ago, I tried leasing some of my property for hog hunting. I'll never do that again. I had a pretty bad hog problem for a couple of years and they were getting within about forty to fifty yards from the house at night, and doing lots of damage to the backyard area. So I contacted a guy on Craigslist about hunting the hogs and trapping them as well. He and his buddies were more interested in having a place to party and leaving a huge mess for me to clean up. My gates are closed to hunters.
    That is unfortunate.

It is a shame that so many associate "hunting" with partying and create problems for those of us who are conscientious, studious and professional about hunting.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    If you watch Youtube videos about hog hunting, you'll begin to believe that they drop with one shot and any bullet will do. Those critters are tough and frequently require a good bullet with good placement to have any hope of dropping them in one shot. After you follow a blood trail for a mile or two through thick brush, you will appreciate their toughness. (There's a reason people say, "Bled like a stuck pig." Sometimes the blood trail looks like gallons of it were spilled.) The .308 is probably your best choice. You should do a lot of PRACTICE shooting before you go. Pigs move almost constantly and you have to get on target and pull the trigger quickly. They are low to the ground and they like to go through areas with plenty of cover. If you plan to dress one out, you'll need a good quality knife. They use those hides to make shoes and footballs, so it can dull a cheap knife in no time.
    Last one I shot didn't die until he had four of my bullets in him. The first was a 308. Make sure they're dead for sure before you get too close.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Great advice above! You would be surprised how many people want you to help clear the hogs off their land
    Really? I have yet to find one. Some just don't want people out there that they don't know (which I can't blame them for at all). Some want to complain about how bad their hog problem is, then charge crazy money for someone to come out and fix their problem. I figure I'll just wait until their problem gets bad enough that they'll pay me to come out. But the only one who let me on his land to shot pigs was my wife's uncle, and he insists that all family come out to shoot pigs and deer.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    There are apps to help find landowners that will give permission. For 2 years I let a guy hunt my property and he found me with the app. He moved and I have someone else that I let hunt my property. I do not charge and my property is meticulously cared for by good hunters. Lot's of pigs, deer, coyotes, some turkey, ducks. People just have to ask the property owner and be good shepherds of the land. Not everyone is in it for the $$.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    My Sister does not allow hunting on her property. However , the State comes out and sets traps ( the land is in wildlife management ). She calls a man who will come out, kill, butcher, then cook the meat to give to needy veteran families. He claims his type of cooking even makes the large boars tasty.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    My Sister does not allow hunting on her property. However , the State comes out and sets traps ( the land is in wildlife management ). She calls a man who will come out, kill, butcher, then cook the meat to give to needy veteran families. He claims his type of cooking even makes the large boars tasty.
    As long as he is doing it as an individual he should be ok, but it is illegal to donate feral hog meat in Texas to food banks and the such.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    As long as he is doing it as an individual he should be ok, but it is illegal to donate feral hog meat in Texas to food banks and the such.
    Ran into that when we tried to donate all the game that my Uncle had in his freezers when he died.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    If you watch Youtube videos about hog hunting, you'll begin to believe that they drop with one shot and any bullet will do. Those critters are tough and frequently require a good bullet with good placement to have any hope of dropping them in one shot. After you follow a blood trail for a mile or two through thick brush, you will appreciate their toughness. (There's a reason people say, "Bled like a stuck pig." Sometimes the blood trail looks like gallons of it were spilled.) The .308 is probably your best choice. You should do a lot of PRACTICE shooting before you go. Pigs move almost constantly and you have to get on target and pull the trigger quickly. They are low to the ground and they like to go through areas with plenty of cover. If you plan to dress one out, you'll need a good quality knife. They use those hides to make shoes and footballs, so it can dull a cheap knife in no time.

Having come to feral hog hunting late, let me add that if one shoots them in the chest/heart/lung area like a deer, they can run-off quite a ways and never be found in time. I have promised myself that from now-on, I'm going to shoot them in the head & neck only. The two I hit in the spine went straight down and stayed there. I've had several clearly hit in the chest, even heart, but lost them. No blood trail. But, the buzzards ALWAYS find them eventually !

leVieux

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Good night. We used to bait them in, shoot from a tree stand and let them lay for the trash pandas and the yotes. Those things were terrible. I’m sure its become worse in the ensuing 20 years.
    Go to Scurry, TX. Talk to the Kaufman County Sheriffs dept or wildlife mgmt service. There may be a local farmer/rancher that would welcome some dead pigs. That’s how we used to find ranches that wanted dead prairie dogs. As long as you’re respectful and careful, those dead vermin will be welcomed by the land owner. Or do it the easy/smart way. DuckDuckGo East TX hog hunts. You’ll be shooting tomorrow.

Greenzilla80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2022
    Hutto
    There are apps to help find landowners that will give permission. For 2 years I let a guy hunt my property and he found me with the app. He moved and I have someone else that I let hunt my property. I do not charge and my property is meticulously cared for by good hunters. Lot's of pigs, deer, coyotes, some turkey, ducks. People just have to ask the property owner and be good shepherds of the land. Not everyone is in it for the $$.
    Whats the app?

Greenzilla80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2022
    Hutto
    There's some pockets of public land you can use. I have an area of public land hunt I stalk with my crossbow and have gotten to where I see hogs 70% of my trips down there. I never hunt at night, and still see large packs of them running around. I usually get there around sunrise and stalk until I get one or lunch hits.

They're out there. I worked the land about 4 trips before I got thier traffic patterns about figured out. The only downfall is it's public land so you never know who you're sharing it with and firearms aren't generally allowed.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    What I can't understand is land owners who say they have a wild hog problem they can't take care of, but want to charge several hundred dollars for you to get rid of their problem.

Top Bottom