Texas SOT

Noob looking for hog hunting advice (never been)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nick!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2017
    DFW
    Hi TGT friends,

I’ve never been hunting (I mean ever), not for any ethical reasons, but because I’ve simply never been exposed to it. Been into collecting and shooting paper for years though.

I’ve of course known about the Texas hog problem for a while now, but recently got inspired to enjoy some outdoors and take down some of the terribly invasive species.

I was hoping some of the local experts can provide some advice on how and where to start. The only gear I have is the guns and ammo; no feeders, cameras, tree stands, and probably most importantly, I don’t have the land. I live in the suburbs of north Dallas.

Below is some of the more appropriate items in my Arsenal.

- Aero Precision .308 with Vortex Strike Eagle 1x8x24
    - Rock River Arms AR15 in 5.56 with 20 inch heavy barrel and cheap 3x9x40 scope
    -Springfield M1 Garand in 30.06
    - Your typical Mosin

In all honesty, I’ll probably use the 308, but am just doing a little showing off at the same time

Any and all input is welcome. How and where do I get started?
    DK Firearms

Attachments

• 07574DBF-4724-49D8-B8BB-AFA77DB45C49.jpeg
      07574DBF-4724-49D8-B8BB-AFA77DB45C49.jpeg
      1.5 MB · Views: 136
    • B2357C0B-B048-4413-A708-7B95E415A13D.jpeg
      B2357C0B-B048-4413-A708-7B95E415A13D.jpeg
      1.4 MB · Views: 147
    • 3F3F01D2-E301-4A95-BCA2-4D333449097A.jpeg
      3F3F01D2-E301-4A95-BCA2-4D333449097A.jpeg
      1.4 MB · Views: 143

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    If you watch Youtube videos about hog hunting, you'll begin to believe that they drop with one shot and any bullet will do. Those critters are tough and frequently require a good bullet with good placement to have any hope of dropping them in one shot. After you follow a blood trail for a mile or two through thick brush, you will appreciate their toughness. (There's a reason people say, "Bled like a stuck pig." Sometimes the blood trail looks like gallons of it were spilled.) The .308 is probably your best choice. You should do a lot of PRACTICE shooting before you go. Pigs move almost constantly and you have to get on target and pull the trigger quickly. They are low to the ground and they like to go through areas with plenty of cover. If you plan to dress one out, you'll need a good quality knife. They use those hides to make shoes and footballs, so it can dull a cheap knife in no time.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Best bet is an outfitter. Most of them will have rifles set up with nv or thermal scopes since pigs are mostly active at night. You can try to see if maybe your coworkers have land you can hunt on but buying land here is quickly turning into a pipe dream for most

Dingo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2021
    DFW
    Get the annual public hunting permit, wait till after deer season, head up to the caddo national lands and find some creek bottoms or drainage area.
    you will need to Putin the time, pigs are extremely smart and move and change their feeding patterns frequently.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Hi TGT friends,

I’ve never been hunting (I mean ever), not for any ethical reasons, but because I’ve simply never been exposed to it. Been into collecting and shooting paper for years though.

I’ve of course known about the Texas hog problem for a while now, but recently got inspired to enjoy some outdoors and take down some of the terribly invasive species.

I was hoping some of the local experts can provide some advice on how and where to start. The only gear I have is the guns and ammo; no feeders, cameras, tree stands, and probably most importantly, I don’t have the land. I live in the suburbs of north Dallas.

Below is some of the more appropriate items in my Arsenal.

- Aero Precision .308 with Vortex Strike Eagle 1x8x24
    - Rock River Arms AR15 in 5.56 with 20 inch heavy barrel and cheap 3x9x40 scope
    -Springfield M1 Garand in 30.06
    - Your typical Mosin

In all honesty, I’ll probably use the 308, but am just doing a little showing off at the same time

Any and all input is welcome. How and where do I get started?
    You fo got aa loincloth and spear
    That's the Texas way

ronbwolf

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    If you are just getting started, use an outfitter, they have locations, equipment, and experience. I have neighbors that use dogs and a knife. Personally my current setup is a MSR in .25-45 Sharps, with an AGM TC 35-384 thermal clipon. Mounts in front of my day scope, and is incredible. I sit in my blind, and can see anything that moves out to 300 yards, or more. Thermal isn't cheap but is about the only way to do it without an outfitter.

As for caliber, bullet placement is always king. Your 5.56 is more than enough, if you put it in a vital area. I have used .257 Roberts (117 gr.) in a Ruger #1, the aforementioned .25-45 Sharps (87 gr.), and .300 Blackout (125 gr.). I like using a MSR just to piss off liberals. The most important thing about hog hunting is, kill as many as you can, they are destructive pests!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Kill all you want, they will make more.

Seriously an outfitter.

A license and hunter education classes depending on your age.
    It can become an expensive hobby especially night hunting with IR stuff. What so much fun is ever cheap.

NWFA

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 29, 2013
    IR/NV makes it easier to hunt at night and it has its limits. I didn’t drop a pig last weekend because my Illuminator didn’t reach far enough and I am terrible shot…this is where getting the bigger calibers helps you as shot placement is really hard if you never hunted at night. Pigs are also really finicky when they feed so you don’t have a ton of time to hit them broadside cleanly. I would encourage to go with a good outfitter that has great feeder light set up. Pigs rarely come out during the day.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Unless you plan on sniping them over 500yds away, there is no real reason to waste .308 ammo.
    I agree with the sentiment here, outfitters are a good place to start.
    Or make friends with a land owner who's fed up with hogs infesting his place. We are looking at pretty good overpopulation right now.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    As for caliber, bullet placement is always king.

The most important thing about hog hunting is, kill as many as you can, they are destructive pests!

These two statements are inconsistent. If you want to kill as many as you can, you are going to have to give up good shot placement. IME you only get one well aimed shot, after that all hell breaks loose and you have about 3-5 seconds to COM shoot all the squirters.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    I'm acquainted with this guy. He is located about 100 miles east of Dallas. He has several large ranches in the area that let him take clients out to hunt just to help control the hog population. Strictly night time stalks with thermal and suppressed weapons provided. He gets a lot of customers from out of state. Not sure what he charges these days, but you can give him a call.

Facebook Page

Website

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Sadly, an outfitter or deer lease is probably your only realistic option. The more rural the more likely you are of bagging something. Although hogs are destructive and problematic, land owners in Texas are not very trusting of outsiders.

A lot of people "interested" in hog hunting think they are doing Mr farmer/rancher a huge favor shooting nuisance hogs. Realistically the risk is not worth the reward for a them. The country can be dangerous, moreso at night in unfamiliar territory. That's where a hunting outfit would be nice.

Remember, just like any hunting the real work comes after the shot. The easiest part is pulling the trigger. After that clean up can be a task. I used to shoot all I wanted decades ago in Pearsall, never did eat many but still had to drag them off to the end of the property to keep coyotes away from deer hunting stands. I shot 6 in one sitting once, seemed great until nightfall and I was loading or dragging pigs all over the place.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Diablo4151
    Top Bottom