• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ag1052

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Sorry about this noob question but I just want to clarify. I am planning on getting a chl soon. From what I have seen classes seem to go for around $75 but from what I understand that fee is for the class, then there is a $140 fee for the actual license, and a $10 fee for fingerprinting. Are those all the fees I am going to be paying or is there something else I may be missing?
    ARJ Defense ad

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Are you a veteran? If so that state fee gets cheaper.

Not a fee, but you will need 50 rounds of ammo, another expense.

You may incur range fees depending on your class. I have seen them included as part of the CHL class, and I have seen them as an independent charge by the range.

ag1052

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Thanks everyone! How long do I have after I finish the class till I must send it off by?

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    The certificate you get from class is valid for 2 years.

But, once you do the on-line application, you only have one year to complete it, or you forfeit the fee, so don't do the on line application until you are ready to get your CHL.

Yes, the state fee gets much cheaper if you are a veteran. Also, if you are 65 or older, the fee drops substantially.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    But, once you do the on-line application, you only have one year to complete it, or you forfeit the fee, so don't do the on line application until you are ready to get your CHL.

Yes, the state fee gets much cheaper if you are a veteran. Also, if you are 65 or older, the fee drops substantially.

Active duty and those out less than a year pay nothing to the state. Other veterans pay $25.00 Seniors pay half.

And I believe DPS will require a new fee if they don't have you application complete within 90 days of paying.

ag1052

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Thanks everyone. I filled out my form online, paid my fee, setup a fingerprint time, signed up for a chl class, and have my gun and ammo ready to go. By this time next week I should be finished with everything and just waiting on the government to mail me my license.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Way to go AG1052. I just sent my checklist packet in last week. Hoping to have license in hand by the first week of November.

Last edited:

ag1052

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Thanks Bozz10mm, I passed my class today. Everything is done for me, now I just gotta wait on the government.

ag1052

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    lol thanks guys, the chl class actually took all the stuff that I had to send in and is taking it in on Monday.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom