• ...and so much more!
  • BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Dallas area range meet

*********UPDATE******* CANCELLED!!!CANCELLED!!!CANCELLED!!!CANCELLED!!!CANCELLED!!!CANCELLED!!!CANCELLED!!!CANCELLED!!!CANCELLED!!!CANCELLED!!!CANCELLED!!!

DATE: May 11th
    TIME: 8 a.m. to Noon
    PRICE: Currently 20/person
    WHO: Anyone who wants to have a good time!

Gentlemen, thanks to txgunshowreview, Fusion Gun Range has said they would be happy to host a day of shooting for us. Depending on number of people showing up, there may even be vendors to demo products. Cost as of now is $20/guest. The price could possibly go down if we have more people. The date for this get-together will be Sunday May 11th from 8 a.m. to Noon. Please post in this thread if you want to be added to the list of those that will be attending. Also, if you want, post up what you plan to bring so we can all see what there is! It's always fun to see someone else's toys!

Link to Fusion: Fusion Facilities

Update from Txgunshowreview:

Since it's getting close to the big day, here are a few items for consideration. Fusion is located south of I-20 and FM 740. Take the FM 740 exit south off I-20. The road will veer sharply to the right and then back to the left. After you straighten from those turns, slow down and start looking for the entrance, which will be on your right. It will come up quickly and is not signed well at all from the road.

The range is located adjacent to Cousins Paintball, so don't be surprised if the first thing you see is a Cousins Paintball sign. There will also be a sign about the range open/closed. Often, when there is a scheduled event, the range will be marked as closed. So, for our event, just ignore these signs.

Proceed down the rocky road and the paintball facility will be on your left. Keep to the right and move past the Cousins parking area. You will pass one or two trailers and then turn to the left. Shortly thereafter, you should see the range sign and the portable office.

Parking will be to your left by the large tree. I hope to make it by 7-715AM to help with setup. If you are bringing any type of target that requires setup, then try to arrive early. Ideally, we would like to complete target setup and rules/safety orientation in advance so everyone can start having fun promptly at 8AM.

I don't know if the separate pistol area will be completed and open by the 11th. That and the separation of those wishing to shoot rifle/pistol will determine the schedule. The earlier people arrive, the more time we have to discuss.

What to bring? Eyes/ears, the usual suspects. Targets and more ammo than you think you will use. Water and food. A lawn chair or two would not hurt. Those observing only will need their own eyes and ears.

Forecast is for partly sunny weather. Sunscreen will be helpful if you want to shoot from longer distances since the shade from the big tree will be minimal as it is not yet in full bloom and would not help anyway beyond 30 yards or so from the main berm.

I've never had an issue with bugs during the last year, but it is an outdoor area. Speaking of outdoors, in the event of an unexpected rain late Sat. or early Sun, there may be a weather cancellation. In that event, I'll try to post to the forum. All the roads leading into the range are dirt, so a sufficiently hard rain on Sat. would make the range unusable on Sunday AM.

That's all I can think of for now. Post additional Q's or PM me and both myself and my two .44 mag revolvers are looking forward to meeting everyone in a couple days.

regards,

- jim

Per txgunshowreview:

-Yes, shotguns are fine and pretty much any ammo other than tracers. Facilities may, for example, be available by our date as improvements are currently being made to the range, although traditionally the bathroom was the trees
    smile.png
    Afaik, plan on arriving before 8AM so that we can get payment and any paperwork out of the way quickly and get onto the safety orientation. After that, we can collectively organize the shooting schedule. Fee will be $20 per shooter. There is a very large tree on site so plenty of shade is available for those wishing to observe only (eye/ear protection still required, though). Bring lawn chairs, food, and water. I'll bring a half tent to setup in case it's needed. Typically, people bring their own targets and there may be additional ones for sale, but don't count on it. I will personally bring about a dozen extra paper targets and will setup Smoke on a Rope targets, and Ghost targets. I also hope to have one of those bleeding Zombie targets setup for an eval. I'm also in discussion with Fusion about setting up some Tannerite targets. I'll try to get a formal schedule and resolution of all details posted shortly along with instructions on how to get to the range. Sorry that my work schedule permits only infrequent posting. Thanks for your patience and I look forward to meeting everyone. If you guys can bring tannerite and reactive steel, that would be AWESOME.

regards,

- jim armstrong

List of those who are 'in':

BigBoss0311 +2
    Txgunshowreview
    Deemus
    Kabob
    Leper
    AngeliaH
    TheCytochromeC
    Mitchntx
    CitizenSeven +2
    Jtyler
    tango5seven
    +10 possibles
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Elm Fork in Dallas allows FMJ and NFA on the 50 yard range. Too many restrictions on the 100 yarder.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    This is still on. Any others in the Dallas area thinking about it?

Kabob, I also call dibs on your P7 if you decide to sell. I still miss mine. Worst case of sellers regret is with my P7's. What ammo are you running through your suppressed AR?

Last edited:

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Perhaps the problem with getting us North Texas folks together is we are so spread out. I'm in NE Fort Worth, and there are some that are even further in SW Fort Worth. Going to a range at the North East edge of the metroplex would be a long drive. I don't have a solution other than a range more central, but offer this up as a reason it's difficult to get a range session going.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Isn't there a place north of Texas Motor Speedway?

And guys ... even some of the central guys have to drive 50-60 miles.
    Its Texas ... we are spread out.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    This is still on. Any others in the Dallas area thinking about it?

Kabob, I also call dibs on your P7 if you decide to sell. I still miss mine. Worst case of sellers regret is with my P7's. What ammo are you running through your suppressed AR?

The P7 is mine fo' life unless I go mentally insane and suddenly think guns are bad. I try to shoot any quality brass 5.56 through the AR but it eats steel just fine (Herter's). I don't like shooting .223 in it as it ejects straight up and pops me in my face. Being an SBR, I put in an H buffer and can't locate my carbine buffer (in storage somewhere) to see if that fixes it. Haven't shot .223 through the AR with the Specwar can and may do so at full gas. I shoot 5.56 with the AGR set at suppressed to avoid overgassing.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    I'm wanting to try Fusion because it appears from the website to let you do pretty much whatever you want as long as you are safe. I don't want to go to arange where I have a babysitter telling me what to do and looking over my shoulder. I want the freedom to train safely. Also, it states reservation only, so from that I would assume we would have the range to ourselves. I'm not sure if this is the whole case.

JIM (txgunshowreview)- since you are a member, maybe you could expand on my thoughts and let me know if this is the case, also any input you have on the range would be greatly appreciated.

Kabob- thanks. I will be running 55gr and 62gr 5.56 through my SBR when I get back, so hopefully it all works out. Any troubles with 55gr through the short barrel and can?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Carrollton, TX
    BigBoss0311 - here are a couple posts that will you some background on the range.

Fusion Gun Range Part I | Texas Gun Show Review

Madison Rising at Fusion Tactical Range | Texas Gun Show Review (click on the link to the Flickr photo set for images) - we shot at tannarite taped to cantaloupe and watermelons at this one :)

It's pretty much wide open (50 BMG is fine, for example) as long as safe practices are observed. 180-degree rule in effect, multiple shooters keep to a straight line, etc. Bring exotic targets if you like. I've evaluated Smoke 'Em Targets and bleeding Zombie targets at the range (you clean up what you put up). There is little in the way of fixed structure so that you can setup targets and even obstacles to suit particular training needs.

Pistol and rifle are currently not separated, so there would have to be some coordination among those wanting to shoot rifle, then pistol.

Strictly speaking, it's a members-only range and thus reservations must be made by members. I doubt they would have an issue with a large group of experienced locals wanting to try out the range with one or more RSO's and a member present.

I've made reservations before and that does not guarantee I have the range to myself. At my last rifle session, someone else showed up ahead of me. Fortunately he finished pistol practice just as I arrived and I was able to get in some quality time with my AR-10 while he shot a couple different rifles at the same distance. I had been previously led to believe I would have a solo session.

An event like this would probably have to be arranged on a Sunday if you are targeting a weekend as they have their own classes scheduled on Sat. and often rent out the range to other groups, esp. on Saturday.

If you really want to pursue this venue, I'll check with Fusion and see how we might arrange an outing.

I hope this information helps with your decision.

regards,

- jim

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Kabob- thanks. I will be running 55gr and 62gr 5.56 through my SBR when I get back, so hopefully it all works out. Any troubles with 55gr through the short barrel and can?

Most of what I shoot is Lake City XM193 so no problem on the 55gr.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Carrollton, TX
    Sorry, it's taken a while, but I just got off the phone with Fusion (after going back and forth via email). They would enjoy hosting this event and, depending on participation level, they would be willing to get some vendors out to the range to show off products. A similar event in the past was how I found out about Ghost Targets, for example.

Guest cost would be $20 per person. We can get a guaranteed time slot (with sufficient advance notice) of 8AM - 11AM on a Sat. or 8AM to Noon on Sun. Other members tend to show up in numbers after those cutoff times, so staying longer would mean shooting alongside other members.

So, I suppose everyone needs to decide on a weekend in late Apr. or May and if you want to go with this venue, how many would attend? With enough sign-ups, we might even get a discount on the price.

thanks,

- jim

TheCytochromeC

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    DFW
    I would really like to attend but I'll be out of town 17 & 18 so as long as it's not that weekend I'll be there. I've been waiting for something like this for a while.

Top Bottom