• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    What about Richmond and Rosenburg? I haven't been down there in several years now, and I have a cousin that still owns land in Rosenburg that she leases for cotton farming. Use to be a really nice area with lots of farming and still sort of rural but close enough to Houston.

Not a tenable commute IMO for where he will be working. There is the Grand Parkway / 99 but that's an expensive round trip. And land is STUPID expensive in Fort Bend County thanks to all the development.

The area is exploding and taxes and assessments are going bonkers with it right now. I'd have a hard time recommending it for someone to move to right now.

Of the areas you've listed @Sasquatch, I'd look on the outskirts of Tomball but I will readily admit I don't know the Northwest very well.

One thing I'll caution you on, the greater Houston metro is turning darker blue fast. Even areas there were more traditionally red. The 2018 elections really shifted things here.

It will be better than Portland but be prepared.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    If it's even like the Portland area 20 years ago, that'd be far, far more tolerable than the cess pit I currently call home. After my lil' sis runs off to college, my dad is a-okay with picking up and relocating. North Texas, further south, or even just further NW up towards Bryan or College Station (lil sis wants to go to A&M, and my dad would use that as an excuse to move and stay close to his kiddo) - so who knows. There's even the potential of moving states again - Utah (wife and I looked at St George for a relocation before things aligned to make Texas the for sure destination) and Arkansas are "maybes" for the future.

My pop moved around a lot during his earlier days, he's been in Florida, Arizona, Nevada, Alaska, Texas and Oregon + time overseas in Okinawa. I didn't get the benefit of growing up with him, so aside from 30 days at Fort Leonard Wood, I've lived only in Oregon. I'm ready for a change in politics, weather and scenery for sure!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Plantersville & Todd Misson are Renfest related. Or as I like to say in the vortex of stupidity. Even a good portion of Magnolia is in the vortex. Anderson was on my list for a sort time, but nothing ever comes up in my price range.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Plantersville & Todd Misson are Renfest related. Or as I like to say in the vortex of stupidity. Even a good portion of Magnolia is in the vortex. Anderson was on my list for a sort time, but nothing ever comes up in my price range.

Having been to the TRF many times, during the time of the festival, it can get a bit congested with traffic! But that might be an undestatement! But I have been through there many other times when the festival wasn't going on, and it seemed like a nice semi-rural area.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Having been to the TRF many times, during the time of the festival, it can get a bit congested with traffic! But that might be an undestatement! But I have been through there many other times when the festival wasn't going on, and it seemed like a nice semi-rural area.
    Methbillys & Free Shit Army live around the festival. Worked with a few Grimes County Sheriffs over the years. Grimes is one of the poorest Counties in the state. What happens with the renfest this year over the pandemic alone might really phuc up Magnolia Todd Mission & Plantersville economies. And thats not taking Antifa further actions into account.

I agree there is some fine looking countryside out that way. The drive to pick up payroll in Bryan then hitting backroads back looks good. Even drove past Chuck Norris Ranch & water plant. Looks can be deceiving!

Robert_K

Glocks Not Cocks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    North Houston
    I enjoy living on the west side of Spring, east side of Tomball; 99/Kuykendahl area. Its Harris County close to all the major roads and freeways, good schools (Klein ISD), plenty of shopping and restaurants near-by and homes starting in the $150k to $1.5m-$2m+.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    I'm only slightly biased, having grown up in the Katy/Cypress area. I think it's still a good place if you're renting and can move relatively shortly, but it's honestly exploded in development and population even in the decade or so since I graduated high school and left for the military. I don't know if I'd recommend someone looking to set up long term to move here. It's honestly on a neighborhood-by-neighborhood basis here.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Got the official word today, our offer has been accepted and we are supposed to close on July 15th on a nice little property a few minutes SW of Magnolia. We're so damn ready to leave the craziness here behind! We'll do our best to keep Texas from going off the deep end into the blue abyss that Oregon has become. Hopefully I'll have the chance to meet some of the folks here in person once we get settled in.

Oldbluered

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2019
    Bastrop area
    Congrats! I just refinanced and had to sign all the docs with my middle name included, might specify how you want your name on the documents and possibly save yourself the hassle.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Having visited a lot of ranches in far West Texas, I can attest there's no people/traffic bother whatsoever in those locales.

You do have (generally speaking) to travel 5 miles or so (on average) through bump gates to get to the 'hacienda'.

Probably, want a helicopter/pilot or get your own license, so you can buy groceries or see an MD, etc., but you certainly won't be aggravated by the presence of humanity.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Finalized things with my current business partners tonight, and we're setting firm dates now, provided there's no weirdness with titles and delays on closing. Our last day as Oregonians will be the 31st of July. We're going to take a day or two to visit family in Colorado Springs on the way, so we should be in our new home around August 5th or 6th. Got to say I'm feeling pretty damn good right now.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Stop by phoenix, that way it's cool when you get here.

Well, maybe we'll bring a little of cooler weather and moisture with us to give ya'll a break from the heat. Most of the crap we're bringing is coming packed and tarped in a friend's pickup and utility trailer, so that almost guarantees rain.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Well, maybe we'll bring a little of cooler weather and moisture with us to give ya'll a break from the heat. Most of the crap we're bringing is coming packed and tarped in a friend's pickup and utility trailer, so that almost guarantees rain.

Think you could just pass through East Texas and bring us some summer showers?

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Think you could just pass through East Texas and bring us some summer showers?

Furthest east we were going was going to be i-45, but when I was planning out our route, the half-way point between Colorado Springs and Magnolia was in some tiny little towns without a place to stay, so we're adding just a few miles and we're going from Co Springs to Lubbock, then across I-20 to Hwy 6 for the bulk of that leg. We aren't even going as far east as 45 now. But we'll try to fan some of that moisture your way :laughing:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Furthest east we were going was going to be i-45, but when I was planning out our route, the half-way point between Colorado Springs and Magnolia was in some tiny little towns without a place to stay, so we're adding just a few miles and we're going from Co Springs to Lubbock, then across I-20 to Hwy 6 for the bulk of that leg. We aren't even going as far east as 45 now. But we'll try to fan some of that moisture your way :laughing:

Much appreciated!

Y'all have a safe trip getting here though.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom