• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midnightrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I live in a small community between Dallas and Denton Texas and just wanted to put out the word. Weekends and evenings everyone is out mowing, running errands, etc. and we are always having the door-bell rang with people selling everything from meat to roofing. Saturday, my next door neighbor was out mowing and had gone back inside for lunch when he saw a man come up his walkway to the front door. My neighbor just ignored the chiming doorbell figuring it was a salesman. He proceed out to his garage and the yard-work, but when entered the garage from the house he found a man crouched inside the open garage behind his car. The man bolted and my neighbor gave chase, but both got away (our guess is that one guy kept you busy at the front door while the other helped himself to your stuff. The police were called, but the would-be robbers are still on the loose, the pair appear to be Hispanic.
    My takeaways were mixed, I generally don't carry at home and if they'd picked my house I would have been caught weaponless at the moment. Even if I had been carrying at the time and the BG had bolted I doubt I'd want to chase him through the neighborhood with my weapon raised. Also except as a last resort (I'm attacked) I doubt I'd even shoot, because of the danger of hitting my neighbors, in this case I'd let the police handle the situation. What are your thoughts?
    DK Firearms

zaraster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Ennis
    When a thief comes into my home like that i assume they are prepaired for what ever defence I come up with. I have no desire to shoot anyone but I have worked damn hard for everything I own.. That said i still don't know what i would do.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Thanks for sharing. Living in Flower Mound it's good to know what's happening in the area. I've never liked this false sense of security so many people have (mostly transplants moving here based on the charming statistics) making people feel like they live in a bubble.

In the last couple of months people are getting an idea about how the bubble works, especially when all the new shopping and retail high end retail they all think they need is going in, attracting a whole new wave of people. We've had a pharmacy robbed, about 100 yards form the back door of the new FMPD and Courts building, a bank in a grocery store robbed (kids caught) etc. etc. And all the break-ins to businesses along major roads that have always been kept quiet. Near misses with child abductions, home burglary's etc.

People like to pretend they live in a fantasy world. It's a great part of the DFW area, but we still have to keep our eyes open and take action to let the would be BG's know we aren't taking their shit and to move on. Too bad so many people would rather turn their head the other way and ignore it.

If you don't mind be asking, where did this happen?

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    The thugs have cars and spare time - no idea why people think that crime will never happen in their nice community and instead stick to "the wrong side of the tracks."

midnightrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Thanks for sharing. Living in Flower Mound it's good to know what's happening in the area. I've never liked this false sense of security so many people have (mostly transplants moving here based on the charming statistics) making people feel like they live in a bubble.

In the last couple of months people are getting an idea about how the bubble works, especially when all the new shopping and retail high end retail they all think they need is going in, attracting a whole new wave of people. We've had a pharmacy robbed, about 100 yards form the back door of the new FMPD and Courts building, a bank in a grocery store robbed (kids caught) etc. etc. And all the break-ins to businesses along major roads that have always been kept quiet. Near misses with child abductions, home burglary's etc.

People like to pretend they live in a fantasy world. It's a great part of the DFW area, but we still have to keep our eyes open and take action to let the would be BG's know we aren't taking their shit and to move on. Too bad so many people would rather turn their head the other way and ignore it.

If you don't mind be asking, where did this happen?

Lewisville about a block from Flower Mound off of Kirkpatrick.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'd probably just scare them off. If they attempted to confront me or didn't run off, then I would take it as a sign of aggression or intent to injure me, and proper response would then be taken, up to and including firing my weapon.

Delta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    North Texas
    The same problem in The Colony, Tx

We have the same problem in The Colony, they try and distract you and then hit your garage.
    I keep telling folks to shut your garage door because they will walk in and steal you blind.

In my house if the 110lb Golden Retriever does not get them first, they will be shot period. ( 1911 45acp)

My neighbors have been hit already last week.

Keep you eyes open folks, they are getting brave.

B

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Same problem out in my folks neighborhood as well. It happening everywhere. A loop of about 40 houses and these burglars like to come in also during daylight hours, usually in the mid afternoon when people are still at work and running errands. (They come at night too).

I've chased several people out of my yard and vehicles, and have pursued them in my truck when they jump in a get away vehicle parked around the corner. I have read LP# and called the Sheriff as I am on their tail. Personally, it'd be nice to be rid of these good-for-nothings once and for all, when I have a chance too. Though that is a very big step, if you understand me correctly.

My suggestion, post your 'No Trespassing' signs. If you can, put up a camera system so you can have their picture for proof and go to the cops. That might be enough to stop that particular guy when he's arrested (also by extension, they may also crack a burglary ring). BUT, there will ALWAYS be opportunist like this and the rate at which these occur seems to be getting more frequent. Doing the yard and working on trucks, close the big garage door if you're not in there. Otherwise, you'll have lookie-lous scouting the place or walking in.

The same people will return to take what they 'almost had'. Stay prepared.

Of course, if you can clock the guy on the back of the head with a bat, tie him up, err make a citizens arrest and call the cops...that's one way to thwart their burglary attempt... :cool:

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    ...I generally don't carry at home and if they'd picked my house I would have been caught weaponless at the moment.

What are your thoughts?

Personally, I ALWAYS carry even in the house. Some may think it excessive or paranoid but I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

But I agree with you about not chasing through the neighborhood, although they'd have to run a ways to get off of my property.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My wife, bless her heart, refuses to believe anyone would have the audacity to enter our open garage door during daylight hours. It is a constant reminder on my part to get her to close the door when she is not out there. I'll keep working with her though!

This might be a bit off-color, but have your neighbor rob you blind one day to prove a point.

xrocket

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Funny thing is where we use to live, we watched a car pull up to the neighbors house across the street, a girl jumped out, ran into the garage and ran out with his golf clubs faster than you could turn around. It happened so fast. My wife saw this and she could not believe her eyes.

She is a bit naive! :)

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    I am not to sharp about politics but I think that they should pass a bill that brings back long swords and battle axes. I think tha once a few BG's get lopped in half or limbs missing i think that most would think twice about robbing somebody. I would rather get shot dead then chopped in half. Inmho

Top Bottom