• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    One day I met a guy for this thing. We had a discussion about the attitudes towards gun owners in the general parts of the state. I was somewhat surprised when he said that a particular area of N.TX had a reputation for being unfriendly to gun owners.

By answering this question, if someone does it with enough detail, it ought to confirm the areas named. If not, I'll chalk it up to tall tales.

Is this a fish story or is there some truth to it?

Edit: Adding that I've come across no problems to speak of while up here. In fact, I'm falling in love with TX all over again. I just read an article that had some information I found curious and connected a few dots. That's what brought this post up.
    Venture Surplus ad

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I don't think I can say I've ever heard that, but keep in mind, some areas of northern DFW are heavily, I mean heavily populated by transplants from around the country. When you have the growth we've had from transplants, the culture becomes diluted and all of a sudden, people have a problem with local ways of life because it's different than Chicago, or LA or New York etc. I say, Duh!! Now adapt or go away.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Dang yankees!!!

I think Dallas is more like San Fran. Austin is getting run down, I was downtown and I was a little surprised to see all the improvements that need to be done. That and all the bums, college, and other people that just standing around on the street corners doing absolutely nothing. Of course maybe some of that isnt new?? I rarely travel into Austin anymore.

sjones

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    carrollton,texas
    I always heard that anyone from north of the red river is a yankee.I've lived in San Antone,Houston and now Dallas but I refuse to move any farther north.As long as I'm south of the river I'm fine.sj

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Austin is getting run down, I was downtown and I was a little surprised to see all the improvements that need to be done. That and all the bums, college, and other people that just standing around on the street corners doing absolutely nothing. Of course maybe some of that isnt new?? I rarely travel into Austin anymore.

Austin is far from run down. It's had so much growth and new construction downtown that I barely recognize it. I remember when South Congress was nothing but run down hole in the walls and small shops that were populated by crack heads and street urchins late at night. Now it's this upscale trendy area with a new name, "SoCo".

Austin has always had the bums. It's just part of the liberal atmosphere here.

sean_bart1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Greenville TX
    I think all are right on the "transplants". I, being from a small-er North Texas town, still use and/or know what a blinker is. The bad part is out here in Greenville, we've had a recent invasion of rich snobs in fancy cars, that just don't seem to understand what RANCHHAND is. God help us if they all stay.....

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    One day I met a guy for this thing. We had a discussion about the attitudes towards gun owners in the general parts of the state. I was somewhat surprised when he said that a particular area of N.TX had a reputation for being unfriendly to gun owners.

Yes it is true. Many areas are doing everything they can to stamp out hunting/shooting. See my thread below, note both sponsors are from NTX.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...n-shooting-hunting-areas-texas.html#post51377

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Austin has always had the bums. It's just part of the liberal atmosphere here.

I can see that being a big cause. There are tons of bums in Berkeley and San Francisco. SF ain't that bad, overall. You just have to learn how to say "no" without breaking stride or even thinking about it, really. Berkeley bums are bad, though. I had one castigate me for not giving him spare change. "I'm just trying to survive here, man." Yeah... cause I'm trying to die. Moron.

DopaVash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx
    My tiny Podunk town is all about firearms. There's a trooper that lives next door who likes to show off his M4 to us Gun Nutz.

Apparently there's another who thinks that no one but officers should even own guns tho. :( Most certainly the exception.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Hahaha, wish I could have said ... try harder, go get a job!

I figured it'd be best to let it go. Berkeley is really odd. They love their panhandlers (most of whom have homes and cars). Plus, this was in an area where he was one of about 10 panhandlers working. Insult them all at the same time? It might be fun inflicting some damage... until I got swarmed under.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Austin isn't great in terms of firearms tolerance, but it hasn't interfered with my ownership or range time (yet). This is a very culturally diverse city and unfortunately as mentioned earlier there are going to be people coming in from very anti-firearm areas like NYC and LA. They want to change this place more to what they are used to and I think it's working. I've lived here my whole life so far and I'm sure some day I will move out because of it.

Top Bottom