• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gringo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2020
    Houston Texas
    So my scope experience is very limited. I have a few Contender barrels with some Leupold pistol scopes. I have a .308 bolt action rifle with 3x9 scope on it that I have had for 30+ years. I have a very early version of an AIMPOINT red dot rimfire site........it has the rimfire mount, a small glass dome on top to gather light and illuminate the red dot. That is pretty much my experience with optics.

What I am looking for is a NEW version of that AIMPOINT red dot site. Does anyone make a site that will go on an AR platform that doesn't use batteries? I would think there would be a market for that type of site. This rifle will only be used at the range......in the sunlight/daylight.......NOT looking for a combat style or any great magnification.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Yes, several manufacturers make self illuminated sights with tritium and an open top to gather light.

Infact I just say some new ones in the last couple days. Stand by and I will get a couple links.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

Huntsman52

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    San Antonio
    I am impressed with the PA 1x prism. Shake awake tech, super long batt life, clear reticle, and super clear glass. It also comes with any mount height imaginable. Highly recomended having been using one.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I know you said no batteries…but you also mentioned Aimpoint so I figured I’d share this.

A new, affordable Aimpoint RDS was shown at the shot show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    If you can stick a battery in there and not worry about it for 10+ years isnt it close enough

I got an Aimpoint T1 micro that's still running off the original battery it came with around 2008

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Vortex makes a red dot that uses a battery and or a solar panel as well. I have one but have not mounted it yet so am only guessing you could run it without the battery and just on solar power. It has a very long expected battery life though because of the solar cell on it. It's called the Vortex SPARC Solar. It is discounted from the MSRP ($399.99) by quite a good sum and if you can join Expert Voice, it is discounted even more. I picked up mine for $218.49 shipped. I wrote "...if you can join..." ExpertVoice because you may need an invitation from them to join, anyway they sent me one and that is how I found out about them and there are some limitations as to who can join and some requirements to fulfill to join as well. (Just checked and they have a "Join Now" icon on their home page,so I guess an invite is no longer needed but there are still requirements you need to fullfil.) Anyhow, they offer additional discounts from about 40 to 60% depending on which company from which participating company you are purchasing.

Back to the SPARC Solar, like any Vortex optic (as far as I aware), it has a lifetime replacement warranty that is amazing in its coverage. I own a couple of glass optics by them and am quite satisfied with them even though I can be a picky grump.

See: https://vortexoptics.com/sparc-solar-red-dot.html

By the way, thanks for reminding me - need to mount that SPARC Solar on one of my ARs an take it to the range to check it out.

Edited To Add: Just checked the manual for the SPARC Solar and it confirmed that it can run on battery and/or solar power.

The SPARC® Solar red dot operates by solar power (monocrystalline solar cell) and/or battery power, and is equipped with Auto D-TEC technology. In lower light conditions, the SPARC® Solar will automatically draw power from the battery to power the LED. Under most outdoor, daytime conditions, the SPARC® Solar will operate exclusively on solar power. Indoor lighting is not sufficient to power the SPARC® Solar using solar power alone and will need to draw power from the battery to operate. (Source: page six at https://vortexoptics.widen.net/view...-1_WEB.pdf?t.download=true&u=ymrkrm&x.share=t)

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    If you can stick a battery in there and not worry about it for 10+ years isnt it close enough

I got an Aimpoint T1 micro that's still running off the original battery it came with around 2008
    The thing about ones that run on batteries alone, even for 10 years of battery life, is that once the battery dies - it may be impossible to find a repalcement battery for it. I have that problem with an old red dot of mine. The only batteries seemingly availble to replace the original are made in China and numerous reviews of those currently available Chinese knockoffs indicate they are nothing more than useless ripoffs that have zero power. At least if you get a solar powered red dot, it possibly will work at least during sunny daylight hours if no replacement batteries are available. Still though 10 years would be a good run.

Last edited:

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Trijicon RMR has a couple of models that are fiber optic for daylight and tritium for night.

They also have the Accupoint line of scopes that have a center dot illuminated by fiber optic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Acog. The TA11's are great as a general purpose do-all optic, and are about as bomb proof as it gets. Tritium and fiber optic, with an etched reticle.

They have 1.5 models for close up stuff.

They aren't cheap, but they have excellent FOV and optical clarity

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I am more interested in your red dot. Is it the one that has a bullet shaped (perhaps semi spherical) front to gather light? Is there a chance that you could post a picture of it? I remember seeing one in magazines 40 years ago, but I never have known anyone that had one.

Top Bottom