• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    Why have one gun? During the day my carry gun fits what I wear and usually is a 45 from Georgetown, Texas (STI). In the evening I could have anything from a Serbu shorty 12 gauge to an MP5 on the nightstand; I use the STI tactical with a TLR-2 laser light most every night.

At night I want a pistol so I can move and not have something that can be easily be taken away from me. A light on the pistol only has me reaching for one item if I need to do so. I used to leave a suppressor on the pistol but have since decided the grab handle for someone else is not an adequate reason to do so. No suppressor, just a small package that I can use to hold my ground while on the cell phone or move about the house. Anything larger could be an issue.
    Target Sports

TexZaa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Cedar Park, Texas
    Why have one gun? During the day my carry gun fits what I wear and usually is a 45 from Georgetown, Texas (STI). In the evening I could have anything from a Serbu shorty 12 gauge to an MP5 on the nightstand; I use the STI tactical with a TLR-2 laser light most every night.

At night I want a pistol so I can move and not have something that can be easily be taken away from me. A light on the pistol only has me reaching for one item if I need to do so. I used to leave a suppressor on the pistol but have since decided the grab handle for someone else is not an adequate reason to do so. No suppressor, just a small package that I can use to hold my ground while on the cell phone or move about the house. Anything larger could be an issue.

I like the way you think. After all. The only thing that separates us from the animal kingdom is our ability to accessorize.

Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    Bigger holes are even better.

I agree.

Another wise man once said -

"carry the biggest gun you shoot well"

.45 makes me feel warm inside. 10+ rounds of .45 makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

In all honesty though, I'll take anything 9mm and higher. I dont really care what it is. I own 9mms because it's just easy to standardize across the board with the same caliber/mags/holster. It's also cheaper to shoot and easier to come by.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If you hit your target correctly, then anything after one round is not needed unless there are multiple targets.

Even a headshot isn't fatal 100% of the time.

A hog took a .204 Ruger (which is an explosive round, insane damage) through the skull, a .308 180 gr. SP through the shoulder and chest, and ran off, took another 32 rounds of assorted hollow point bullets from a 9mm and .45 to kill it over the course of it running another 100 yards.

All it takes is for one person to decide that they want to live bad enough, and they can do the same as that hog. Animals are just instinctive survivors.

That hog taught me and friends alot about lethality, even with good shot placement.

Texas Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    You may be right about that. The light I placed on the XD-45 is a Streamlight TLR-1. The specs say: "Up to 7,000 candela peak beam intensity and up to 135 lumens". The night I brought it home I stayed awake after all the lights had gone out and allowed a good thirty minutes to allow my eyes to be dark adapted, I went into the bathroom and shined the thing in the mirror at myself. I physically couldn't keep my eyes open to look at it.

:eek:
    Mine is 150lumens with "strobe".. and that strobe effect is knarly!

TexZaa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Cedar Park, Texas

A hog took a .204 Ruger (which is an explosive round, insane damage) through the skull, a .308 180 gr. SP through the shoulder and chest, and ran off, took another 32 rounds of assorted hollow point bullets from a 9mm and .45 to kill it over the course of it running another 100 yards.

All it takes is for one person to decide that they want to live bad enough, and they can do the same as that hog. Animals are just instinctive survivors.

That hog taught me and friends alot about lethality, even with good shot placement.

That hog wasn't wearing a hockey mask was it?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You may be right about that. The light I placed on the XD-45 is a Streamlight TLR-1. The specs say: "Up to 7,000 candela peak beam intensity and up to 135 lumens". The night I brought it home I stayed awake after all the lights had gone out and allowed a good thirty minutes to allow my eyes to be dark adapted, I went into the bathroom and shined the thing in the mirror at myself. I physically couldn't keep my eyes open to look at it.

:eek:

I have a TLR-1 and love it. It throws some light!!

Mine is 150lumens with "strobe".. and that strobe effect is knarly!

Easy to do with the TLR - I just bounce the switch.

DRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    I have a TLR-1 and love it. It throws some light!!

Easy to do with the TLR - I just bounce the switch.

I got the TLR1 on my Glock and a Fenix PD30+ in my left hand.
    Id imagine I look like a mack truck coming down my hallway with those beams on. lol

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009

I'll remember that if my home is ever invaded by a hog.

I understand the point you're trying to make about nothing being 100% certain, but I prefer to live in the world where 99% of the time this works. If I ever find myself in one of those 1% freak situations, I'll adapt, improvise and overcome. Until then I'll just prepare for the 99% issues.

Besides, even though it took 34 rounds to bring down the hog in your story (not too many nightstand pistols hold that many rounds), the hog WAS smart enough to start running away after only the first 2 shots. If I can make them run away with no more than 2 shots, I can live with that.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    If a man doesn't go down after the first round (it happens) place a couple in the pelvis. All the PCP in the world won't help you walk with a shattered pelvis. Large easy target.

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Concealed carry is one thing. Home defense is entirely another. If I get up in the middle of the night, it's with my shotgun. As for the mounted light discussion, I'd like to add one thing - prep your house and train yourself. I walk around my house at night with my eyes closed damn near every night just to make sure I know where every corner, stair, rail, or piece of furniture is. I can go anywhere in my house completely blind. That helps with light discipline. I don't need to hit the switch on my foregrip until I have a bead on the target. I also have those little nightlight things positioned so that if I come out of my room at night, the outer rooms are slightly illuminated and I'm not. They're like the Timex Indiglo things. Bright enough to assist, but they don't take away night sight (similar to these).

Anyway, the lights are tactically valuable, but as always, nothing is a substitute for training. It's your terrain - own it.

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    If a man doesn't go down after the first round (it happens) place a couple in the pelvis. All the PCP in the world won't help you walk with a shattered pelvis. Large easy target.

Good point. When I do practice sweeps with my shotgun in the house, I actually simulate aiming lower than level. In addition to the pelvic area making a good target for a number of reasons, I prefer to have the shots proceed on a downward trajectory if I have to consider over-penetration. I use #4 shot, and my outer walls are brick, but still.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

My understanding is that handguns don't typically pack the punch to shatter bones. They'll break them fine, but if you want shattered bone, you need a projectile traveling over 2000 feet per second.

Top Bottom