• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks for the suggestion! After you posted I looked at his course offerings and the courses I saw appeared to target LEO and civilian contractor military units.

He was being facetious. Yaeger is an ass clown.

There are lots of good instructors out there, unfortunately there are even more bad ones. Sounds like what you needed was more of a LTC type instructor. Then only one day. Go home, practice what you learned, take anothe course from someone else. Repeat.
    Gun Zone Deals

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Also, you need to learn to read resumes. Most of those instructors skill sets is useless to what you want to accomplish. The first guy is a High Speed, Low Drag, Bad Ass, no doubt about it. All useless for your need. Same for many of the others.

Only one guy even mentions being an NRA Instructor & is also a LTC Instructor. Does not mention how many years of experience. None discuss who they trained under.

Compare them, to this:

https://www.krtraining.com/newinst/karlbio.html

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Damn dude. Not a paid advertiser but my Situational Awareness class is $250, about 4-6 hours, covers a lot of walking around Austin and areas near by ending with a couple of hours of shoot/don’t shoot and general fun stuff at a private range. Oh, and part of the SA is making observations at a restaurant where I buy lunch. Only do a max of 2 students at a time( prefer to do 1-1)
    Sounds like fun, I'm just about in.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    He was being facetious. Yaeger is an ass clown.

There are lots of good instructors out there, unfortunately there are even more bad ones. Sounds like what you needed was more of a LTC type instructor. Then only one day. Go home, practice what you learned, take anothe course from someone else. Repeat.

Sarcasm may be above some people's pay grade!

I did point these things to the OP on another thread, as did several others. But I think the problem was, he had already booked the course in advance of his joining TGT. So damage was already done. I think he has found out, that researching before spending money is the way to go. Of course, in this case it was a very expensive lesson he learned.

It further reinforces my opinions that checking such people and places out with due diligence is necessary and prudent.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Sarcasm may be above some people's pay grade!
    I'll admit to being the one suggesting you needed a thicker skin. But after some observation I'm coming to realize you need figure out a way to heal faster. You get a little butt hurt n' damned if you ain't near bled out from the wound a rubber bullet caused.
    You very much resemble the dog in your avatar... Yappin' and yippin' nipping at my heels - quite the nuisance - but incapable of doing me any real harm! Question for you! Have you considered a picture of an house fly for your avatar. Might be a closer resemblance!

Just a note to get you up to speed on sarcasm... It only works IF the person you're addressing is aware of it. Having no idea who/what Jay Yaeger is/was your sarcasm bullet totally missed the mark!!! I'm so surprised... Yeah.

Last edited:

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Also, you need to learn to read resumes. Most of those instructors skill sets is useless to what you want to accomplish. The first guy is a High Speed, Low Drag, Bad Ass, no doubt about it. All useless for your need. Same for many of the others.

Only one guy even mentions being an NRA Instructor & is also a LTC Instructor. Does not mention how many years of experience. None discuss who they trained under.

Compare them, to this:

https://www.krtraining.com/newinst/karlbio.html

Thanks... As stated in an earlier post finding suitable facilities, coupled with an instructor, proved rather difficult. I'm not totally ignorant when it comes to researching. I found little in the way of training, in the Houston area, that matched up with what I thought I wanted. Most indoor, and many outdoor, ranges do not offer, best I could find, what I was told I signed up for. You puts yur money downs ya' takes ya' chances. Lotta folks seem to be translating where I'm at with this experience. I'm not mad - I'm disappointed. I got some value for my time/money; just not as much as I was led to believe I'd get. That's life.

Mmmm... never even considered resumes. Well... duh. Mostly I used course description "ASSUMING" they were qualified to teach it. I did find the 5 star rating on AWATT and realized it was a pretty small sample and taken with a grain of salt. I spoke with the instructor several times via phone to discuss my intentions, what I wanted us to be exposed to - just all round a general description of what I was hoping to experience. I was assured I would receive just that. Beyond that not a lot I could do at the time. Got mo' experience now!

Last edited:

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Day 3 report....

Showed up and true to his word there was a "windowed" wall on the range. We did our standard "get loosened up" drill stationary metal target at ~15' drill. Then we ran a drill utilizing the windowed wall. It was a decent drill: firing from different heights at different angles and shooting at different angles from the same windowed port. Might come in useful some day....

Earlier I stated either the owner is a active member of TGT, monitors TGT or is being notified of my postings here. Why would I think that? As soon as we got out of the truck, we parked on the range, the instructor stated "I set up a paper target and we'll be working that some today."

After the windowed wall drill we started in on the paper target. Didn't have so much to do with aiming/accuracy per se but it did cover that 1' - 3' space. It did include weapon presentation in close quarters to keep the weapon from being taken from you, how to fire from the hip, while retreating, and raising the weapon to an aiming/firing position while retreating as the distance permits. We practiced that drill, and variations of it, for the remainder of the day. I felt it was a good day. Did it make up for two bad days. Nope.

After the final day course we went to AGIS Gun range to try to correct some aiming problems. They absolutely do not permit steel casings on their range! I'd loaded 200 rds steel casing and 200 rds brass casings in the range bag. They made us put the steel casings back in the truck before allowed on the range. I went to Agis because I knew they had a P226 rental. Well.... #1 Their rentals are by the hour. @ 14 bucks an hour. Not bad but then... you must purchase your ammo from them to use in that rental. 50 rds. 115g FMJ - $40.00 a box. Said "No thanks". We took turns with my daughters S&W M&P Shield. Actually not a bad little gun and accurate - if one will stop flinching before the round goes off!

We both need a lot of work on aiming! We were not so bad that'd you'd want to be standing in front of us when we fired but the groupings were pretty poor. Nothing practice can't heal. My daughter has a new "beau" he's a hunter and has a berm already established on the back of his property out in the country. Daughter plans on purchasing some metal targets to complement paper target practice. I can see that.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'll admit to being the one suggesting you needed a thicker skin. But after some observation I'm coming to realize you need figure out a way to heal faster. You get a little butt hurt n' damned if you ain't near bled out from the wound a rubber bullet caused.
    You very much resemble the dog in your avatar... Yappin' and yippin' nipping at my heels - quite the nuisance - but incapable of doing me any real harm! Question for you! Have you considered a picture of an house fly for your avatar. Might be a closer resemblance!

Just a note to get you up to speed on sarcasm... It only works IF the person you're addressing is aware of it. Having no idea who/what Jay Yaeger is/was your sarcasm bullet totally missed the mark!!! I'm so surprised... Yeah.

Several options as to replies to the post came to mind. but they would have more than likely gotten me a vacation from the forum, so I'm going to just let you have the last word on this. You're just not worth it Doug!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    OP, you’re learning a lot of things going thru this experience, it’s just aren’t what you were expecting.

The good thing is that you have a goal...a place you want to be. From your posts, it seems like now that you’ve picked a spot on the map, you don’t have a heading to get there, but you’re velocity is set high.

That’s how we somewhere by accident.

I sense there are two separate paths on your journey...one path is SA based, the other path is shooting skills based. Trying to fit both into one three day class is a huge cognitive load, even with sound fundamental shooting skills. If that foundation doesn’t exist it’s nearly unachievable, because you’re working on establishing gross and fine motor skills while also dividing you computing power to recognize and critically assess everything you see, hear, smell, and feel around you.

For the shooting skills you seek to improve, I’d look for one of the IDPA clubs and seek out instructors in that discipline and spend a lot of time on the skills you can practice with dry fire or your air gun analog. Start slow, get it right, then start to combine the actions. For example, you’ve worked in your grip, great. Now work on the draw to low ready from holster how you’d normally carry and getting the grip you want. Don’t even pull the trigger yet, because the next step is draw to low ready to sight picture on target. Do that 50 times a day, every day. Speed doesn’t matter, and going any faster than slow will work against you until you’re proficient.

For understanding how to build and incorporate SA skills, this guy has a decent series of instructional videos available for free.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    OP, you’re learning a lot of things going thru this experience, it’s just aren’t what you were expecting.

The good thing is that you have a goal...a place you want to be. From your posts, it seems like now that you’ve picked a spot on the map, you don’t have a heading to get there, but you’re velocity is set high.

That’s how we somewhere by accident.

I sense there are two separate paths on your journey...one path is SA based, the other path is shooting skills based. Trying to fit both into one three day class is a huge cognitive load, even with sound fundamental shooting skills. If that foundation doesn’t exist it’s nearly unachievable, because you’re working on establishing gross and fine motor skills while also dividing you computing power to recognize and critically assess everything you see, hear, smell, and feel around you.

For the shooting skills you seek to improve, I’d look for one of the IDPA clubs and seek out instructors in that discipline and spend a lot of time on the skills you can practice with dry fire or your air gun analog. Start slow, get it right, then start to combine the actions. For example, you’ve worked in your grip, great. Now work on the draw to low ready from holster how you’d normally carry and getting the grip you want. Don’t even pull the trigger yet, because the next step is draw to low ready to sight picture on target. Do that 50 times a day, every day. Speed doesn’t matter, and going any faster than slow will work against you until you’re proficient.

For understanding how to build and incorporate SA skills, this guy has a decent series of instructional videos available for free.

You may not know how much I appreciate your well thought out and worded response - but I do appreciate it. You were/are absolutely 100% dead on target. Trying to cram too much into the bag in too little time. But I had good intentions! :green:

Had to look up IDPA..... Now need to find one for me a bit closer than North or West Houston. Need to find one for the daughter as well. That is excellent advice. I'm aware of the benefits of being a member of associations with the core interest one has. Some of the advanced members can see/note a deficiency one has before one has the ability to even ask the correct question.

Thanks again for the good/sound advice. Rest assured it will be heeded!

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    You may not know how much I appreciate your well thought out and worded response - but I do appreciate it. You were/are absolutely 100% dead on target. Trying to cram too much into the bag in too little time. But I had good intentions! :green:

Had to look up IDPA..... Now need to find one for me a bit closer than North or West Houston. Need to find one for the daughter as well. That is excellent advice. I'm aware of the benefits of being a member of associations with the core interest one has. Some of the advanced members can see/note a deficiency one has before one has the ability to even ask the correct question.

Thanks again for the good/sound advice. Rest assured it will be heeded!
    Doug......I just gotta know......Did you guys actually use the knee-elbow pads you were required to bring?

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Lol... nope! I asked the instructor, at the end of the first day, if we were actually going to need them. He replied“Nope!” Didn’t even take’em the last 2 days. Also said “long pants” instructor showed up in shorts on day 2. Doug joined him in that attire on day 3.

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    Lol... nope! I asked the instructor, at the end of the first day, if we were actually going to need them. He replied“Nope!” Didn’t even take’em the last 2 days. Also said “long pants” instructor showed up in shorts on day 2. Doug joined him in that attire on day 3.
    LMAO......So the knee and elbow pads were for the price he charged you for the training

Top Bottom