Join TexasGunTalk

Notify officer of firearm in vehicle?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Fosty 2.0, Jun 6, 2019.

1. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I generally do the same. I set the cruise.

However, in May I went to Austin to help a friend bury her son (horrible story) on a Sunday. Headed back to Ft Worth I slid in behind a Mustang GT350 who was in the left lane of 35 (three lanes each direction) who was driving rather "exuberantly". I locked in at about 8 car lengths.

We still had to move around slower vehicles on occasion, but I was surprised at how many people moved over.

BillFairbanks and ZX9RCAM like this.
  2. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 TGT Addict

Nov 7, 2015
    I'm with Bill FB - I set the cruise at the speed limit. I 'never' get pulled over.........

Stay within the speed limit and like Bill, no L.E. worries, less likely a crash, less trauma (maybe) if there is one, and easier on the BP.

You that boast about your 'heavy foot' and then complain when you get popped for speeding. (laughing out loud) Then commence to act righteously indignant when caught speeding, reminds me of those I see on PD Live whinging about how they ought to be allowed to speed, while having no/or revoked driver license, but were just going to the grocery store, as if there's an allowance with no license to 'just go to the grocery store for gawd's sakes, you unreasonable cops.

My point: Obey the law and you'll have fewer problems.

Oh, and quit whining when caught breaking the law.....

3. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I know I've said I like to drive fast, but I never mentioned or complained about being pulled over.
    If I'm speeding and get caught, it's my fault, nobody else's.

ETA: For the record, in my twenties, I got a nice letter from the state of Texas asking me to send them my license.
    Something about too many moving violations in one year...

Dad_Roman likes this.
  4. Sam7sf

Sam7sf TGT Addict

Apr 13, 2018
    Dfw metromess.
    Seriously, thank you for pulling that ******* over.

5. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    I make a number of long trips. That extra hour is important to me.

And the added accident risk is negligible.

rmantoo likes this.
  6. Younggun

Younggun Ginger Avenger TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don’t know why y’all make the issue of getting pulled over so complicated. Just let the cop know you are carrying at the earliest possible moment.

I’ve given this advice I don’t know how many times and it still comes up so I’ll say it again.

When you get pulled over and have come to a complete stop simply wave your firearm out the window and scream at the officer “I HAVE A GUN!” At that point he will know and there won’t be any surprises when he gets to your window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jordanmills, Dad_Roman, Kar98 and 9 others like this.
  7. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    I have only had a DPS officer stop me for 5 mph over once. When he came up and said he had clocked me at 75 in a 70, I have to admit I gave him a "you gotta be kidding me" look. He got a sheepish look on his face. Verbal warning and back on the road.

Otherwise, I can't count the number of DPS radars I have gone by at 5 mph over and nary a blink. If they are up on the quota (unofficial quota, of course), they may not stop anybody for less than 10-12 mph over.

8. GoPappy

GoPappy Active Member

Dec 18, 2015
    What a great idea! I'll try that and let you know how it works out for me.

On second thought, I'll leave instructions in my will for my wife to let you know. ;)

DoubleDuty and Sam7sf like this.
  9. candcallen

candcallen Active Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    FIFY

10. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

jordanmills, Dad_Roman and rmantoo like this.