Join TexasGunTalk

Now Is The Time!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Charlie, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    If one has ever considered "reloading" (or hand loading as I like to call it), now is the time to begin. At least begin collecting brass, purchasing the equipment and supplies, manuals, getting instruction from a friend that hand loads, etc. I'd bet costs are going to increase for equipment, powder, bullets, cases, etc. Unfortunately, there will be more vendors that will discontinue selling loaded ammo. The price will go up when it can be found! Just my two bits!

2. TheMailMan

TheMailMan Well-Known

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Anyone in the DFW area that wants to learn about reloading is welcome to contact me.

3. Charlie

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Good for you! I'd help out anyone around Kerr County! If I can do it, anybody can! Been doing it for about 12 yrs. or so and haven't blown anything up yet! One of the best things about hand loading is that you can find exactly what your firearm likes best, especially in long guns. And it's ............ very inexpensive.

4. Charley

Charley Active Member

Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    ...very inexpensive? If you want to start reloading, do realize you won't save a single dime. You will be able to shoot more for the same amount, though. As mentioned, now probably would be a good time to start. I suspect ammunition and reloading components will get scarcer again. The last "great shortage" was during the Oblabla years. Primers, powder and brass became tougher to find. Many reloaders who went through that began to stockpile stuff.

rmantoo likes this.
  5. TxStetson

TxStetson Usually Here TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

I’d be willing to help any forum members around Abilene, but they’ve all been reloading longer than me.

jordanmills and rmantoo like this.
  6. mamboloco

mamboloco Active Member

Aug 14, 2019
    DFW
    thanks! I got a Lee losdmaster wainting to setup :)

7. GasGuzzler

GasGuzzler Member

May 19, 2018
    Gainesville
    It's also time to stock up on supplies when there are good deals, free shipping, hazmat fee reductions, and rebates. There's no reason to panic but prices are pretty good right now but generally will not stay that way through an election year.

toddnjoyce likes this.
  8. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire Ego kills talent TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    You: tenor.gif

Me: tenor.gif

deemus, rmantoo, Bozz10mm and 3 others like this.
  9. Charlie

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    One can save money! Initially there are some costs but one can load not only more accurate rounds and at approximately 20 to 30 percent of what loaded ammo costs. It won't happen overnight but if you're a frequent shooter it is much cheaper. If you're not saving money within a year (could be sooner or later depending on how much you shoot), you're doing something wrong. :green:

10. Charley

Charley Active Member

Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Been handloading for 35 plus years, for about 40 different cartridges, including several obsolete ones that are pretty tough to find. I do save money, many average reloaders don't save much, due to upgrading equipment, higher end components, and so forth. Definitely not telling folks not to reload, just trying too lay out realistic expectations for beginners.

jordanmills and Wildcat Diva like this.