• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    If one has ever considered "reloading" (or hand loading as I like to call it), now is the time to begin. At least begin collecting brass, purchasing the equipment and supplies, manuals, getting instruction from a friend that hand loads, etc. I'd bet costs are going to increase for equipment, powder, bullets, cases, etc. Unfortunately, there will be more vendors that will discontinue selling loaded ammo. The price will go up when it can be found! Just my two bits!
    Gun Zone Deals

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    ...very inexpensive? If you want to start reloading, do realize you won't save a single dime. You will be able to shoot more for the same amount, though. As mentioned, now probably would be a good time to start. I suspect ammunition and reloading components will get scarcer again. The last "great shortage" was during the Oblabla years. Primers, powder and brass became tougher to find. Many reloaders who went through that began to stockpile stuff.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    It's also time to stock up on supplies when there are good deals, free shipping, hazmat fee reductions, and rebates. There's no reason to panic but prices are pretty good right now but generally will not stay that way through an election year.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You:
    tenor.gif

Me:
    tenor.gif

Attachments

• tenor.gif
      tenor.gif
      200 KB · Views: 499
    • tenor.gif
      tenor.gif
      273.7 KB · Views: 527

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    ...very inexpensive? If you want to start reloading, do realize you won't save a single dime. You will be able to shoot more for the same amount, though. As mentioned, now probably would be a good time to start. I suspect ammunition and reloading components will get scarcer again. The last "great shortage" was during the Oblabla years. Primers, powder and brass became tougher to find. Many reloaders who went through that began to stockpile stuff.
    One can save money! Initially there are some costs but one can load not only more accurate rounds and at approximately 20 to 30 percent of what loaded ammo costs. It won't happen overnight but if you're a frequent shooter it is much cheaper. If you're not saving money within a year (could be sooner or later depending on how much you shoot), you're doing something wrong. :green:

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Been handloading for 35 plus years, for about 40 different cartridges, including several obsolete ones that are pretty tough to find. I do save money, many average reloaders don't save much, due to upgrading equipment, higher end components, and so forth. Definitely not telling folks not to reload, just trying too lay out realistic expectations for beginners.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Gotcha' Of course our members, being of the better people of the shooting community (:green:) will most likely not only load ammo superior to store-bought stuff, they will probably be saving some cash after the initial outlay has paid for itself! I'm an optimist. :green: :banana:

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Unfortunately, there will be more vendors that will discontinue selling loaded ammo. The price will go up when it can be found! Just my two bits!

I'm not sure Charlie, it isn't like Vista is going to stop making ammo just because Walmart won't carry them. They will find new outlets and ways to push their products which may very well mean lower prices to break into new distribution channels.

Your LGS should be a prime target but based on some of the things you can see already in the background, they underestimate the difficulty in serving that sales channel, see Accusport and Elliot as examples. The cost of serving Walmart is nothing compared to a LGS or range. Maybe they can do it, but I think it puts pressure to diversify and that should mean they keep price constant since the deal price is now the expected price in those markets.

They are treading water and cNt afford to stop, they are down 200 million in cash flow over a year and profits took hits of at least 10% each quarter over quarter. They are selling what they have and trying to reduce debt but if sales continue to soften will it break them?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    I've never been a big fan of wallyworld. Yes I have bought items there but I try to avoid the local one as much as I can. I've been in a couple in larger cities, etc. but the one we have here sucks big time. The biggest issue is lack of employees (management's fault). One goes into a giant store with six to twelve checkout stations (plus a self-checkout) and there are two, maybe three open (and that's a peak times) that have a human to check you out.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    One can save money! Initially there are some costs but one can load not only more accurate rounds and at approximately 20 to 30 percent of what loaded ammo costs. It won't happen overnight but if you're a frequent shooter it is much cheaper. If you're not saving money within a year (could be sooner or later depending on how much you shoot), you're doing something wrong. :green:

Without casting bullets explain how you can reload 9mm for 23-30% of 15 cents?????

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I agree with the op.

I don't know if all gun stores are like this, but the owner of one of our local gun shops said they order primers once a year, and powder every 4-6 months- that's the only way they can buy enough to get good volume discounts. For them, at least, that means that whenever there is a run on ammo, powder, primers, etc, they have a hard time getting stock on a short term, fast, basis.

If a lot of stores are like that, it makes even more sense that when there is a run on ammo and components it puts even greater stress on the supply chain.

I have well over $5k in equipment- and god only knows how much I've spent in components- but most of my equipment was purchased used, and I shoot a LOT... better than 2k rounds a month, every month, and over 4k if there are any friends or family visiting, which seems to be pretty common.

Last, I got into reloading to save money, but have grown to enjoy it immensely. It's relaxing and has helped me learn a lot more about firearms and shooting along the way.

Top Bottom