• ...and so much more!
  • busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Both you guys make an excellent point.
    Government produces nothing; it does not create, innovate or otherwise contribute to social advancement. It’s primary function is to provide for the common defense. Since our founding in the mid- to late 18th century, there has occurred a fundamental change in mindset and view of the role and function of government. The 21st century’s expectations of the role of government is fundamentally different than the 18th century mindset. We have strayed far afield from the government The Constitution envisioned - probably never to return.

The role of government (as defined by that document): “... establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity...”. We still suffer from the fundamental disagreement of “big government” verses a very “limited government” role in our daily lives. There was a time in our history, the Post Office was the only interface an average citizen had with the federal government.

jcriswell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's not up to DPS.
    Ummm you must not quite understand how government agencies budget process works.
    Each department or agency presents its "wish list" BUDGET complete with justification for each category or item. The legislative budget committee holds hearings and questions about categories and items (for example if the DPS wanted to buy 6 Sherman Tanks) The Committee then votes on what it will fund and what It will not and the entire budget bill then goes to the floor for debate and a final vote on passage. Once passed the agency may shift spending from one category to another only after asking the legislature to "reallocate funds" from one category to another. In an "emergency" the agency has some latitude to move funds from one expenditure to another and and Governor mauy also allocate a one time appropriation to cover the costs. (hurricane, flood, forest fire, prison break, insurrection, "border crisis" has been getting emergency appropriations for years).
    It is this power over the "purse strings" that draws some "many" people to run for office. Spending somebody else's money is a powerful (and addicting) drug.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Yep, just reflect on the "ask" (proposed budget) and the approved amount for expenditures.. Percentage of increase/decrease rising or falling?. Homework is important before we spout off.

Here’s the FY 22 and FY 23 DPS proposed budget

P.17 shows a net increase of $8+M for RSD; p.130 shows a specific line item to modernize the LTC system. Later on there’s some language about shifting funding for certain LTC background checks from RSD to LES because that’s who actually does the work.

There’s much more in there about RSD in general and LTC specifically; I’ll have to see if I can drag up what was approved vs what was proposed and compare them, but whatever your pol is telling you doesn’t align with what the public docs say so far.

jcriswell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You are certainly correct, but never mistake mistake "ask" for "approved" or actually received... budget approvals often change from "budgeted" to funded. Always look for "redirected funds" not where they went but where they came from.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    You are certainly correct, but never mistake mistake "ask" for "approved" or actually received... budget approvals often change from "budgeted" to funded. Always look for "redirected funds" not where they went but where they came from.

Sure, that’s why I need to see the approved appropriation. The LBB hasn’t posted the 2022 and 2023 appropriations yet.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Ummm you must not quite understand how government agencies budget process works.
    Each department or agency presents its "wish list" BUDGET complete with justification for each category or item. The legislative budget committee holds hearings and questions about categories and items (for example if the DPS wanted to buy 6 Sherman Tanks) The Committee then votes on what it will fund and what It will not and the entire budget bill then goes to the floor for debate and a final vote on passage. Once passed the agency may shift spending from one category to another only after asking the legislature to "reallocate funds" from one category to another. In an "emergency" the agency has some latitude to move funds from one expenditure to another and and Governor mauy also allocate a one time appropriation to cover the costs. (hurricane, flood, forest fire, prison break, insurrection, "border crisis" has been getting emergency appropriations for years).
    It is this power over the "purse strings" that draws some "many" people to run for office. Spending somebody else's money is a powerful (and addicting) drug.
    I understand it just fine. They do not have a choice. They are compelled by law to perform the LTC licensing function (ref: https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/GV/htm/GV.411.htm#411.177). They may reduce their budget to effectively make it an unfunded mandate, but they will still be required to accept and process applications and issue licenses per state law.

jcriswell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nor will I but still trying to figure out what advise to give next door neighbor who asks the question: Why if a license is not required, should I volunteer to go get a piece of plastic that the law says is not necessary. My best answer was; If you buy a gun my FFL will just take about 6 minutes of your time. (and a 10 dollar bill).

jcriswell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The point I am trying to make is: I struggle with a reason to tell a new gun owner why they need to apply. Its kinda like registering for the draft right now... "we might need it some day", but we sure do want your money right now... I have yet to see or hear anyone defending the "value" of the CCL every answer is: well, I've have had it for a long time, I might want it, Jeezzzz it's a lot like getting the Covid Jab: The politicians have done their sales job well.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I struggle with a reason to tell a new gun owner why they need to apply.

Personally, I don’t make it my “struggle” to explain to a new gun owner why they should or should not get a LTC. Get it or not get it, I don’t care. And while you may not have cared for Axxe55’s answer, it nevertheless pretty much hits the nail on the head.

What’s a priority for one new gun owner may not be the same priority for another. As you’ve pointed out, saving time and/or money during a firearm purchase may be important to someone and not so much to someone else. If a gun owner travels out of Texas with any degree of regularity, reciprocity between states may be more of a concern for that person. Maybe initial outlay of cash to obtain the LTC may concern one person more than another.

So as Axxe55 pointed out, it’s not a case of one size fits all. But more importantly to me: it’s not a “struggle” I choose to participate in. Pointing out the few pros & cons should equip a “new gun owner” with enough information to either make a decision or at least do a little further research into the matter. Of course, for me personally, I couldn’t help but complicate their life even more by presenting the whole question of “carry insurance”. (But that’s just the way I roll).

Top Bottom