• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Well I submitted my application a few days ago. Now I am just waiting... Man I really had to work for this. :P I will keep track here of the status.

Official day of submission: 10/28/08
    USPS Certify Delivery: Your item was delivered at 9:35 AM on November 3, 2008 in AUSTIN, TX 78761.
    TXDPS: Check Deposit by TXDPS 11/06/08
    TXDPS: Received PIN from TXDPS 11/29/08 - Status: Processing Application
    TXDPS: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active 01/29/08

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    Its a long wait for sure I read on the computer the other day mine app was finished and now it feels like it is taking for ever for my license to get here. Good job on applying for it i am suprised at the amount of people that dont have it.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Well, least you got your stuff in. I need to get in on a class (as of now, classes are filled through Jan at our local place). It's going to be a LONG time until I can even think about carrying :confused:

There has got to be a better way to do this Texas!

DocRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Arlington
    Well, least you got your stuff in. I need to get in on a class (as of now, classes are filled through Jan at our local place). It's going to be a LONG time until I can even think about carrying :confused:

There has got to be a better way to do this Texas!

What part of the state do you live in Shorts? I ask because there are classes scheduled by invitation only with instructors who are top level public servants, such as the County Sheriff, City Mayor, Chief of Police, City Councilman, etc.

These folks frequently schedule classes for "special needs people" who feel an intense need to carry a firearm due to occupational hazards, threats made toward them, single women who work at night, etc. The classes are strictly filled with people referred by former graduates, professional associates, friends, political staff, LEO's, etc..

For some unexplained reason, these classes have some of the fastest turn around times that I have heard of from anywhere in this state. Last night, I was introduced to a recent graduate of an East Texas County Sheriff's class and she had just received her license that afternoon and it had only been five weeks from start to finish. Amazing!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    What part of the state do you live in Shorts? I ask because there are classes scheduled by invitation only with instructors who are top level public servants, such as the County Sheriff, City Mayor, Chief of Police, City Councilman, etc.

These folks frequently schedule classes for "special needs people" who feel an intense need to carry a firearm due to occupational hazards, threats made toward them, single women who work at night, etc. The classes are strictly filled with people referred by former graduates, professional associates, friends, political staff, LEO's, etc..

For some unexplained reason, these classes have some of the fastest turn around times that I have heard of from anywhere in this state. Last night, I was introduced to a recent graduate of an East Texas County Sheriff's class and she had just received her license that afternoon and it had only been five weeks from start to finish. Amazing!

Wow, that's a very fast turn around time.

DocRod, at the moment we are stationed in Japan. I'll be back in Tx (in Corpus or Austin depending on the weekend) in early February. I've looked at the Sharp Shooter in Corpus and their next open class is Feb 14th. They're booked solid between now and then. My Dad has been wanting to get his CHL as well so I asked him if he'd like to take the class that we'd get in on the same one.

Thanks for letting me know about this group.

I'm interested in taking a more specific self defense pistol course after getting the CHL. I'm actually hoping to find an instructor that would be interested in working with me specifically. I'm actually one of those 'special needs' people in that I lost the use of my left arm about 10yrs ago in an auto accident. I have taken a previous ccw class when stationed up in WA and the instructors were pretty helpful. After completeing the class I wasn't a "SD handgun pro" by any stretch but it gave me an initial idea of the types of situations, techniques and drills I can apply. Some specific self defense training ought to bring my concerns and confidence full circle.

jones creek kid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    El Campo
    wow

welcome back shorts (i am assuming this is the shorts of japan way) what happened?? is the loss permenant?

Good luck with the class it took around 150 days to get mine in and it came in on the eve of the Election(ironic i would say) hopefully we will all be able to keep them!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    welcome back shorts (i am assuming this is the shorts of japan way) what happened?? is the loss permenant?

Good luck with the class it took around 150 days to get mine in and it came in on the eve of the Election(ironic i would say) hopefully we will all be able to keep them!

Thanks kid :) Yeah, unfortunately the loss is permanent. But, I figure things out somehow. I've got a lot of livin' to do and it won't get done if I stop!

Doing a little research I've found that my WA permit is recognized in TX. I'm going to use it to carry during the time between my TX CHL class and actually getting it in hand. Oddly enough, my WA permit expires later this year but a TX CHL offers much better reciprocity.

jones creek kid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    El Campo
    ok i missed the 10 years some how...

listen up guys this person does amazing work with leather holsters. if you are in the market she is the one to make it

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Wow, that's a very fast turn around time.

DocRod, at the moment we are stationed in Japan. I'll be back in Tx (in Corpus or Austin depending on the weekend) in early February. I've looked at the Sharp Shooter in Corpus and their next open class is Feb 14th. They're booked solid between now and then. My Dad has been wanting to get his CHL as well so I asked him if he'd like to take the class that we'd get in on the same one.

Thanks for letting me know about this group.

I'm interested in taking a more specific self defense pistol course after getting the CHL. I'm actually hoping to find an instructor that would be interested in working with me specifically. I'm actually one of those 'special needs' people in that I lost the use of my left arm about 10yrs ago in an auto accident. I have taken a previous ccw class when stationed up in WA and the instructors were pretty helpful. After completeing the class I wasn't a "SD handgun pro" by any stretch but it gave me an initial idea of the types of situations, techniques and drills I can apply. Some specific self defense training ought to bring my concerns and confidence full circle.

Shorts,
    Its great that you havent let your arm slow you down. I am about 80 minutes north of Corpus off I-37. My wife is taking a class on Sunday from an instructor who is a fellow police officer. He only charges $100 and does the whole class, including fingerprints, class, and range time in less than a full day in most cases. He will do the class as long as he has 2 students and is a great instructor. Let me know when you get stateside if you are interested....

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Shorts,
    Its great that you havent let your arm slow you down. I am about 80 minutes north of Corpus off I-37. My wife is taking a class on Sunday from an instructor who is a fellow police officer. He only charges $100 and does the whole class, including fingerprints, class, and range time in less than a full day in most cases. He will do the class as long as he has 2 students and is a great instructor. Let me know when you get stateside if you are interested....

Thank you very much texascop2. We'll let you know once we get ourselves sorted

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Houston, TX
    hahaha :)
    Well it sucks... I just called DPS about a small issue that came up. And during the conversation she told me that the process for CHL application is been switched to a Automated process. I am not sure how true is this but it will be awesome if it does happen. Also she told me that they are now down to 3 weeks back log and they are for sure catching up.... Now the bad news is that my application is still sitting there :(

perchjerk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    i took my class on saturday july 12th and sent in my forms that monday, the 14th. it took about 4.5-5 months for my staus to change from "processing application" to "application finished..license issued or cirtificate active." after the status change i had my plastic in a week! (day before thanksgiving)! and i can only assume as more time goes by the more they will get caught up so my 5 months could be 3-4 months for you! the wait sucks horribly but its all worth it in the end! hang tight. it'll get here before u know it!

-perch

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    Over on texaschlforum.com there have been a number of folks from around the state (all far from Harris county) who've been getting their permits RECENTLY in the 50 day range from receipt of paperwork. Many many that took took no more than 6 weeks from the time they went from "processing" to "complete."

There still seems to be a terrible back log with Harris county residents, but it's not at the DPS end...they're simply not getting background checks back from Harris county in any kind of timely manner.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Only waiting 44 days; got three letters in a week to let me know what my PIN # was plus one e-mail. Hoping that the TexasCHL guys are right in that <60 is becoming realistic. That will mean holster shopping for Christmas.

Top Bottom