• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Terryr21

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2017
    Irving/Carrollton
    There are several self defense insurance companies around (USCCA, Second Call Defense, CCW Safe, etc.), and I just read the NRA recently came out with their own. Also in other news the NRA booted out USCCA from this year's NRA convention, I wonder why :p .

I'm thinking about picking up self defense insurance and I was curious what folks on here have.

Here's the link to NRA Carry Guard for those inquiring minds.
    https://www.nracarryguard.com/

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    well if you join NRA for anything be prepared with a fake email fake home address and fake phone number or you will get 10 billion contacts begging for more money.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    From another forum:

First, it looks VERY much like USCCA's website down to using metal types for levels of insurance. Also, it has more of the same marketing BS language and VERY little factual information about the actual product. Some digging in the FAQ section reveals that it only reimburses you after you win or the charges are dropped. So, NRA takes no risk and does not put money (other than a low percentage to help with a retainer for the attorney of your choice) up unless its a sure thing.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    I went with USCCA a year ago. I figured that I have been very lucky with not having any legal issues since I've been carrying since 1973. Also I'm not so young anymore and look more like prey now. The odds are starting to stack against me for a shooting. It's just plain foolish for me NOT to have insurance.

USCCA literally sends daily emails, but sometimes they have good videos or stories, so I have not asked to be pulled off of their list yet.

Shame on the NRA for pulling a chicken shit move kicking out the competition. Looks like they have no confidence in their own product and are afraid of the competition.

Last edited:

Terryr21

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2017
    Irving/Carrollton
    The fact that the NRA only paid out after all was said and done (and found innocent) was what drove me to USCCA. Apparently USCCA used to also not pay out until the end, and has since changed tha policy to immediate funding.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    anyone use Texas Shield?

Yup. Had 'em several years now. Between traveling more, and having the gun store partnership, I figured it was worth having.

For the record, it's "Texas Law Shield". They host local meetings routinely you can attend for updates on carry laws, etc. Pretty decent, IMO.

And just FYI - if you call the NRA"s membership department and request the marketing emails/mail to cease, they DO honor it.

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    anyone use Texas Shield?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Yes, I recently changed from USCCA to Texas Law Shield. I, too, am getting to the age where I'm more likely to be a target and, though I have been carrying ever since Texas first issued concealed carry licenses, and have never had to draw my weapon (yet), I figure that as the likelyhood increases, it's only common sense to have whatever protection I can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    I use Texas Law Shield; the coverage terms seemed more...logical...than USCCA so I switched years ago.

The new NRA Carry Guard...but...but...the training was developed by...SEAL...and Greenie Beanies...and...and...yeah, I would rather it were developed by Mas Ayoob or anyone who isn't used to having the full weight of the USG protecting them no matter who they shoot and where. Or by the shooters who train the SPECOPS types. But that is just me.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    After being reminded of not doing my research on this subject, thank you Terry, and doing just a bit more digging and learning, I've decided to go with Armed Citizen Legal Defense Network. After doing the pros and cons, reading and seeing reviews and hearing the sales pitches for them, these folks just seemed to have a better understanding of what's needed. Just my ignorant opinion. But, if Mr. Massad Ayoob will endorse it, with the experience and credentials he touts, that is pretty much enough for me. He is also mentioned in the intro video.

https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

endorsement -

ACLDN intro -

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I've hear the self defense fund is better than most, being that they will defend you, even if you didn't end up shooting someone (like overzealous officer arresting over some type of perceived illegal open carry or similar).

Terryr21

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2017
    Irving/Carrollton
    After being reminded of not doing my research on this subject, thank you Terry, and doing just a bit more digging and learning, I've decided to go with Armed Citizen Legal Defense Network. After doing the pros and cons, reading and seeing reviews and hearing the sales pitches for them, these folks just seemed to have a better understanding of what's needed. Just my ignorant opinion. But, if Mr. Massad Ayoob will endorse it, with the experience and credentials he touts, that is pretty much enough for me. He is also mentioned in the intro video.

endorsement -

ACLDN intro -

Glad I could do my part.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth

endorsement -

ACLDN intro -

After watching all of the videos that they sent, I am impressed that they have done their homework and with coverage in every state, it was my choice also. The idea of attempting to train you enough so that you never need their assistance is certainly a real good idea that the NRA seems to have also.

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    From another forum:

First, it looks VERY much like USCCA's website down to using metal types for levels of insurance. Also, it has more of the same marketing BS language and VERY little factual information about the actual product. Some digging in the FAQ section reveals that it only reimburses you after you win or the charges are dropped. So, NRA takes no risk and does not put money (other than a low percentage to help with a retainer for the attorney of your choice) up unless its a sure thing.

That's absolutely bonkers.

Thanks a lot for pointing that out.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom