NRA Criticizes Open Carry Advocates

Discussion in 'Activism' started by majormadmax, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Brian Boru

Brian Boru Active Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Texas
    I didn't see any threatening on the OCT guys part either.

2. Enochwel

Enochwel Member

Mar 15, 2015
    I don't know... With all the efforts to take away our gun rights and the very serious restrictive bills being presented to congress before this guy ever showed up ar15 in Atlanta, maybe keeping the guns hidden is necessary to form the opinion that gun people are crazy. It's bound to cause reflection when you see your beloved music teacher, co-worker, best friends mom, family doctor at the store with their side arm and acting all normal shopping like everyone else...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. kyletxria1911a1

kyletxria1911a1 TGT Addict

May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    you sir i like

4. TexasCarryAssociation

TexasCarryAssociation New Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Houston Texas
    It's something of a two-headed dragon: the NRA's Legislative Division ( activist commandos all ) do great work at the concrete, federal level, but have, over time, become wedded to members annual payments while receiving the warm fuzzy from inside the beltway. When Open Carry legislation broke out in many states in the Midwest and South like a free electron the NRA took stock from purely an economic standpoint and realized ( incorrectly ) that it would lose inkind fees for classes, necessary for CHL. Constitutional Carry eliminates the middle man ( CHL Instructors, state licensing boards, NRA classes ) and returns the right-of-carry back to the citizen. I've spoken with many NRA legal types and the opinions seem to range from an instructors wariness, readily understood, to an acidic "absolutely not" as it upsets the continuum. Like many, I dropped my NRA membership two decades ago in favor of the more dedicated, bill-specific Texas-based 2A organizations who do great work lobbying legislators face to face, by phone, email or letter. The NRA has a dedicated federal function, but it's negative impact on Open Carry negates its usefulness at the state level.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  5. NeckBeard

NeckBeard Active Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Wayne's been hustling me to renew my membership.

6. TX69

TX69 TGT Addict

Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I concur. As for the NRA comments --- Meh, shrug it off.

7. roadrunner

roadrunner New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Kaufman, TX

Every time that I get a letter or a phone call from the NRA I send a check to the Gun Owners of America.

Guess which national gun organization has either helped to write and/or helped to pass every major federal gun law.

Brian Boru likes this.
  8. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I like the way you use the search function. Welcome to TGT.

9. candcallen

candcallen Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    A, possibly, relevant anecdote.

I'm an AZ native. We didn't get ccw till about 92 or 94 and we have always had open carry. Everyone open carried all the time and no one pissed themselves.

After most started cc it only took 7 or 8 years till the BS MWAG calls started. People who open carried for decades started having cops all over stopping them. You have law abiding people who have carried decades openly getting messed with by libtards hand wringers and cops, on their own initiative or responding to a call, and that sheit can get out of control fast. It has done so with people getting killed in other places. Costco and LV come to mind.

Use your right or don't be shocked when you can't. That said you should pick your battles and your hill to die on. I would never tell someone they shouldn't open carry but I will call a piece of Obama when I see them.

10. avvidclif

avvidclif Active Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    To me open carry in a metromess is an "In your Face" statement that helps nothing. Besides the fact it's like painting a bullseye on yourself. If a guy is going to jump bad your first, before you even realize it. The flip side is when you get out of the metromess (looneyville) it makes more sense to have the law in place for the hunters/country folk who don't want to unarm just to go into town for a steak.