• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    I wasn't aware of the TSRA, but upon checking it out - looks like something I could be interested in.

The NRA is worthless, about the only thing they do is protect wealthy people's right to hunt pheasants with $20,000 shotguns. I forget which guy, but one of the head NRA idiots actually went on camera denouncing hi-cap mags and "assault rifles". So they basically told me that they want to get rid of the guns that I am most interested in......they are ANTI-GUN towards people like me.

They also support the NFA and BATFE, how ANY rational person can support the BATFE is beyond me. They have been caught time and time again manufacturing evidence, perjuring themselves, killing people, killing people's pets, they were proven to have no documented method of determining the legal status of a firearm......the list just goes on. NRA (no rifle association) not only does not call for them to be defunded and dissolved - but ACTUALLY SUPPORTS them and the unconstitutional laws they enforce!

Sorry, the NRA is a threat to liberty and they will never get a cent from me. I joined the JPFO based on them actually being a RKBA association. They do not have the budget that NRA has, but even so - have done alot of good work for us "scary black rifle" owners. www.jpfo.org

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Here is the link of that NRA guy I was talking about, the traitor's name is Joaquin Jackson and am sad to say that I think he is from TX.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    I joined the NRA back in 1974 when I started competing in pistol and rifle matches, primarily because the NRA is the organization that compiles scores, runs the National Matches (along with the CMP) and keeps track of shooter's classifications.

They may have some bad eggs (like Joaquin Jackson, who is up for re-election shortly, so we won't have to worry about him) but all in all, they have done a pretty good job of defending our right to own firearms. They have filed countless lawsuits on behalf of citizens out there and have been pretty successful on that front. The only time they irritated me, was when they gave money through their PVF to Max Baucus in Montana. We lived up there then and Max was running for re-election as a Senator in Congress. He is a Dem and pretty much anti-gun, even though he said he would not vote for any anti-gun legislation. He did vote for the Brady bill and the first AWB, so the NRA screwed up when they gave him money. Luckily, it wasn't much, but he did get re-elected.

They also supported our local sheriff up there, Jay Printz, when he sued the feds over the Brady Bill and won. Jay is on the Board of Directors now. That, in itself. makes me glad to support the NRA, along with their brief in support of the 2nd Amendment to SCOTUS re: Heller vs. DC.

And I can't answer your question as to why them over the TSRA, because I belong to it also, but only because I like to shoot the State Outdoor Pistol match every year and you have to be a TSRA member to compete. They do seem to have a pretty effective lobby in Austin.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I got into the NRA when I was just a kid living outside Shitcago. Bought a life membership once I could afford it. Joined TSRA let it lapse re-joined now that I've got a small inheritence coming I'm thinking Life TSRA membership is not far off. Sent TSRA an e-mail about it the other day. If they cannot answer it in a timely basis I look @ Gun Owners of America.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm a member of both. The NRA, like any organization, has had it's fair share of bad apples that have some viewpoints that just don't belong in such an organization. However, as a whole the NRA has done more for gun owner's rights than any other organization. They aren't perfect but, I stand behind them because they represent our best chance at preserving our rights. Now, if several bad apples in the NRA sort of banded together to change some of the NRA's policies, and if it resulted in the NRA supporting ridiculous restrictions like 5 or 10rd mag restrictions, "assault weapon" restrictions, etc etc....if something like that were to happen then I would have to pull my support from them. As it is right now, there are maybe just a very few in the NRA that support some of those ridiculous laws/restrictions. The NRA as a whole does not and has not endorsed such restrictions, so as of right now that is simply a select few individual's opinions. Honestly I'm not that worried about a few bad apples. If such individuals cause more problems in the future, there are several million NRA members we could always ask to sign a petition to kick said individuals out of the organization.

The TSRA has also been pretty successful in Texas as well.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    The NRA does however as a whole actively support the BATFE. That is morally reprehensible and makes them part of the problem rather than the solution.

The only RKBA organization that I have contributed money to is the JPFO, they actively work for the de-funding and dissolving of that rogue agency. As long as the BATFE exists, our lives and liberties WILL NOT be safe, therefore the NRA who SUPPORTS the BATFE will not only NOT get any of my money - I will continually steer people away from them and towards REAL RKBA organizations.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    I belong to both and I dont always agree with everthing the NRA
    says or does and I write and let them know how feel about whatever
    it is that I dont like.
    The one reason I stay is they are the biggest and best funded
    voice out there.
    I dont see any of the other outfits doing much except try to steal away
    NRA members by constantly knocking the NRA.
    I'll stay with the big dogs and with enough members writing them
    they can be trained.
    I always send my complaints in there envelopes when they are asking for money.
    I'am not sending anything at this time because_______________

DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    I belong to both and I dont always agree with everthing the NRA
    says or does and I write and let them know how feel about whatever
    it is that I dont like.
    The one reason I stay is they are the biggest and best funded
    voice out there.
    I dont see any of the other outfits doing much except try to steal away
    NRA members by constantly knocking the NRA.
    I'll stay with the big dogs and with enough members writing them
    they can be trained.
    I always send my complaints in there envelopes when they are asking for money.
    I'am not sending anything at this time because_______________

I agree. I am an life member of the NRA and an annual member of TSRA. As with any large organization, the members have to make sure the organization stays on track by carefully voting for its officers. :)

To answer the original question, at one time I was only a member of the NRA. It was a financial thing. I chose the NRA because, at the time, I believed that my gun "rights" were more threatened at the national level rather than the state level.

Top Bottom