• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DwnRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    So you think I should just bend over and take it, and give them money. I don't agree how things are run and decided I will not support that. They are the ones being dangerous in my opinion.

Ya don't have to love 'em, here....... hell I'm a Life, Benefactor Member, an NRA Instructor, RSO and have worked conventions for them ever time they have been in Houston. I did pellet range work for Rosemary and her yahoos working every day, all day long and gave more of my time than any volunteer in every convention I attended - ya wanna know what the reward was, (which I did not seek - as I had mine as you'll see) was from the director of the convention.......
    A bag of Pop-Secret pop-corn :boom: (hell I don't even eat pop-corn)

I been on TV with 'em back in '02 and handled kids mostly, (little ones mind ya) that came with their moms and dads (put $40 in the till ever morning just to cover the extra rounds they might fire) and watched with joy and pleasure as 5-8 year olds out shot their dad and got little nothing ribbons (all the while "with the permission" of their moms) being allow to stand behind them, hold the pistol for them and let them pull the trigger - some of 'em so small they had to set on my lap to see over the table.

Ya just cannot buy the fun and pleasure I had inside - as a dad comes off the firing line, all proud and puffed up showing his honey how he hit the target 4 outta 5 times and even got close to the 10 ring "once" only to find that his 5 year daughter or 4 year old son, has shot her or his "5 rnds" in the bullseye when mom has had them holding theirs back....... the looks on their faces was priceless and the thanks and rewards from the "not-telling-on-me" moms was worth every penny and every minute I spent there......... I left every 12 hour day with a feeling that was just priceless to ME.

......and NOW - the last convention I worked for Rosemary at the GHB - as she knew me - I was head instructor the first day open and directed those wanting to spend a buck at the firing range to spaces on the line - a young 5 or 6 year old walks up early right off the bat - I bend down to speak with him on his level, eye to eye, smiling at mom and dad behind him, place my hand on his shoulder and ask him what he would like to try out firearm wise............., send him on his way to shoot and find myself berated by one of Rosemary's lackys (not even an Instructor) because "I touched him" :banghead:

The first hour of the first day......... they dashed all my hopes for another enjoyable satisfying convention - filled with good nature'd fun for youngsters and dad's looking at their child as some sort of phenom.... (after having spent 2 whole days doing Firearms Inspection - making sure there were NO FIRING PINS in any of the GHB weapons).

How am I supposed to help folks with their technique, when I'm allowed no physical contact even "with permission" from or by adults?????

The PC crap was too much for me - they destroyed my joy and I have never volunteered or spent another day at an NRA Convention, I don't send them money, don't agree to help at their events and do my Instruction in private with a signed form that allows me to actually help folks that really want to learn to shoot better.

Be mad, be angry for the asinine way they do things and "especially" the d!k-heads at the top - but don't refuse to stand up with them - and for the GOOD they have done in keeping our country on the right path.
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I'm not saying I will never go back to the NRA, who knows, I'm just not happy with the two people at the top of the NRA.

As far as the 2nd Amendment Foundation, sure they aren't as big and don't make as much noise. What they do is defend the 2nd Amendment in court, and they don't stray from the 2nd Amendment. NRA at many times throughout history likes to give the real estate away in hopes that will appease, and IMO they should never give an inch.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    What hurts the defense efforts by 2nd amendment organizations is when the "splinter groups" with fractions of the membership numbers the NRA has think they are going to just hop out there and out do the big dog...
    Remind me again about how the NRA initiated the Heller case.

Oh, wait...

They didn't. The NRA actively tried to screw over Heller. They only jumped in near the end and tried to claim credit.

From here:
    The case still faced other hurdles. Early on, lawyers for the NRA...tried to talk Levy out of pursuing the case. They then attempted to dissuade him from using as his lead lawyer an untested sole practitioner, Alan Gura. Doubting Heller’s prospects, the NRA filed a competing suit, Seegars v. Ashcroft, helmed by a leading Second Amendment advocate, Stephen Halbrook.

The NRA’s concerns were strategic, but Levy says now that something else was going on. “I think the real concern was that three lawyers from outside the NRA started stepping on some toes, and the NRA wasn’t appreciative,” he says.
    The NRA has a bad case of "not invented here" syndrome and if losing members causes them to get over themselves and get back to sticking up for the 2nd Amendment, I see nothing but good coming from that.

The Heller case is a prime example of the way a "splinter group" can "hop out there" and "outdo the big dog". The NRA should have been leading that charge but they weren't.

Now the NRA has a fully-on-the-inside spokeswoman issuing a statement that bump stocks convert semi-automatic rifles into fully automatic rifles. The national office hasn't repudiated the Marion Hammer statement; they agree with it.

They are more interested in politics than principle. In practical terms, that's often a virtue...but not always.

Every generation needs to be reminded of that. While the NRA has a valid purpose as the "big stick" of the gun rights movement, it needs "splinter groups" to keep a fire lit under their collective butt.

I'm a Golden Eagle. I won't abandon the NRA. But I'm also a lifer with the SAF and if I throw extra money at any organization, it goes to the SAF.

My advice to people is join the NRA for the least amount of money you can because big numbers in the big organization count for something. After that, though, do your real giving to the SAF. (Others may prefer the GOA.)

But that's just me.

If other people choose to abandon the NRA altogether, I can't say they've made the wrong decision.

Last edited:

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    The strength of the NRA is what drew me to them, but I get tired of the politics they want to play. They should stick to the 2nd amendment and not play give and take.
    Their stalwart support of the second amendment lead the NRA to support Dirty Harry Reid to the point of losing members. If you don't remember him he was the senator that sold Nevada to the Chinese, and built ranges with tax dollars to get NRA support. The Bundy ranch debacle was his doing.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom