Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yeah I’m curious to what Ben has to deal with today. That 4 hour beat down I did last year was unreal.
    OK.

My appointment was for 8:15AM at the Spring Mega Center. I got in line outside at ~7:45AM. Everybody got a Covid screening while standing outside. Nobody was allowed to get in line unless you could show proof of an appointment or a receipt showing you were returning from a previous visit. People without appointments were put in a different area and told that their chances of getting an appointment today were virtually non-existent; most chose to leave.

They let us in the door just before 8. There was a pre-check-in station where they confirmed that you had your application and proof of citizenship, either a birth certificate or passport; I had both. At that station, they checked vision by having people read an eye chart on the wall. This was nothing like my past experiences where I had to look into a machine. At least it was fast.

From there, I was directed to a check-in kiosk. There were five (iirc) of them and two were broken. I scanned the bar code on my appointment confirmation and the system didn't find my appointment. I typed in the confirmation number and it was found. A ticket printed out and I was directed to the waiting area. Before I could sit down, a woman asked me "What are you here for?" I told her "Renewal" and she said "Come on over to #19".

She went over the application and my birth certificate. Then she had me sign the application and took it back from me. As she was typing in data, she was engaged in some small talk with the worker next to her. Apparently, they'd had some trouble with printing their morning paperwork because the list of appointments for the day was 250 pages long and the network printers were tied up. After the typing was done, she scanned in my application and birth certificate then had me stand for my photo which took three tries. She charged my credit card $33 and handed me back my birth certificate. A few moments later she handed me my temporary license which she required me to sign in her presence.

"We're all done."

I was cranking my truck to leave at 8:11AM

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    What does a covid screening consist of?
    I'm guessing they used the old school eye charts to keep people from putting their faces on a machine.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    OK.

My appointment was for 8:15AM at the Spring Mega Center.

I was cranking my truck to leave at 8:11AM

Pretty much mirrored my two experiences at a TDL mega center in Houston, two years in a row.
    The first, after cataract surgery, to remove the restriction for lenses.
    The second, one year later, for renewal.

Was impressed with a government agency successfully using the necessary various forms of technology to good effect ... even moreso during the pandemic madness.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I couldn't confirm it on the DMV site but KLTV just reported Saturday appointments will stop after 12/19 and 11/28 is a no go.
    I double checked on available appointments at my local (Spring) Mega Center. They have available appointments pretty much every day, all day. I could make an appointment right now for Monday if I wanted; i.e. there's no backlog. Yes, they're incredibly busy but they've got their procedures down and they're pushing folks through at a lightning pace.

Perhaps the limited services during the official wu flu panic have allowed them to streamline procedures. For whatever reason, it looks to me like getting a driver's license renewed is substantially easier/faster/smoother today compared to every other time in my life when I've had to do anything in person at a TDL office.

Knowing what I now know, I'd go renew my license even if it weren't expired just to get the RealID cert that makes a TDL useful for getting on a plane.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Morning Y'all....well sort of!

Got my first pot of coffee going. Misting and dreary outside today. Sitting at about 51 degrees with no wind right now. Turned on my heater for the first time this morning to run the chill out of the room!

Seems like a good day to drink coffee and either read a good book, or find something on NetFlix to binge watch.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    1603562910843.png

Anyone know where a Henry .410 can be purchased? I've got a friend looking for one and not having any luck.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yep, it works. Did my DL and LTC renewals online last time.
    As I understand it, after some time last year everyone has to go into the office for their next DL renewal. The RealID act, even though it got delayed for nearly two decades, has come home to roost. Thus, if you want to use a DL to get on a plane, it must be compliant. That means the issuing state must confirm your citizenship in person. Most commonly, that's done by inspecting and scanning your birth certificate or scanning the chip in your passport.

Top Bottom