• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I know it's OK to check in one gun on a plane but is it legal to check in 2 or more either in the same case or separate cases in your check on bag. I'm flying to Colorado this Friday and would like to take 2 or more guns with me to go shooting with my family in colorado. Just not sure on the rule and tsa Web page isn't clear one way or another. I'm leaning towards yes because tsa say that "guns" must be empty.......... not gun. Anyone know for sure

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Guns International

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’ve put an M4, M9, bayonet, optic, and all the mags to support it in one pelican case before.

Check your airline policy for checking firearms, follow the process and it’s easy peasy, trigger squeezy.

Do NOT take a loaded firearm to check.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I’ve put an M4, M9, bayonet, optic, and all the mags to support it in one pelican case before.

Check your airline policy for checking firearms, follow the process and it’s easy peasy, trigger squeezy.

Do NOT take a loaded firearm to check.
    Thanks. And the loaded firearm was definitely a no brainer. Makes me curious though. Did you do that before?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Thanks. And the loaded firearm was definitely a no brainer. Makes me curious though. Did you do that before?

Nope. Every unit I was a part of had a process to ensure that would not occur. Generally include two-person inspection of all items a time or two.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Nope. Every unit I was a part of had a process to ensure that would not occur. Generally include two-person inspection of all items a time or two.
    Smart. When I recently went to Mexico, I triple checked bags. I was worried about having some random brass in a bag. You know, that stuff will kill children.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Had a pilot friend whose wife got stopped because he had accidentally gotten a trace amount of reloading powder (from his shoes) one one of her bags. Nothing more than some extensive searching. I mention that he was a pilot only because he was very aware of the rules (he was permitted to carry when he flew) and he was shocked that something tripped them up.

Different airlines do things differently - despite the rules being pretty concrete. I made the mistake of flying Spirit from Vegas and had to check a pistol. (Spirit will probably soon be charging you extra for air.) When I told the girl at the counter that I was checking a pistol, she got all frustrated. "I don't know why you didn't just stick it in your suitcase! Now we have to fill out forms and stuff." Obviously, I didn't do that because I was trying to follow the law, I pointed out. "Lots of people just stick them in their suitcase. It's no big deal." I dunno - going to prison is a very big deal to me.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Perhaps, she needs a refresher course in 'not' giving out seriously bad advice regarding firearms.

Her boss needs to know about it.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Well somebody getting arrested rather than creating all the extra work of checking in the firearm properly creates less paperwork for the counter girl.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Perhaps she should apply for a coffee counter job, oops I mean ahem, 'barista', yeah that's it...

Barista advice shouldn't cause anyone to go to prison.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    My thought was that maybe because it's Vegas, there might be some members of a certain private Italian club (ahem) that travel through there and skirt the law.

It was a midnight flight, so everything about it was weird. And, yes, because it was Spirit, I had to pay extra for the gun case.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My thought was that maybe because it's Vegas, there might be some members of a certain private Italian club (ahem) that travel through there and skirt the law.

It was a midnight flight, so everything about it was weird. And, yes, because it was Spirit, I had to pay extra for the gun case.

:green:

rem1138

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2018
    Dallas
    I guess this thread is kinda old, but wanted to contribute my experience.

I've flown on American Airlines with 4 checked firearms in the same Pelican case. Everything went smoothly, no problems at all. So I don't think there's an item limit from the TSA regarding firearms in checked luggage. Individual airline policies may vary though.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom