• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’m thinking about adding an O/U for birds...dove primarily. I’ve shot 12ga pumps forever and day now.

My desire is a 20ga field gun that’s not going to break the bank, but will be enjoyable to shoot. Interchangeable chokes is a plus. No other actions is desirable.

What do the scattergun guys say?

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I only have expensive 12G Brownings but I have a friend who has the Yildiz Academy sells. Don't buy one. He had nothing but trouble. Perhaps others can make a recommendation on a quality inexpensive 20G.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Well depends on "break the bank", Mr. Wilson Combat. But for a low end 20 ga. I suggest looking at TriStar, tehy make good guns at a reasonable price. I have one in 12 auto. Works just like a Benelli for way less cost. They are made in Turkey and are basically knockoffs of high end shotguns. Unless you want to impress you dove buds, the get a browning Citori

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Todd, you might also check out the Stoeger Condor O/U shotguns. They are made by E.R. Amartino in Brazil. Imported by Stoeger. I have a 12 ga. that I have had at least 16 or 17 years now. Pretty solid shotgun. For casual shooting, and hunting they are great shotguns for the price. Probably not the best choice if you plan on shooting competitively!

https://www.stoegerindustries.com/condor-field-shotgun

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Todd, you might also check out the Stoeger Condor O/U shotguns. They are made by E.R. Amartino in Brazil. Imported by Stoeger. I have a 12 ga. that I have had at least 16 or 17 years now. Pretty solid shotgun. For casual shooting, and hunting they are great shotguns for the price. Probably not the best choice if you plan on shooting competitively!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

Thanks. I’ve got a Stoeger coach gun from back when we were doing Cowboy Action Shooting, but didn’t make the connection.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....

Good advice is worth repeating.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    This is not a cheap and deep segment. Three budget friendly brands so far, more digging to do.
    No, it's not. Have you checked out the Ruger Red Label models? Not "cheap", but maybe a bit less than some of the high-end brands. I looked on Gunbroker and they were running $1400 - 2000. Not cheap, but not insane...
    I love my Browning B-SS. You might also consider side-by-side? They cost a lot more than I paid for this one YEARS ago. I love it for dove and quail. No barrel selector. Fires improved cylinder then modified, and it works pretty well when you scare quail up.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Mossberg Silver Reserve.
    It's a great "sit and wait" gun.
    Wouldn't be my first pick on a quail hunt though.
    A bit on the heavy side, but that makes it swing so smooth and true.
    Choke tubes included. Extractors instead of ejectors. Makes gathering your emptys easy. Which keeps landowners happy.

My 2 cents.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ..Have you checked out the Ruger Red Label models?
    I have and there’s nothing wrong with them. I’d just like a season behind a O/U to decide if I really want to forego other stuff to get one with all the bells/whistles that take it from field to heirloom, which is kind of where I’m taking my collection at this point since there’s family interest in not just continuing tradition, but appreciating it.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Mossberg Silver Reserve.
    It's a great "sit and wait" gun.
    Wouldn't be my first pick on a quail hunt though.
    A bit on the heavy side, but that makes it swing so smooth and true.
    Choke tubes included. Extractors instead of ejectors. Makes gathering your emptys easy. Which keeps landowners happy.

My 2 cents.

Wow. I never would’ve thought somebody would put ejectors on a break action shotgun. I like the 12/20 combo with extractors, it adds a lot of versatility.

Top Bottom