• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyBoyy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2013
    I love the O/U look but the ones I've found with a nice wood stock all cost more then my truck.

Any recommendations for <$1k???
    ARJ Defense ad

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    Look for the older Charles Daly's from the early 70's, sort of the hidden jems of the O/U world in my opinion. They are made by Mirkou in Japan, the company that took the same gun for all practical purposes and slapped the Browning name on when they moved production from Belgium. I just picked up a LNIB, Superior Trap for under $900, gun was made in '76 and is a better gun IMO than anything I could buy new today at twice the price. Anyway excellent quality, I've owned several and still do. There are several on gun broker right now, take a look..

JohnnyBoyy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2013
    Look for the older Charles Daly's from the early 70's, sort of the hidden jems of the O/U world in my opinion. They are made by Mirkou in Japan, the company that took the same gun for all practical purposes and slapped the Browning name on when they moved production from Belgium. I just picked up a LNIB, Superior Trap for under $900, gun was made in '76 and is a better gun IMO than anything I could buy new today at twice the price. Anyway excellent quality, I've owned several and still do. There are several on gun broker right now, take a look..

Damnit, this advice is definitely going to cost me some money. Some of those guns are beautiful and right in my range.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I have a 26" Charles Daly Venture (which is their Field grade) by Miroku - it's a shooter.

I had the comb bent away 1/4" to suit me better - and had the muzzles threaded by Briley for screw-in chokes (as they came with fixed Imp Cyl and Mod chokes and I needed more flexibility).

andyskeet.jpg

Last edited:

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    You can find used, in great shape, Ruger Red Labels in that price range. Good solid O/U.

Sz20DF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    Houston
    I believe the new Red Label is out or do out shortly. Hoping to find one for less than or around a $1000.....

JohnnyBoyy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2013
    I found a few red labels for sale...they look to be a hair over $1k.

Are there any with wood stocks, I've only found synthetic.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    People either love or hate the Ruger RL, mainly due to its balance. I bought mine used from a guy who hated it. Turns out I hated it to. Moral: try before you buy. I hope Ruger has made some changes with the new RL.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Check into the CZ Woodcocks. They are not made anymore, but plenty still on the dealer shelves. Gunbroker usually has a few offered from a guy in Victoria. Good wood, case hardened receivers, pretty guns.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've always wanted a Beretta Silver Snipe but never found the right deal. Now, they are history. Of currently available O/U shotguns, the Browning Citori suits me just fine. Since I've retired, chances of my snagging one are nil. It is on my "bucket list" but I may kick the bucket before I ever get one.

Flash

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    Flash, Look for one of the early Charles Dalys and you'll be able to have your Citori, it just won't say so. Compare prices on early Citoris and the Miroku Dalys, same gun different name and usually $1K difference or more in the price.

Citori, Cynergy, BLR Lightweight, BLR Lightweight, A-Bolt II, X-Bolt, BT-99, BL-22 Rifle, Auto-22 Rifle, T-Bolt, BPS (all), and Gold 10 ga. (production for these firearms have been at the Miroku factory in Japan starting with the BT-99 in the late 1960s. In 1970 the over and under Citori (made by Miroku) would gradually replace John M. Brownings Superposed model as the the key product in the Browning line. In about 1973 the Browning Pump Shotgun (BPS) began production at the Miroku factory, and in 1976 production of the legendary Auto-5 shotgun made the move from Belgium factories to Miroku, in Japan. The others followed as they were introduced.

JohnnyBoyy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2013
    I just tried to grab a Miroku Charles Daly but was consistently outbid by the same guy!! Oh well, time to keep looking...it was such a nice looking gun too.

SOliver

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    Spring
    Not under $1,000 but I love my Citori Brownings. Take them hunting every year. I've got a Red Label too but I doubt I'll ever take it out over a Browning. Also have my Benelli M2 and Browning A5 just in case I need a few more shells.

JohnnyBoyy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2013
    Flash, Look for one of the early Charles Dalys and you'll be able to have your Citori, it just won't say so. Compare prices on early Citoris and the Miroku Dalys, same gun different name and usually $1K difference or more in the price.

Citori, Cynergy, BLR Lightweight, BLR Lightweight, A-Bolt II, X-Bolt, BT-99, BL-22 Rifle, Auto-22 Rifle, T-Bolt, BPS (all), and Gold 10 ga. (production for these firearms have been at the Miroku factory in Japan starting with the BT-99 in the late 1960s. In 1970 the over and under Citori (made by Miroku) would gradually replace John M. Brownings Superposed model as the the key product in the Browning line. In about 1973 the Browning Pump Shotgun (BPS) began production at the Miroku factory, and in 1976 production of the legendary Auto-5 shotgun made the move from Belgium factories to Miroku, in Japan. The others followed as they were introduced.

I've been doing a bit more reading on these Charles Dalys and that is the impression I'm getting. It seems to be a solid gun for the price and may be the direction I end up deciding.

I like the new red labels, but they are a bit more expensive and even though I love Rugers, i don't think I want to be a guinea pig for this most recent round of Red Labels.

Top Bottom