• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Obama administration proposes new executive actions on gun background checks

Published January 03, 2014 FoxNews.com

The Obama administration on Friday proposed two new executive actions to make it easier for states to provide mental health information to the national background check system, wading back into the gun control debate after a months-long hiatus.

Vice President Biden's office announced the proposals Friday afternoon. Both pertain to the ability of states to provide information about the mentally ill and those seeking mental health treatment to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.

One proposal would formally give permission to states to submit "the limited information necessary to help keep guns out of potentially dangerous hands," without having to worry about the privacy provisions in a law known as HIPAA.

"The proposed rule will not change the fact that seeking help for mental health problems or getting treatment does not make someone legally prohibited from having a firearm," the statement said. "Furthermore, nothing in the proposed rule would require reporting on general mental health visits or other routine mental health care, or would exempt providers solely performing these treatment services from existing privacy rules."

The other proposal would clarify that those who are involuntarily committed to a mental institution -- both inpatient and outpatient -- count under the law as "committed to a mental institution." According to the administration, this change will help clarify for states what information to provide to the background check system.

In the statement, President Obama and Biden also renewed their call for Congress to pass "common-sense gun safety legislation" -- including by expanding the background check system and making gun trafficking a federal crime.

The administration made a robust effort to pass gun control legislation after the 2012 mass shooting in Newtown, Conn., but the bills, which included new bans on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, failed to gain enough support in Congress.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...ground-checks/

Gun Zone Deals

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Everything they are doing now is administrative. We know their ultimate goals. Along with Obamacare and NSA, they want to know everything about each individual. Then, when they have all their systems and police state in place, they will pull the plug. Just that simple.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    You know how well Clinton and AWB worked out for the Dems. They lost the Senate.
    I am hoping for a repeat performance. I don't see much gun legislation coming in an election year....

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    HIPPA

What's that?

Haha, got that right, since it's actually spelled HIPAA. Lol, as a healthcare attorney I couldn't resist nor deny the irony of your statement.

You are 100% right and I have been screaming this all day long. I sincerely worry what kind of affect this is going to have on: a) confidentiality of patient records; b) the doctor-patient relationship; c) people's willingness to be treated for mental health issues; d) most of all veterans who seek treatment (which they absolutely deserve) for PTSD; e) the legal liability for a hospital/doctor who fails to report mental health treatment for someone who later goes and kills someone with a firearm.

Think about it... In 2012 there were just over 11k homicides committed with guns. I've read statistics that state almost 1 in 3 adults have received treatment, of some kind, for mental health (be it anxiety to full blown multiple personality disorder, etc.) If 1 in 3 of those families, whose loved ones died, gained the ability to file law suits based off a doctor/hospital's failure to disclose mental health treatment, it would wreck our healthcare system. And that's just homicides. Presumably any crime victim where a gun was used, whether the victim was shot or not, would theoretically have the same legal recourse. It's just stupid. It's the death of medical privacy AND the physician-patient privilege/relationship.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Haha, got that right, since it's actually spelled HIPAA. Lol, as a healthcare attorney I couldn't resist nor deny the irony of your statement.

You are 100% right and I have been screaming this all day long. I sincerely worry what kind of affect this is going to have on: a) confidentiality of patient records; b) the doctor-patient relationship; c) people's willingness to be treated for mental health issues; d) most of all veterans who seek treatment (which they absolutely deserve) for PTSD; e) the legal liability for a hospital/doctor who fails to report mental health treatment for someone who later goes and kills someone with a firearm.

Think about it... In 2012 there were just over 11k homicides committed with guns. I've read statistics that state almost 1 in 3 adults have received treatment, of some kind, for mental health (be it anxiety to full blown multiple personality disorder, etc.) If 1 in 3 of those families, whose loved ones died, gained the ability to file law suits based off a doctor/hospital's failure to disclose mental health treatment, it would wreck our healthcare system. And that's just homicides. Presumably any crime victim where a gun was used, whether the victim was shot or not, would theoretically have the same legal recourse. It's just stupid. It's the death of medical privacy AND the physician-patient privilege/relationship.

That is an excellent point and to IXLR8s point, my fear is not new legislation. Obama has shown that he doesn't give a damn about the legislative process. His admin. will use every tool in their arsenal to illegally or unconstitutionally put a system in place, much like California, where they can connect the dots on people and their medical histories, then roll out the swat teams and take the guns. They can pick us off one by one this way, especially when you add info on drug treatment, or when they threaten to take children away because of one thing or another, etc. We are not dealing with idiots here. Plus, they are building a network of government snitches in the medical community, teachers, neighbors, so we can be ratted on by the people closest to us. Everyone needs to understand who we are dealing with here.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    ^^^^^^^^^Thats why I dont tell neighbors my business. I dont tell friends that I hang out with my business. I have very few people in my life I trust, period. Never been to a damn shrink or taken any kind of anti depressants. Lifes too dang short to be depressed. As far as this administration.......they are losing ground and they know it, they are throwing anything and everything at the damn wall hopin sumthin sticks.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Who cares about your privacy? Remember, safety is more important than liberty. You guys should really stop being so selfish!

:(
    Bingo, "We're doing all this for your safety" when you hear that phrase your about to get the shaft.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I am curious, since there seems to be a vehement opposition to this topic, what suggestion opponents would offer towards repairing the mental health system. When the Adam Lanza's of the world commit mass shootings, I recall the gun supporters, at least a vocal portion, repeating the mantra that it is not the gun, but the mental health system.

We seem to oppose any legislation regarding firearms, at al.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I am curious, since there seems to be a vehement opposition to this topic, what suggestion opponents would offer towards repairing the mental health system. When the Adam Lanza's of the world commit mass shootings, I recall the gun supporters, at least a vocal portion, repeating the mantra that it is not the gun, but the mental health system.

We seem to oppose any legislation regarding firearms, at al.

Family. Real, intact, involved families that dont jack their kids up on drugs, take away the violent video games from people that cant discern fantasy from reality. Dads that dont walk out on their families, mothers who dont let their kids push them around. (saw a woman apologize to her 10 year old son yesterday after he snapped at her for asking a question)

Yes i believe there are people out there with authentic mental issues but most of these losers in question were created.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Family. Real, intact, involved families that dont jack their kids up on drugs, take away the violent video games from people that cant discern fantasy from reality. Dads that dont walk out on their families, mothers who dont let their kids push them around. (saw a woman apologize to her 10 year old son yesterday after he snapped at her for asking a question)

Yes i believe there are people out there with authentic mental issues but most of these losers in question were created.

IOW, we have an adult problem, not a children problem.

Top Bottom