Obama won't seek renewal of a U.S. assault weapons ban

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by dbgun, Apr 16, 2009.

1. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
  2. thehemi

thehemi Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Texas
    He knows reinstating the AWB would be political suicide.
    (Although some may argue he's already doing just that.)

3. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Why bother? There are confirmed reports that he issued an order on inauguration day reclassifying ammo as hazardous materials, thereby opening them to all sorts of searches (delay tactics). Instead of spot checking containers, customs officials are now required to open and inspect every case. An inspection that would have taken a couple of days is now taking months. How does that affect the price and availability of ammo?

In this article, he says he wants to 'ban' the transfer of weapons going across the border. What do you think THAT means? I don't know, but I guarantee it won't be a positive step for the American gun owner.

4. jdh

jdh Active Member

Mar 2, 2008
    You left off part of the subject line. Add ,YET to the end to make it correct.

5. Omar

Omar New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Exactly. He may not enact it now but he will later. When? I don't know.

6. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
  7. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Why can't he vote "present"?

8. texashek

texashek New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    spring TX
    He has bigger fish to fry....once the economy picks up and unemployment drops under 6% this issue will bubble up again I promise....

9. SAND_MAN1

SAND_MAN1 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Problem is on Mexico's end. They have to much corruption with law enforcement/border security officials so they turn a blind eye to stuff coming into their country. I hate how Mexico points to the finger to us, sure the guns are being bought here but if they don't inspect what is coming into their country then the problem is on their end. If the guns were banned here they drug cartels would just smuggle them in from other countries since they have the money to do so.

10. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    And despite Obama's claim that 90% of the guns going to Mexico come from the U.S., we know better:

PolitiFact | Sorting out the truth about guns in Mexico