• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    I need to be able to read and reset codes. I’m thinking about trying the Bluedriver.
    More accurately you need to be able to clear codes, not reset them. That would be bad. I don't expect non-automotive shop people to know all the terms but when a code resets, that means it came back after being cleared. Glad no one said anything about "throwing codes".

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    Unfortunately, I am unable to recommend a low cost scan tool since my needs appear to be quite a bit different than yours. As many others have already said, If you are only needing to check and erase engine codes, pretty much any generic device will work and cost way less than $200.

Don't spend more to get more on a tool unless you are interested in possibly seeing some live data out of the ECM (and understand what the data you are looking at means- no offense intended) or simply want the ability to scan a couple more control units. Spending up to $200 for features or info you can't or don't use gains you nothing except a lighter wallet. From what I recall back in the day, the Launch tools were very reasonably priced for what you get, had fairly consistent updates and worked pretty well although I haven't used a Launch tool in well over 8 years. Be sure to confirm software update costs before purchase if you want to keep software current although you really shouldn't need to update most scan tools in your price range unless they have advanced capabilities.

I own an Autel MS905 but I purchased it because I needed the ability to stream live data. I also need bidirectional capability to activate electronics and circuits, perform some minor coding and most importantly, I need to have access to every control unit in both of my personal vehicles (the wife's Benz has 41 controllers seen by the Autel). It also helps out my friends in a pinch and makes me a few extra bucks on the side since I can do a multi controller deep scan on any vehicle we would ever see in North America. Had I not been a mechanic most of my life, this tool would be ridiculously excessive and overkill in every possible way. However, having been a mechanic my entire adult life (now retired from the biz) and repairing my personal vehicles, I need the capability of such a tool. Will the Autel do everything I need it to do for my vehicles? When it comes to diagnostics, absolutely. But I also paid a stiff price for those additional needs which most people have no use for nor the knowledge to take advantage of.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've really heard good things about the OBDLink MX+. $140. Streams live data. Another forum I'm on raves about them.

Guardian3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2022
    Austin, Texas
    I got an ELM327 OBDII Bluetooth scanner off Amazon for $15. I then downloaded the JScan app for my Jeep and paid a subscription for service ($30, I think). I get good reads on ECM codes and can even modify some vehicle settings with the app.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    I have an elm327 and an autel something something something. They are both under 100 and do what I need. You spend under 100 or over 2k. Everything inbetween is kind of pointless. Unless you need a specific function. ABS, electronic parking break, etc.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    It's the specific manufacturer codes that piss me off. I've got an passenger side airbag light on in my truck. I can know that much with a basic scanner. But there are several sub-systems that could set it and I'm not going to a damn stealership for them to scan it further to tell me more specifically what the problem is.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Here ya go:

1660744596173.png

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I’m not satisfied with free scans at Autozone as they rarely are conclusive.

I’d like to get the best one available under $200 with free updates. Can anybody recommend a good one.

I usually recommend this bluetooth adapter: https://amzn.to/3wdIcHP
    ...and Torque Pro: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en_US&gl=US
    You might also need a set of adapters depending on if you need to access other modules or not: https://amzn.to/3c1qwbi

What's really going to work best depends on the vehicle you're working on. If you go looking for a handheld, make sure it has a built in multiplexer and is bidirectional, and states it supports your vehicle.

There's plenty out there that are under $200 and serviceable. Innova, Foxwell, Autel are some off the top of my head.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I usually recommend this bluetooth adapter: https://amzn.to/3wdIcHP
    ...and Torque Pro: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en_US&gl=US
    You might also need a set of adapters depending on if you need to access other modules or not: https://amzn.to/3c1qwbi

What's really going to work best depends on the vehicle you're working on. If you go looking for a handheld, make sure it has a built in multiplexer and is bidirectional, and states it supports your vehicle.

There's plenty out there that are under $200 and serviceable. Innova, Foxwell, Autel are some off the top of my head.
    Happy with my Foxwell on my 2004 Land Rover Disco.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Happy with my Foxwell on my 2004 Land Rover Disco.
    Yeah, the Foxwell is particularly good on the BMW and Land Rover. I have the previous version of this one: https://amzn.to/3A13Obk

I liked that it came pre-loaded with one manufacturer's support, and you could buy additional software packages to load into it. They occasionally have free updates, too.

Their FCA software package is garbage, tho. For anything FCA related, including Ram and Jeep, get AlfaOBD. Lot of functionality for only $50.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Woot has a couple of scanners, I'm not affiliated with Woot, I've bought stuff from them over the years and check everyday.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I bought a cheap OBDII scanner some time back. I don't really the brand, but I think all the low priced ones perform basically the same.

Now on my pickup I got an Edge CTS3 that lets me monitor many different parameters and also view and then clear any fault codes.
    I got it because it also allows me to manually initiate a regents of the DPF on my diesel pickup.
    edge_double_back1-1-4.png

It is kind of pricey at around $450 but after having it, I am thinking about getting one for my other pickup too

Last edited:

Greenzilla80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2022
    Hutto
    I bought a cheap one off of ebay or amazon for around $20.00. It looks exactly the same as the orange ones they sell at the autoparts store except there is no branding on it. It works to read and clear codes, what I wanted it for.
    Perfect. That combined with Google is perfect for your average car owner.

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    I bought a cheap OBDII scanner some time back. I don't really the brand, but I think all the low priced ones perform basically the same.

Now on my pickup I got an Edge CTS3 that lets me monitor many different parameters and also view and then clear any fault codes.
    I got it because it also allows me to manually initiate a regents of the DPF on my diesel pickup.
    View attachment 339618
    It is kind of pricey at around $450 but after having it, I am thinking about getting one for my other pickup too
    Have the same 1 incredible piece. Was better than having a bunch of ugly ass gauges on the column. Plus the ability to read and clear codes is great. I don’t worry about the regen, my dpf and accessories tragically fell off driving home 1 day so no blue def for me.

rpwilson

Single Action Army Activist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Richmond
    Why not sell the car and buy an older vehicle? Pre 97 will get you OBD, and pre 88 will get you no scan. You wont have electronic issues to fix, since most of the systems on the cars were mechanical! JK

Top Bottom