• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    This thread is for all the music AM/FM won't play anymore or never would play, and that most people either don't know about or forgot about. Those are the only rules.

I'll get this one started with a very unusual but hopefully (for you) enjoyable selection. This is from an Album called The Agoraphobic Cowboy by Rick Moranis. Yes- the same Rick Moranis you are thinking about who played the dad in Honey, I Shrunk the Kids and Lord Helmet in Spaceballs.

In a totally unexpected move, he took a brief moment out of his retirement to release- get this- a COUNTRY album. And yep, it sure sounds like Rick Moranis singing, too. Basically the least country, least cowboy voice in the world. And you know what? It is an AWESOME album! His voice is pretty damn good and fits the music well. The music itself is surprisingly solid and catchy for being done by a bunch of session players.

The best part of all, though, are the lyrics. They are always well done; and Moranis is a true master of the double entendre. He is probably the bet country lyricist I have ever heard. This is Moranis' second album. The first was a weird comedy album called You, Me, the Music, and Me. He also has a recently released third album about his Jewish childhood which I have not yet heard because I'm not Jewish and probably wouldn't understand half of what he's talking about. For this album he actually got a Grammy nomination.

At any rate, I would have loved to post Give Me the News, as that song really shows off his talent for double-meanings, but unfortunately I can not find it online. For now here's Oh So Bucco and Four More Beers, the latter of which sums up the state of this country very well.

Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I could go on and so many genre. I listen to Lucero, Son Volt, and Old Crow Medicine Show on the southern themed side.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Moving along to the Andrews Sisters. This legendary trio began as an (obvious) imitation of the earlier (and equally as good) Boswell Sisters, actually becoming much more popular than their inspirations. You just don't hear people sing like this anymore at all- they were true masters of the melody, often wildly throwing notes around then bringing them back in a manner which is like being on a musical roller-coaster.

Though they are obscure today, they still have a legion of dedicated followers, including Bette Midler and Christina Aguilera (both of whom pail in comparison). It's too bad neither of them actually learned how to sing as well as the Andrews Sisters as well as the Andrews Sisters learned to sing like the Boswell Sisters (say that three times fast).

Up first is a song I have been obsessed with for several months. It is but one of their versions of a forgotten gem called Bei Mir Bist Du Schon. The song was originally Yiddish, translated into English, and covered by probably several dozen entertainers of the time. Interestingly, it was a very popular song in Nazi Germany until its Jewish roots were discovered, after which it was blacklisted. If you don't like this song, you just ain't got no swing!

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    And another Andrews Sisters tune. This is by far their most famous song. Released in 1945, it sold an amazing 7 million copies in a time when selling one million was considered huge! And despite its popularity, it too has fallen victim to time and the fickleness of an ungrateful public which always demands newer, "Better" forms of entertainment (actual quality be damned). Here it is back from the past for you to enjoy:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Helen Kane was "The original Boop-Boop-A-Doop girl." Sadly, her career was a real flash-in-the-pan, lasting only a few years. Despite this, she very heavily inspired the cartoon character we all know as Betty Boop (so much so that there was a lawsuit involved). This is one performer you'll probably either love or hate, as her voice is very unique.

Here is my personal favorite song of hers, which I first heard in the unusual but worthy film Pennies From Heaven with Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters. The lyrics are very iconoclastic and flippant of the values of the time. It is easy to see why church groups thought jazz music was a tool of the Devil:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    And another Andrews Sisters tune. This is by far their most famous song.
    What a coincidence. Rum and Coca Cola has been in heavy rotation on my playlist for a couple of weeks.

What I've always found funny about that song was the way the lyrics reflect the change in the way our society views certain things. We're a good bit more prudish than we used to be. Example? "...both mother and daughter working for the Yankee dollar. Oh, beat it, man, beat it." Nowadays, that would be called "sex tourism" and you can go to jail for the rest of your life. Back then, well, it was the greatest nation on earth spreading the prosperity around. ;)

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    What a coincidence. Rum and Coca Cola has been in heavy rotation on my playlist for a couple of weeks.

What I've always found funny about that song was the way the lyrics reflect the change in the way our society views certain things. We're a good bit more prudish than we used to be. Example? "...both mother and daughter working for the Yankee dollar. Oh, beat it, man, beat it." Nowadays, that would be called "sex tourism" and you can go to jail for the rest of your life. Back then, well, it was the greatest nation on earth spreading the prosperity around. ;)

I guess certain things get lost in translation over time. I had no idea the song was so raunchy! That was the thing about a lot of songs back then- unless you knew exactly what they were talking about, a lot of the lyrics could go right under the radar.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    One Hot Minute is a weird album. For this go around, the Red Hot Chili Peppers hired a new guitarist and changed their sound to a much truer funk style rather than the skeletal punk/funk sound they previously used. Despite having three major singles, the album didn't sell as well as their previous album and was considered a disappointment. Singer Anthony Keidis was battling full-blown heroin addiction, and his lyrics were much darker than usual ("My tendency for dependency is offending me/It's upending me/I'm pretending to be strong and free from my dependency/It's warping me.")

To add to matters, their new guitarist didn't fit in with the band well at all. He wasn't as enthusiastic about touring, preferred writing music alone, and in general didn't gel with the other members. He was eventually fired, an experience he is still bitter about to this day. Personally, I think his departure had a lot to do with the fact he was too good of a guitarist. Anyone familiar with playing a guitar can tell you the huge amount of difference in skill it takes to play his style versus RHCPs older style. Flea probably didn't like being one-upped in the band.

The album is considered by most of their fans to be their worst and they have officially disowned it. But when it came it out it was BIG. I remember a time when it was impossible to go a day without hearing My Friends on the radio. And despite the fact it wasn't released THAT long ago, it has completely disappeared from radio rotation. Personally this is the only album they realeased which I think not only has more than two or three decent songs max, but is actually listenable all the way through.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas

As I rode into Tombstone on my horse whose name was Mac
    I saw what I relate to you goin' on behind my back
    It seems the folks were up in arms a man now had to die
    For believin' things that didn't fit the laws they'd set aside
    The man's name was I'm a freak the best that I could see
    He was an executioner a hangman just like me
    I guess that he'd seen loopholes from workin' with his rope
    He'd hung the wrong man many times so now he turned to hope

He'd talk to all the people from his scaffold in the square
    He told them of the things he found;
    But they didn't seem to care
    He said the laws were obsolete, a change they should demand
    But the people only walked away, he couldn't understand

The Marshall's name was Uncle Sam he said he'd right this wrong
    He'd make the hangman shut his mouth if it took him all year long
    He finally arrested Freak and then he sent for me
    To hang a fellow hangman from a fellow hangman's tree

It didn't take them long to try him in their court of law
    He was guilty then of thinking a crime much worse than all
    They sentenced him to die so his seed of thought can't spread
    And infect the little children; that's what the law had said

So the hangin' day came 'round and he walked up to the noose
    I pulled the lever but before he fell I cut him loose
    They called it all conspiracy and that I had to die
    So to close our mouths and kill our minds they hung us side by side

And now there's two hangmen hangin' from a tree
    That don't bother me at all
    Two hangmen hangin' from a tree
    That don't bother me at all

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Mmmkay......I've listened to everything posted thus far....I love the old swing bands, Andrews Sisters, Helen Kane, Blue Grass, and even the Goss songs were kinda catchy.....

But I just can't warm up to Warm Leatherette........I tried listening to it twice, to see if I'm missing something. I guess I am....lol...

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Mmmkay......I've listened to everything posted thus far....I love the old swing bands, Andrews Sisters, Helen Kane, Blue Grass, and even the Goss songs were kinda catchy.....

But I just can't warm up to Warm Leatherette........I tried listening to it twice, to see if I'm missing something. I guess I am....lol...

Yeah, it's different. Used to give me nightmares.
    Back in '88, or so, I used to listen to Club 6400 on the radio on Friday night. A couple of the regular songs on the rotation were way out there and down right spooky to a kid.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    So....you want obscure do ya?

Janis Joplin and I got through the drug years together. She died but I survived but she never left my side. I wanted to see where she came from musically so I got into Bessie Smith and Billie Holiday and even took a detour into Mahalia Jackson's gospel music! It's all good and you can hear those influences in Janis Joplin's music.

A young singer named Joss Stone had the most incredible Janis Joplin clone voice and I began to buy her CD's. You will like the selection entitled "Teardrops"

http://www.last.fm/music/Joss+Stone

More contemporary but butt kickin' Looooosiana sound? Mark Broussard "Home". Check this out! I dare you!

More obscure? Scott Joplin's "Maple Leaf Rag". You won't top that one!

Flash

Last edited:
    Top Bottom