Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The often used thumb snap retention will not really slow down anyone coming up from behind (which was not the case here, of course).

Situational awareness???
    Bogus confronted the man first, specifically about the gun. Then got close. Really?? How does that not set alarm bells off on anyone with a pulse?

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Does it happen? Yes.
    Will it happen in the future? It would surprise me greatly if it doesn't.
    Does it happen to cops with retention holsters and training on how not to get their gun taken from them? More often than anyone wants to admit.

The fact is, most criminals won't even try it. Not worth the risk. And it usually happens to someone being stupid in the first place.
    The truth is, the only way to make sure a carry gun is not taken is to not carry one.
    Not my favorite option.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    How’s this for discourse:

“The 21-year-old open carrier was from Black Earth. Black Earth is a nearby small town. The Second Amendment activist had a shotgun, two pistols, and a large knife/machete. He was attempting to make political points while hoping to strike acquaintance with some girls, maybe get some phone numbers.”

When I carry, I’ll fight to the death over possession of my firearm, not do so in order to meet some chicks.

With all the weapons he had on him, to have let someone get in his personal space was stupid as he probably had zero ability to maintain control of his weapons.

Play silly games, win silly prizes.

ETA: with that many weapons, I just don’t get how the homeless dude didn’t get killed.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    The often used thumb snap retention will not really slow down anyone coming up from behind (which was not the case here, of course).

Situational awareness???
    Bogus confronted the man first, specifically about the gun. Then got close. Really?? How does that not set alarm bells off on anyone with a pulse?

Even a threat level III holster is not a deterrent to those who know how they work. A good holster is only a layer of defense, not a complete defense in and of it's self.

Just as an example, and a few of you will get this; the USAF Airbase Ground Defense Units used a "Defense in Depth" theory. When there were assets that required defending they would establish a defensive perimeter. On the outer most area they'd post LP/OP's, then the next layer would be covered by Mobile Reserve/Recon Patrols, next would be your Fighting Positions with interlocking fields of fire and last ditch effort their Final Protective Line. All of these defenders worked together to form defense in depth that was also an aggressive defense.

My approach to self defense is a similar concept. Situational Awareness along with Command Presence, good verbal skills, H2H skills, a good knowledge of blunt/edged/weapons of opportunity, and firearms all work together to keep yourself and loved one's out of harms way. You have to decide which ones are important or even relevant to you.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Brazilians Target security guards for the gun and I would guess that will eventually happen here with OC'ers. Still an infrequent occurrence and if it does happen the OC'er should have a plan to deal with it. It won't change anything for me. We all make choices on how much risk we will manage.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Brazilians Target security guards for the gun and I would guess that will eventually happen here with OC'ers. Still an infrequent occurrence and if it does happen the OC'er should have a plan to deal with it. It won't change anything for me. We all make choices on how much risk we will manage.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    I believe the risk of not carrying at all far outweighs the risk of OCing. I admit that I am more aware of those around me when carrying. Standing in lines like at a grocery store I am always positioning where my gun is away from others. I seem to always be watching those around me, or is it I am more aware that I am doing so while OCing?

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    In Brazil, yes they target security guards. And cops. And soldiers. Usually not a lone attacker though. Usually gangs that are already better armed than their prey and the people there are disarmed so they are no help. To reach that point here they would have to disarm the population.
    At this point in America, gangs out number cops. And in many instances are at least as well armed as most cops. One of the things that keeps them in check is an armed society that my well resort to vigilante justice if needed. As long as they pretty much stay where most people don't notice their behavior, most will tend to ignore them. If they tried the same shit here as in Brazil, it would be a different story altogether.
    That is one of the reasons THEY want US disarmed? Criminals from the street up can then do as they please.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom