• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    OK Guys, I am a bit behind because I spent the majority of last month overseas; but the SAXET gun show is this coming weekend (5-6 Oct) and the better Premier one is the weekend following (12-13 Oct).

Most likely we'll be going to both, and will have breakfast at the normal locations (IHOP before SAXET, and Teran's before Premier, both at 8am).

If anyone's interested and needs more details, post up here. I will do my best to get more info up but most of us know the drill when it comes to these shows.

Cheers! M2
    Capitol Armory ad

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Here are the details I am posting on other forums...

Yee-haw! It’s time for the Premier San Antonio Gun Show again!
    bth_ShootingCowboySmiley-1.gif

As most of you already know, this is the biggest and best gun show in Central Texas, perhaps even in the whole state! Over a thousand tables and one of the best venues for a gun show in the area. It does get crowded but the promoters keep the aisles nice and wide for everyone to walk and see what’s on the tables!

Dates are Saturday, 12 October and Sunday, 12 October 2013 at the Freeman Expo Hall next to the AT&T Center (3201 East Houston Street) here in beautiful San Antonio.

Hours are Saturday from 9am to 5pm, and Sunday 10am to 4pm.

General admission is still only $8 (cash only), weekend passes are $12 (also cash only) and children UNDER 12 and Uniformed Peace Officers get in free!

Public parking is $5 per vehicle (it’s a city lot, so the promoters have no control over this).

Befriend Premier Gun Shows on Facebook and learn the secret word that gets you a dollar off entry posted before every show!

More information can be found here: Premier San Antonio Gun Show.

A group of us meet up for breakfast beforehand at 8am on Saturday not far from the show at Teran’s (4403 E Houston St), some of the best Mexican food in town! Feel free to join us if you’re interested!

Cheers! M2

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I have not attended a SA gun show since March of 2013.

If you want to be raped by high gun and ammo prices -- have at it.

With a little patience, I've found plenty of .22LR, 9mm, .45 Auto, 7.62x39, and 5.56mm at 2012 prices locally and elsewhere.

Bought more guns and ammo at better prices this year than in the past fifteen years.

Wal-Mart, Cabela's, and Academy are our best friends.

I avoid the LGS for the same reason as gun shows.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    I've had great fun at the SAXET shows filling in gaps in my WWII military "all countries" collection. I didn't have one of those at the start of the year, but for the prices rather nice representational samples have been going for as the yabbos demand "black rifles" it hasn't been difficult or expensive to do so.

Speaking of black rifles, I'll have a couple of cases of Dreadnaught AR lowers on hand. Let me know you are TGT and I'll cut you the LE discount ;)

Alex

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I have not attended a SA gun show since March of 2013.

If you want to be raped by high gun and ammo prices -- have at it.

With a little patience, I've found plenty of .22LR, 9mm, .45 Auto, 7.62x39, and 5.56mm at 2012 prices locally and elsewhere.

Bought more guns and ammo at better prices this year than in the past fifteen years.

Wal-Mart, Cabela's, and Academy are our best friends.

I avoid the LGS for the same reason as gun shows.

You're missing the point. First, admittedly gun shows are not the best place to find the cheapest prices on ammo; but during the "drought" I was able to score ammo that was vacant from store shelves.

Secondly, I challenge any of the businesses you listed to provide as wide of a selection of firearms that can be found for sale at the shows. The new Gander Mountain in SA had exactly one AK for sale, an overpriced WASR-10 that I could find a better deal on at the show. Additionally, your chances of negotiating a deal at those stores is nil; whereas I have scored some great firearms at shows that you'll never see at WalMart, Cabela's or Academy much less be able to wheel and deal on.

Thirdly, gun shows much more than just buying guns and ammo. We have some great crowds that show up for breakfast, and many people on here get to put a face to a screen name and actually learn who the person is behind the avatar. Many times that comradely flows into the show, and people will walk around in groups and help each other find things or even just learn about them. Then there are the vendors themselves, many of which are more than happy to simply talk about firearms in addition to sell them. So there's obviously educational benefits.

Lastly, there's the sheer pleasure of being around that many firearms and accessories, as well as like-minded people. Gun shows are a gathering of the firearms community, and you'll have folks from all walks of life coming together, sharing stories and helping each other. For the five bucks or so it costs to get in, there's little else that can provide such a level of entertainment, education and enjoyment than spending a couple of hours at a gun show.

And I get an even greater joy of them as my 16-yr-old son accompanies me. It won't be long before he's off to college and seeing the world on his own. This time is precious to me and I know one day I will look back at going to these shows together as quality father-son time. There are many positive aspects of gun shows that could be removed and it wouldn't bother me, but this is the one thing about them that means the most to me and the rest are simple, as they say, "gravy."

So while you may have your reasons for not wanting to go, that's understandable but I contend there are more reasons to go than not to...

Cheers! M2

bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Hello all,

I'm new to these parts. Always looking to meet new people and make new friends in the shooting community.

Is the pre-gun show breakfast open invite? If so, where is it exactly?

Thanks.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Just show up...

IHOP on the corner of Marbach and 410...a block up from the gun show venue. You can smell your way there...

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Hello all,

I'm new to these parts. Always looking to meet new people and make new friends in the shooting community.

Is the pre-gun show breakfast open invite? If so, where is it exactly?

Thanks.

They let me in, once.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Coming in on I-10 from the North, what exit would one take for the Premier show? Is there an East Houston exit or do I need to go to 410?

Edited to say 410 instead of 90 ...........duh!

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Charlie

It's easy, just take IH-10/Hwy 90 eastbound and get off on the Houston Street exit (Exit 579). If you're coming to breakfast, take a right at the light and Teran's will be just under a mile down the road on the left side. There's a sign, ya can't miss it.

If you're just going to the show, once you leave IH-10/Hwy 90 on Exit 579 then take a left under the overpass and you'll see the AT&T Center on your right after about a mile. Keep going past it and the Expo Center will be in the same area but on the west side (there will be signs as well). If you cross over the railroad tracks, you've gone too far (the entrance will be on the right just before you get to them).

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Whoops, Skip tells me that the Houston Street exit is still under construction. Here's an alternate route to get to Teran's...

Go to the next exit (WW White) while still heading east on IH-10, then go south on that street and after a half mile make a right onto Houston St. Teran's will be on your right, about 0.2 miles from WW White.

To go directly to the show, it's probably easiest to take that same exit then head back westward on the access road until you get to Houston Street. Then turn right and the show will be about a mile down on the right side.

By the way, here's the thread from the last show for anyone interested in how this show is...

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...antonio-gun-show-%96-31-aug-1-sep-2013-a.html

Cheers! M2

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    You're missing the point. First, admittedly gun shows are not the best place to find the cheapest prices on ammo; but during the "drought" I was able to score ammo that was vacant from store shelves.

Secondly, I challenge any of the businesses you listed to provide as wide of a selection of firearms that can be found for sale at the shows. The new Gander Mountain in SA had exactly one AK for sale, an overpriced WASR-10 that I could find a better deal on at the show. Additionally, your chances of negotiating a deal at those stores is nil; whereas I have scored some great firearms at shows that you'll never see at WalMart, Cabela's or Academy much less be able to wheel and deal on.

Thirdly, gun shows much more than just buying guns and ammo. We have some great crowds that show up for breakfast, and many people on here get to put a face to a screen name and actually learn who the person is behind the avatar. Many times that comradely flows into the show, and people will walk around in groups and help each other find things or even just learn about them. Then there are the vendors themselves, many of which are more than happy to simply talk about firearms in addition to sell them. So there's obviously educational benefits.

Lastly, there's the sheer pleasure of being around that many firearms and accessories, as well as like-minded people. Gun shows are a gathering of the firearms community, and you'll have folks from all walks of life coming together, sharing stories and helping each other. For the five bucks or so it costs to get in, there's little else that can provide such a level of entertainment, education and enjoyment than spending a couple of hours at a gun show.

And I get an even greater joy of them as my 16-yr-old son accompanies me. It won't be long before he's off to college and seeing the world on his own. This time is precious to me and I know one day I will look back at going to these shows together as quality father-son time. There are many positive aspects of gun shows that could be removed and it wouldn't bother me, but this is the one thing about them that means the most to me and the rest are simple, as they say, "gravy."

So while you may have your reasons for not wanting to go, that's understandable but I contend there are more reasons to go than not to...

Cheers! M2

M2:

Well said, and if it works for you, go for it.

I enjoyed gun shows for many, many years because of the (1) camaraderie, (2) relationships I built up with vendors over the years, and (3) competitive gun/ammo/accessory prices.

All that evaporated after 2008. Our "friends" tried to scalp, boil, and fry our pocketbooks. The "rare" items you speak of, are a lucky find at an isolated show periodically, but available all over the place with the help of Mr. Google, Mr. Midway, Mr. Gunbroker, and Mr. Brownell, among many others.

I found all the 8mm Mauser ammo I wanted cheap on-line when none was available at SAXET or at Premier. Same for 9x18 Mak. Sportsman's Guide was my best friend for K98 slings and bayonets. Academy had 7.62x39 in Spam Cans for $.25/round when the gun show ammo hawks sold it for $.43 round. Wally had M855 for $.44/rd when it cost a dollar a round at the shows. Brownell's supplied me with 10-round AR mags when none could be had at any price in Dirty Old SA.

I used to say that a gun show is more fun than an overpriced movie at your local Megaplex.

Hope you enjoy the show. I'll be fishing for bass -- a newly re-discovered old hobby.

mak91

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    bodhi,

welcome to the area. my family and i moved here earlier this summer. i hope to make it to the show/ihop and meet you and the other guys from the site.

best,

dave

Top Bottom