APOD Firearms

Off-Duty NYC Cop killed by friendly fire...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    That is sad, even sadder that the issue of race is even mentioned at this time. Will be interesting to see what comes of this investigation...

+1 for everyone being safe out there

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Why did they even mention the race thing here. It just seems so out of place.

"The shooting is likely to raise questions again about departmental procedures involving communications among plainclothes officers — particularly those in different units — as well as issues of race. Officer Edwards was black; the officer who shot him was white."

Does that mean that communications between different races of police needs to be different for different races. . . . separate but equal?

Sorry, I'm a little sensitive to the race mongering right now.

I feel very bad for the officer who died and his family.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I think the guy who shot him will be lucky to stay out of prison.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    That's horrible.

Anyone else notice that six shots were fired and only two struck the officer? That to me says the shooter panicked and reacted by shooting the officer when he saw the gun.

So I believe that the officer who shot the other officer is at fault. However I do not think he will face any prison time.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Very sad!:(

Where did the race thing come from???:confused:

I have read this article twice and still don't see where race would be an issue other than it took place in Harlem.

The last time I was in NY - Harlem was about 10 years ago but for the most part Harlem was pretty diversified as far as race. Some blocks were more one group than another but pretty well diversified.

Some times I wounder if the media throws out the race card to see how much stink they can stir up for a better story???

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Very sad!:(

Where did the race thing come from???:confused:

I have read this article twice and still don't see where race would be an issue other than it took place in Harlem.

The last time I was in NY - Harlem was about 10 years ago but for the most part Harlem was pretty diversified as far as race. Some blocks were more one group than another but pretty well diversified.

Some times I wounder if the media throws out the race card to see how much stink they can stir up for a better story???

here is the paragraph that mentions race

"The shooting is likely to raise questions again about departmental procedures involving communications among plainclothes officers — particularly those in different units — as well as issues of race. Officer Edwards was black; the officer who shot him was white."

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    here is the paragraph that mentions race

I saw that but what does race have to do with the shooting other than "Edwards was black; the officer who shot him was white."

That statement right there is racist!

Color should never had been an issue other than the white cop saw a black man with a gun and shot him before identifying a threat and or his target.

To me it seems the race card is tossed out any time a minority is involved whether race had anything to do with act or actions.

In this case it seems simple - the shooter did not verify the threat or lack there of. He saw a man with a gun and shot him.
    Color should not have entered into the equation. IMO!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Where and how did the police officers see the gun? Was it OC? Did they ask him if he was carrying? Why did they shoot first and ask questions later? Nowhere do I see how and why the officers got to the point of drawing and shooting the guy.

This incident makes me mad for several reasons.

May 29, 2009
    Off-Duty Officer Is Fatally Shot by Police in Harlem

By RUSS BUETTNER and AL BAKER
    A New York City police officer who had just gotten off duty was fatally shot late Thursday in East Harlem by a fellow officer who mistook him for an armed criminal, Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said.
    The officer who was killed, Omar J. Edwards, 25, a two-year veteran who was assigned to patrol housing projects and was wearing plain clothes, was shot in the arm and chest after a team of three other plainclothes officers in a car came upon him chasing a man on East 125th Street between First and Second Avenues with his gun drawn, Mr. Kelly said.
    The team’s members, assigned to the anticrime unit in the 25th Precinct, got out of their vehicle and confronted Officer Edwards. The police were investigating whether the officers had identified themselves or demanded that Officer Edwards drop his weapon before one of them opened fire.
    Mr. Kelly identified the officer who fired the shots only as a four-year veteran of the department, and said he had fired six rounds from his 9-millimeter Glock. Two bullets struck Officer Edwards.
    Officer Edwards, a recently married father of two from Brooklyn, was taken to Harlem Hospital Center, where he was pronounced dead at 11:21 p.m. No one else was injured.
    "While we don’t know all of the details of what happened tonight, this is a tragedy,” Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said during an early morning news conference at the hospital. “Rest assured we will find out exactly what happened here and see what we can learn from it so it can never happen again.”
    The shooting is likely to raise questions again about departmental procedures involving communications among plainclothes officers — particularly those in different units — as well as issues of race. Officer Edwards was black; the officer who shot him was white.
    Mr. Kelly said the tragic string of events began when Officer Edwards, a member of the Housing Bureau Impact Response Team, left duty about 10:30 p.m., approached his car and saw that a man had broken the driver’s side window and was rummaging through the vehicle. The two scuffled, and the man escaped Officer Edwards’s grip by slipping out of his sweater.
    A police official said officers at the scene learned that Officer Edwards was a colleague only when they ripped open his shirt in an effort to revive him and saw a Police Academy T-shirt. They then searched his pants pockets and found a badge.
    Investigators were interviewing the two officers in the car who did not fire at Officer Edwards. The department does not interview officers involved in fatal shootings until a prosecutor determines whether criminal charges will be brought.
    The man who apparently broke into Officer Edwards’s car, Miguel Santiago, was also being interviewed by investigators, officials said. The police said his five prior arrests include charges of robbery, assault and drug violations.
    There have been at least two cases of off-duty police officers being shot by colleagues in the New York region in recent years.
    In January 2008, a Mount Vernon officer, Christopher A. Ridley, 23, was killed by Westchester County police officers in downtown White Plains as he tried to restrain a homeless man whom he had seen assault another person.
    And in February 2006, a New York City officer, Eric Hernandez, 24, was fatally shot by a fellow officer while responding to a 911 call about a fight at a White Castle restaurant in the Bronx.
    Thursday night’s shooting occurred near the approach to the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge (formerly the Triborough).
    Maalik Lane, 20, was waiting for a bus nearby at 125th Street and Third Avenue when, he said, he heard more than five gunshots.
    “I saw police, up to 20 police cars,” driving by at high speeds, said Mr. Lane, who lives on Wards Island. “I was, like, someone is having a shootout with police. The bus driver said, ‘Somebody shot the police.’ ”
    Mr. Lane added, “I feared for my life.”
    Just before 1 a.m. Friday, the ambulance parking bay at the hospital had been roped off, with six police officers standing sentry. More than a dozen officers, some in uniform, others in plain clothes, paced and waited for news.
    After the news conference, about 3 a.m., officers left the hospital, several in tears and consoling one another.
    Jason Grant, Jennifer Mascia and Mathew R. Warren contributed reporting.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I saw that but what does race have to do with the shooting other than "Edwards was black; the officer who shot him was white."

That statement right there is racist!

Color should never had been an issue other than the white cop saw a black man with a gun and shot him before identifying a threat and or his target.

To me it seems the race card is tossed out any time a minority is involved whether race had anything to do with act or actions.

In this case it seems simple - the shooter did not verify the threat or lack there of. He saw a man with a gun and shot him.
    Color should not have entered into the equation. IMO!

I misunderstood your original statement, thought you meant you did not see that comment on "race" in the original news clip.

Top Bottom