• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    "The Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm was Ortiz's personal weapon and did have a safety on it, located on the left hand side of the slide."

In case anyone was wondering what brand it was

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I was a cop for many years. They come from all cross sections of society and they represent a full cross section of gun owners.

Every group has poor gun handlers . Him being a cop has nothing to do with i .
    I agree but police officers have a lot more firearms training than the average guy on the street.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I was a cop for many years. They come from all cross sections of society and they represent a full cross section of gun owners.

Every group has poor gun handlers . Him being a cop has nothing to do with i .

Correct.

Problem is many people believe "only police are professional enough to have guns", which has led to police officers being given extra carry rights. We need to dispel the myth that police are gun experts.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I agree but police officers have a lot more firearms training than the average guy on the street.

While some police officers are better trained to handle firearms than some civilians, they soemtimes forget or disregard what they have been taught - or maybe just suffer from a lapse of judgment now and then. Sadly, such a lapse can be fatal when it comes to guns.

I think his biggest mistake, after shooting himself, was calling his fianceé instead of calling 911 and staying on the line with the 911 operator or possibly someone the 911 operator would have gotten on the line to help him. They could have given him instructions on staying calm - thinking straight and what to do to try to save himself such as applying a tourniquet or sticking a finger into the artery to slow or stop the bleeding - anything that might have helped him last until help got there. Very sad indeed.

My condolences to his fianceé, his children and his loved ones and co-workers. RIP.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Why did they include....it didn't have a safety? It does..........

It damn sure wasn't S&W's fault......

A femoral artery bleed can cause unconsciousness and death very quickly...and close to the the groin area, imho....only direct pressure would be really effective....a tourniquet there may slow the flow, but probably wouldn't be effective enough to stop it......he was never going to be able to drive himself with such a wound and make it.....911 would have been his best bet while trying (very difficult to do on yourself) to hold enough direct pressure on the wound......

jmho....having years of first hand experience with femoral artery bleeds.......

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    From the article....

"Baxter said Ortiz had suffered a single gunshot wound to his left thigh that struck his femoral artery."

I got that. The thigh covers a very large area. Femoral arteries are long.

Because details really do matter when people are pontificating solutions. A tourniquet might have saved his life IF the wound was far enough down his thigh. High up on the thing and a tourniquet might not have made any difference at all. If the femoral artery was separated, the ends often retract a bit and you can't put it high enough to capture the end pulled inside at the body. If a high, inside shot, as might happen with appendix carry and a person sitting inside his vehicle, even if not fully separated, the tourniquet still might not be able to even pinch off the artery prior to the wound. Ideally, you won't want to place a tourniquet closer than 2-3" of the wound and generally place it as high as possible, but with a high thigh wound, the tourniquet may be too close, or even worse, on top of the wound, failing to trap and seal off the artery.

A low thigh or mid thigh injury would be well served by a tourniquet.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Tourniquets were applied per the article. Maybe they should have used belts instead.

Yes, and they may or may not have been effective given the location of the injury. Of course, tourniquets were applied no sooner than 7 minutes after the femoral artery had been breached (call time to girlfriend to arrival time of responding officers) and probably longer. Assuming they could have been effective at closing off the artery, then he had already bled out too much by that time.

Top Bottom