Detention.......??

wiley-coyote-bomb-blowing-up-1-gif.950303

Johnny Diamond

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    US
    I've heard that the tires are a one shot deal, part of maintenance? But my profession was automotive not aircraft.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I wonder how many landings like that before those tires have to be replaced?

Look closely - on a B-52 the entire undercarriage "crabs" to the side so crosswind landings will be less stressful on the tires and landing gear. They can land and taxi with the nose of the plane pointed off to the side up to 20°. They're good for a few hundred landings as long as they're not out of the ordinary, from what I've read. The landings in the video are considered "ordinary" for a BUFF.

Johnny Diamond

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    US
    Nah, they use 'em till they're about to fall apart. You should see the wear visible on tires at an airshow!
    Makes sense I was in charge of my company's, later battalion headquarters parts department and vehicle rotation for 82nd Airborne you think the Army could wear out and wreck things....unless you've seen a heavy drop go bad, you have no idea.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Makes sense I was in charge of my company's, later battalion headquarters parts department and vehicle rotation for 82nd Airborne you think the Army could wear out and wreck things....unless you've seen a heavy drop go bad, you have no idea.

You got me curious so I checked. Here's a typical result I found...

Johnny Diamond

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    US
    By the way before the question arises yes I have mentioned before I was in the 18th Airborne Corp.... 18th Airborne Corp, 530th S&S Battalion 503rd Maintainence Co. Later chief at Battalion Headquarters decided to begin "The ORF" section, and pulled me and my new NCO who happened to be a buddy of mine away from 503rd and we were then permanently assigned to Battalion HQ.
    Organizational Readiness Float
    section I received all of 82nds destroyed vehicles and issued new ones, so yeah I have seen some really trashed trucks!

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    You got me curious so I checked. Here's a typical result I found...

from your article "Replacing airplane tires is a complex operation that requires specialized equipment and trained personnel."

Depends on the aircraft I suppose. I change the tires on my Grumman Cheetah myself, just a floor jack and wrenches.

Top Bottom