076EB57C-6F49-4EFD-AD19-6B7EC74FF209.jpeg
    Lynx Defense

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    When was the last time ya seen a blame PRIUS with ALL FOUR WHEELS ..........OFF THE GROUND?

Exactly!!
    Well, I've seen a street car Prius go 9.30's in the quarter mile. Okay fine, it had a Hellcat motor swap, but at least it was built right and wasn't riding like a mud truck down the 1320' :) Wheels up is wasting power that could be used to go forward. That's probably the biggest lesson learned as tire technology and suspension geometry knowledge grew.

Gassers are from a bygone era. Some nostalgia buffs do keep them going, which is a great thing, but performance wise they simply cannot compete. We have definitely learned a lot over the years. If you want to see how things have changed, look up a few Hot Rod Drag Week videos on Youtube. Here's a quick summary: Fastest street legal cars from Hot Rod Drag Week 2021. These cars have to be able to support themselves as they drive from dragstrip to dragstrip across America. No trailer cars! There's a few gassers who compete too.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hey Brains,

I get it!

I recall TOP FUEL time slips in the 7's! Smoldering rubber all the way down the track for 198mph/7 something slip!

Now? Pro Stock is running in the 6's!

I (and thousands more) enjoy the NOSTALGIA DRAGS! If you ever get the chance...Beaver Springs puts on a heck of a show!

http://www.beaversprings.com/

As do Budd's Creek , Capitol Dragway and many more....

We are all well aware of the advances in "power to the ground" tech....(even saw a fellow tune a late model Chrysler 300 into the 12's with his laptop).....

For pure excitement? Tough to beat a FUEL ALTERED!

1634491269248.png

Later, Mark

Last edited:

ETH77

ZAP Rules
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2008
    Houston
    In the late 60's I worked on a friend's AA/FD. In those days they smoked the tires the whole run. No electric start, push starts, no reverse gear, no burnouts.
    Those were the days. If you ever want to have serious flashbacks, drop by Don Garlits museum in Ocala FL. The smell alone had me flashing. Nitro, rubber, Castrol-R, cars, the rails, not just all the Swamp Rats, but the rare ones, Jocko’s Porting Service, Speed Sport, Sox & Martin, Lil Red Truck, yes there are fuel altereds, A, B, C gasers, SS Dodges, Chevies, AMC (!), Fords, and engines, the engines. Keith Black, Grumpy, on and on. Plan on at least two days. Any faster and you miss part of American history. At first you’ll probably do like I did and look for favs. Then you realize that there’s some stuff you missed and you go back. If it were closer, I’d hit it twice, maybe three times a year. We were lucky, a couple was getting married in a pavilion on the property and Don was there for pics with the couple. Didn’t want to disturb the event so we just drove on by. Don was never really very big, but he didn’t grow any either.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Those were the days. If you ever want to have serious flashbacks, drop by Don Garlits museum in Ocala FL. The smell alone had me flashing. Nitro, rubber, Castrol-R, cars, the rails, not just all the Swamp Rats, but the rare ones, Jocko’s Porting Service, Speed Sport, Sox & Martin, Lil Red Truck, yes there are fuel altereds, A, B, C gasers, SS Dodges, Chevies, AMC (!), Fords, and engines, the engines. Keith Black, Grumpy, on and on. Plan on at least two days. Any faster and you miss part of American history. At first you’ll probably do like I did and look for favs. Then you realize that there’s some stuff you missed and you go back. If it were closer, I’d hit it twice, maybe three times a year. We were lucky, a couple was getting married in a pavilion on the property and Don was there for pics with the couple. Didn’t want to disturb the event so we just drove on by. Don was never really very big, but he didn’t grow any either.

I scond that, very impressive place. Bad part is I remembered most of them, and saw them run at Green Valley Raceway

Top Bottom