Official kids at the gun range thread

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Ranges' started by Dawico, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    So every once in a while we have a thread about a member bringing their younger child to the range. Pictures get posted, a few comments are made, and the thread fades off into oblivion.

Consider this the official thread to post pictures of your kiddos at the range or in the field/ stand, ideas for targets beyond the normal paper punching, and ranges that are very welcoming to having your kids on the line.

We all know they are our future and hopefully his thread can help push people to get their kids on the firing line more often.

For basic ground rules here, let's say 18 and younger, positive pictures and stories with any kind of firearm, and in any shooting sport. Hunting, target shooting, plinking, competition, whatever. If you think it fits then post it up and comment away.

If you want shooting advise, mentors, specific range or hunting rules regarding children, gun safety specifics, or negative news stories please start a different thread. While important also, some of those topics will overrun the intent of this thread.

Let's see what you got!

2. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My 11 year old daughter went to the range with me last Saturday. The weather was mid 40s all day.

I had planned to test some ammo and a few new rifles. She happened to ask about shooting a few days before so I brought her along.

She will spend all day with a Savage single shot bolt action 22 loaded with 22 Short ammo. That is her go to rifle.

I did manage to get her to try my AR15 and she enjoyed that. She put her first shot just a hair off the bullseye.

She powered through the weather but did have to take a few breaks to warm up her hands. It was a chilly day out there.

I definitely need to make range days with her a bigger priority.

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. TX69

TX69 TGT Addict

Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I do not have children (well any that I know of) but I am posting to applaud those parents that take the time to teach their children how to shoot. I can tell you, without a doubt, you are having a positive affect on that child's life. One of the few things that my adopted father ever did with me was teach me how to shoot shotguns and clean them at a very early age. When I was seven years old he won a Winchester 9422 lever action rifle that came from the factory with a Simmons scope and rail with it. I still have that pristine rifle and scope today and it still is extremely accurate.

Raising children is not an easy task but one of the most rewarding things you can do is share your hobbies with them in the hopes that they too will enjoy shooting. Although my father and I don't see each other much anymore I have in return taught countless people how to shoot. At a minimum I have taken people with me to let them shoot my gear to hopefully ease their fears over media hyped firearms so that they may buy and shoot them for themselves or possibly with their children.

A big "thank you" to those how take those kids out there and teach them!

4. BRD@66

BRD@66 Well-Known

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Yes. Yes you do. In just eleven more years she'll be 22.

cm76065 likes this.
  5. shortround

shortround TGT Addict

Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The two grandkids have a Cricket Rifle and a Crack-Shot Rifle.

When they are old enough to shoot them, they will have an ample supply of ammo.

That's what we do. My Pappy always had plenty of ammo for me to shoot.

But he made made me make every shot count.

Teach them young 'uns!

Be well.

6. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I have a Stevens Favorite (Savage single shot) in my safe for my two grandboys when they (and their dad) get ready to shoot it. :green:

7. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    My daughter helps reload too.

[​IMG]

8. Major Kong

Major Kong Well-Known

May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Great thread idea!!

Thanks for creating.

Sent from a B-52 over Russia

9. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Good for her (and you).

10. orbitup

orbitup overlapping backflap TGT Supporter

Nov 6, 2010
    South of Dallas
    Always good to see! I've got a few years before I can start doing this with the grandkids.