• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Apparently, the Texas Ranger will be testifying again today. This time for the defense. If he testifies that her actions against the perceived threat were reasonable, I could see a not guilty verdict being possible.

If he is allowed to testify like that, the prosecution will just bring in all the other investigators who contradict his opinion. It will be a sh!t show. The Rangers opinion makes for good TV, but is irrelevant. He is a finder of fact, not an adjudicant. In addition, his opinion was formed over a year ago, so it is severely biased and prejudged, without all of the evidence, etc. Kinda like all the rest of us.

Everyone has opinions, even the judge. She will not testifying to her opinion.

In Texas, Grand Jury's determines charges, so only their opinion matters. And it does not have to be unanimous. So there might GJ'ers who did not think she should be charged. They will not be testifying their opinion either.
    Capitol Armory ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    In a true self defense scenario, aren't you really trying to kill the person attacking you?

I mean, nobody is shooting to wound, correct?
    No. Shoot to stop. If it is my intent to kill and I fire say...two rounds and he falls down and screams that he has been shot (a sign he is still alive,) I would keep shooting.

If I am shooting to stop, then when the threat stops so do I

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    In a true self defense scenario, aren't you really trying to kill the person attacking you?
    You don't shoot to kill or to wound. You shoot to stop.

In a true self-defense scenario, what the person doing is so horrible or so threatening or so violent that you must take action to force the bad guy to stop what he's doing. Right. This. Second.

The need to stop them from doing what they're doing is so overwhelming that all other considerations fall way down the priority ladder. Keeping the bad guy alive isn't something you care about. It's not even a consideration. You just want them to stop what they're doing. Whether they live or die isn't a consideration.

If that means the only way to stop them is to put a bullet right between their eyes, a shot you know will be fatal, that's fine. That's still not shooting to kill. That's shooting to stop them instantly.

Even if you put a bullet through someone's brain and you know they're going to die, you're not shooting to kill. You're just shooting to stop them. There's no intent to cause death.

That intent is the difference between a bad actor and an innocent person who is forced to take action, action for which they should not be blamed or held accountable.

Amber testified that her intent was to be a bad actor. I don't know if she intended to testify to that...but that's what she said under oath.

SMDH.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It's a nuance to lawyers and whatnot, but for a juror I doubt they see it from that perspective.

Honestly, the average citizen understands that when a person feels their life is being threatened, that individual will use any and every means available to prevent that from happening.

And the "opinion" of a Ranger has a lot more significance, it is his "professional opinion" from years of experience. It holds a lot more credibility than "everyone."

Based on what I've seen of the proceedings, I do believe she is sincere and had no intent of taking a life that night. She honestly believed she was entering her apartment, found the door open and someone inside, and engaged that individual as she had been trained. When she perceived he moved towards her, she took action.

All this BS about tasers, booty calls and the whatever else is just noise and distraction. Botham Jeam had 10.4 grams of marijuana in ziplock bags in his apartment, a metal marijuana grinder, a black ballistic vest with "police" markings, and a black backpack with police equipment and paperwork...how much of a factor is all that in what happened?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Wild guess, but perhaps because she was a cop and should know how to testify, her defense team assumed she did not need to be prepped?
    That would make her defense team almost as stupid as her. You don't just overlook something that basic. You don't make assumptions when their impact is potentially whether your client walks free or dies in jail.

El Spicoli

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2019
    Grand Prairie
    I thought the same thing. I think those words are going to send her to prison.

Not what I would have said but the defense can counter that. Most of us have been trained to say we shoot to stop. Whether the person dies or not is immaterial. That said, when most draw and fire a gun at someone, we all know there is a strong possibility that the person will be killed especially if she follows her training to shoot center mass.

I guess we will see what they jury thinks but again getting 12 people to agree she murdered him is a tough call in my opinion. Her attorney got the TX Seven convicted and made a run for DA. Him and his team are pretty smart trial attorneys.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    She was shook while testifying, and may not even realize what she was saying. She seemed intimidated by the prosecutor
    I wish I understood how this could be true. I've been yelled at by opposing counsel and by the judge in Federal District Court. I've been deposed by really angry (or at least angry-acting) attorneys. Such things can be unnerving.

In every case, I still knew to just concentrate on the literal meanings of the words being thrown at me and answer the questions with the truth.

Yeah, I got shook but I can't imagine being so shook that I would testify to something so (theoretically completely) untrue as whether or not I intended to kill someone.

It's a formal proceeding. No one is facing an instant beating if they say the wrong thing. There's no reason to not take a beat and a breath and answer each question in a truthful way that doesn't make you look like a complete idiot.

What kind of stupid, weak-willed person can't manage that? Well, Amber couldn't and I don't understand why.

I am being sincere when I ask everyone here - If you can explain it to me, I'd love to understand.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I wish I understood how this could be true. I've been yelled at by opposing counsel and by the judge in Federal District Court. I've been deposed by really angry (or at least angry-acting) attorneys. Such things can be unnerving.

In every case, I still knew to just concentrate on the literal meanings of the words being thrown at me and answer the questions with the truth.

Yeah, I got shook but I can't imagine being so shook that I would testify to something so (theoretically completely) untrue as whether or not I intended to kill someone.

It's a formal proceeding. No one is facing an instant beating if they say the wrong thing. There's no reason to not take a beat and a breath and answer each question in a truthful way that doesn't make you look like a complete idiot.

What kind of stupid, weak-willed person can't manage that? Well, Amber couldn't and I don't understand why.

I am being sincere when I ask everyone here - If you can explain it to me, I'd love to understand.
    I hear you. The other side always tries to intimidate. I have been treated the same, but never due to my actions that had me on tral

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Botham Jeam had 10.4 grams of marijuana in ziplock bags in his apartment, a metal marijuana grinder, a black ballistic vest with "police" markings, and a black backpack with police equipment and paperwork...how much of a factor is all that in what happened?

First time I've read that anywhere. Further basic for my assumption that she was getting either the Big D or the little d's from him.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    So, in the heat of the moment, is it..

Kill or be killed.

Kill him before he kills me.

Or

Stop him before he kills me.
    What is your best case scenario?

I don't want to kill anyone, I'd rather not have to live with that. But, with that said, given the choice, I'd rather it be the bad guy that dies than me.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    What is your best case scenario?

I don't want to kill anyone, I'd rather not have to live with that. But, with that said, given the choice, I'd rather it be the bad guy that dies than me.

There is no best case scenario.

But, if I'm being honest, I'm trying to kill the mother fucker that's trying to kill me.

ETA: Obviously, best case scenario is me not getting hurt.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    There is no best case scenario.

But, if I'm being honest, I'm trying to kill the mother fucker that's trying to kill me.

ETA: Obviously, best case scenario is me not getting hurt.
    I guess my moral conscience is wired a bit different. Don't get me wrong though, I would shoot center mass to try to avoid being hurt, but I wouldn't try to finish him off if he's down.

Kill or be killed, to me, would be when the odds are I would die, as in several trying to kill me.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    All this BS about tasers, booty calls and the whatever else is just noise and distraction. Botham Jeam had 10.4 grams of marijuana in ziplock bags in his apartment, a metal marijuana grinder, a black ballistic vest with "police" markings, and a black backpack with police equipment and paperwork...how much of a factor is all that in what happened?

I'm pretty sure that this equipment was what Amber was carrying when she opened the door. She testified that she was carrying her vest and backpack in her hands when she opened the door.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I guess my moral conscience is wired a bit different. Don't get me wrong though, I would shoot center mass to try to avoid being hurt, but I wouldn't try to finish him off if he's down.

Kill or be killed, to me, would be when the odds are I would die, as in several trying to kill me.

Sorry, never meant that, and can understand the confusion.
    Just at the instant I'm shooting, that's what I'm talking about.

And, it doesn't take several to try to kill you, only takes one.

Top Bottom