• ...and so much more!
  • Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    To All,

In 1977 when I was stationed at The Pentagon, AKA:The Puzzle Palace, The DC Metro PD sold over 300 Winchester Model 1897& Model 12, Marlin, Ithaca & Remington riot-guns to DC Residents for 200.oo each for "home defense". - The "catch" was that you got NO choice as to which shotgun that you received (though all were said to be in VG or better condition).
    The Property Clerk at DCMPD simply gave each purchaser which ever riot-gun was NEXT in the racks, in return for a certified copy of your purchase document.
    (My friend "lucked out". - Charles G___________ received a 1936 vintage Winchester Model 12 & in GREAT shape. - It has US DoP markings & a Rack Number stamped into the stock.)

Boxes of 00 buckshot were also sold (if you bought a riot-gun) for 1.oo per box of 5 shells. - I'm told that some of the boxes of buckshot were PRE-WWII & BRASS-cased.

yours, satx

Wow. Certainly don't do that anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mikeinhistory,

Shotguns have always been legal to own (in your own quarters) in DC. - It is my understanding that all of the shotguns that the MPD sold were "sold out" in 72 hours.

My friend, Charles G___________, says that his had seldom, if ever, been fired as it was internally "mint" BUT it had a considerable number of "signs of being carried"/dented wood/scratched metal (It probably was often in/out of MPD patrol cars) a LOT.
    (I never saw his pump-gun until after he had "refinished" it. - BEAUTIFUL describes his woodwork & re-bluing. = I would be afraid to even guess what a set of wood for a Model 12 would cost to get a stock as beautifully grained as Charles' 1930s riot-gun has. = MAYBE 300.oo plus!!)

ADDENDA: Charles said that he bought 10 boxes of buckshot (for 10 bucks), HOPING to get at least one box of WWII or Korean War era brass-case. - He said that I got "plain 'ole commercial shells" but that the shells shot fine.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I recently traded a Springfield M1A to a friend for this takedown model Winchester Model 1897 Riot Gun. It was made in 1940 and was sold, as excess military property by the Ohio State Adjutant General in 1976.

97_1.jpg

97_2.jpg

97_3.jpg

97_4.jpg

97_5.jpg

97_6.jpg

97_8.jpg

97_9.jpg

97_receipt_1.jpg

97_receipt_2.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Would you mind if I used your pics in my blog? There is a link in my sig line. Thanks again!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    cwo4uscgret,

Chief, I'd be "pleased clear down to the ground" to have that pump-gun. = VERY NICE, regardless of who it was issued to originally.

yours, satx
    USA, Retired

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

The following may be considered somewhat "off topic" but I think that a riot-gun that belongs to my "brother of the heart" may be "of interest" to at least a few members. - He bought the shotgun from a VA sheriff's office some years ago "for cheap", as he wanted a short/handy shotgun for house defense.
    (The pump-gun is loaded with #1 buckshot & "lives" behind the front door at The Mountain Lair in WV.)

When he got it home & started cleaning it, he discovered that it had the stock/action of a Winchester Model 12 & the "front end" of a Model 1897 Winchester. The pump-gun has a 20" barrel.

Curious, he wrote to The Buffalo Bill Museum at Cody WY & received a "factory letter" that states that that "hybrid" shotgun was "one of a relative few shotguns that were 'assembled from parts' at the Winchester factory between 1930-1935" & "sold on contract" to various law enforcement & corrections departments.
    According to the serial number, this shotgun was one of a small lot of riot-guns that were purchased in 1932 by the Mississippi State Prison at Parchman, MS.

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom