• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I know there's a few gearheads on here so I wanna get some opinions.

I've got a blazer with over 150,000 miles on it. I run standard oil in it with no problems. However, I'm changing the tranny fluid again soon as well as the diff oil for the first time. I'm debating between Lucas, Amsoil, and Mobile 1 (all synthetic). What's been yall's experience/research with those three brands?
    Guns International

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    None. My Avalanche had 225k on it when I traded.
    It had GM lube in it. Trans and axles.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Bout the same as other oil. Couldnt tell a difference. Maybe if i had a test ran on it but other than that oil is oil to me.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

gcarrillo004

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Atascocita, Texas
    tranny oil w/ that many miles? i wouldn't change it just top if off...brand is coke vs pepsi on the listed types...all great brands. i prefer mobil1 but have used them all and liked them. mobile 1 products are just easier to find on the shelf

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Have nothing but good to say about Amsoil. Buddy replaced his fluids in his Rig with it, and he got a consistant 7mpg with a Grossed out load.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I prefer Amsoil, but for some reason, its impossible to find out here. I'd have to special order it. I've heard rumor that Lucas has gone downhill. Mobile 1 seems pretty good though. I just can't find anything backing up the talk about Lucas going downhill. I've heard you can throw Amsoil in your diff and just forget about it.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Amsoil or Lucus. Have never heard anything bad about them.

You could also use royal purple

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I was in Advanced Auto Parts today on my quest for oil, and an older guy approaches me. By older-he's older than me. Was probably in his 40's. So he asks me what I'm looking for and I tell him Amsoil. He had never heard of it! Blew my mind!

Just because I like amsoil-that doesn't mean the others are out of the running. I'm debating if I wanna order it, or get something else off the shelf-and what to get if I go the shelf route.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    After decades of Mobil 1, I switched to Royal Purple. Even the OL can tell the difference. Best I can tell you is that without it - let off the gas, it feels like you have the emergency brake on a bit. With RP, the vehicle just rolls when you let off. I picked up a mpg when I switched from the oil that came in it in my Titan. It's made in Porter, and you can buy a case on eBay for $86.75 shipped to your door. YMMV.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    After decades of Mobil 1, I switched to Royal Purple. Even the OL can tell the difference. Best I can tell you is that without it - let off the gas, it feels like you have the emergency brake on a bit. With RP, the vehicle just rolls when you let off. I picked up a mpg when I switched from the oil that came in it in my Titan. It's made in Porter, and you can buy a case on eBay for $86.75 shipped to your door. YMMV.
    whose is the seller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK

What weight?

As long as the oil is synthetic. The engine is gonna outlast you. Police crown vics drive 80k beat up miles and idle for 5000k+ hrs. Then taxi companies buy them and poorer PDs use them for their cruisers.

Some engines have piston skirt oilers. We all want to take care of our ride. But it was built to run on factory oil. Whats a more expensive motor oil gonna do for you? I change mine every 15k. Mobil. Cuz it was on sale.

Now the filter? I bought Bosch. No skimpy on that. But if you still want good oil. Rotella full syn. Itll scrub a gas motor clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Mobil 1 Extended Performance is what I use. Bobistheoilguy.com If your really curious whats the best, check out this forum, really good tech on oil

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Oil is a much discussed topic on many auto forums: Here is some insight FWIW:

There are only about 140 or so refineries across the US. THe bulk of what they produce is for the big companies, such as Mobil 1. Scattered in amongst all this are assorted small 'botique' oil companies. Few of them do anything other than take existing oil they can build on and add various additives is different amounts to provide hoped for different results. In some cases this makes good sense as the requirement is unique, maybe its racing, off road, desert, extreme heat, extreme cold etc. When I raced I changed oil and oil filter every few races and did not mind paying a premium for special blends that allowed extreme high rpm/pressure and held up under heat.

You will find almost every extreme high performance car from any factory that comes with a warranty, runs Mobil 1. There may possibly be some that do not, but I am not familiar with any manufacturer that uses boutique oils.

If you want to spend the extra money and believe in often wondrous results from just pouring in a few qts of so called magic oil, then by all means do so. Its your wallet and your grin and that and maybe some lids you can flip on the local bar top might impress some smiling Mona Lisa into thinking you are a hero rather than a zero, then go for it. Me, well be it a 600 hp Chevy v8 or a Ford diesel cranking out over 800 lbs of torque, I still use a ful synthetic from a major such as Mobil 1, Q State, Shell etc, I am just not paying extra to impress that Mona Lisa...

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I ran 20W50 Severe Duty AmsOil in my road race car.

I had plumbed a Setrab oil cooler with a ducted fan.
    I'm not sure what the peak engine oil temp was ... the gauge only went 310*.

The Texas sun can be brutal on equipment that is run hard.
    But I never had an engine failure in the 7 years I ran.

I also ran AmsOil in my tow rig ... only because I had a sponsor supplying it.
    Once I left racing, I moved to Rotella.

In the CTS-V, Mazda Speed 3 and GMC P/U, I use Mobil 1.

And I always use a Wix filter.

High Mileage hype is full of detergents. If you've been using a quality oil and changing it often, it shouldn't be necessary.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I would worry about filter more than oil. Any name brand oil is going to get the job done.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom