• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I ran 20W50 Severe Duty AmsOil in my road race car.

I had plumbed a Setrab oil cooler with a ducted fan.
    I'm not sure what the peak engine oil temp was ... the gauge only went 310*.

The Texas sun can be brutal on equipment that is run hard.
    But I never had an engine failure in the 7 years I ran.

I also ran AmsOil in my tow rig ... only because I had a sponsor supplying it.
    Once I left racing, I moved to Rotella.

In the CTS-V, Mazda Speed 3 and GMC P/U, I use Mobil 1.

And I always use a Wix filter.

High Mileage hype is full of detergents. If you've been using a quality oil and changing it often, it shouldn't be necessary.
    LOL, sez it all...when I had a sponsor I ran the decals and the parts
    Military Camp

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I went from Mobil 1 to Amsoil and wix filters. in the Hyundai I put in penzoil and the OEM filter believe it or not it is cheaper then the cheapest oil filters atr the Autparts store.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I run Pennzoil and wix filters with no issues. I was using Pennzoil high mileage until an oil sales rep told me that its pointless to pay the extra as long as I keep up with my oil changes.

I'm curious to see what kinda condition the oil is in my diff when i drain it. Its only been in there for 9 years now. I take procrastination seriously :p

markviiimark

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    North Texas
    I use Amsoil in my Harleys and car, but couldn't make it to Napa so used Mobil 1 in my Lincoln this weekend. But I prefer Amsoil and Wix filters.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I realize that the cars referenced in here are very high performance, but the theory is still good.

Oils: What motor oil should I use? Which oil is best for my Porsche or aircooled engine?
    It's not that they are high performance, but that they are old. Metallurgy and design are not the same as they were in the 70s and 80s, so ZDDP isn't needed in modern engines in the same quantities as it used to be. It's analogous to why unleaded gas is bad for a stock 1950's engine.

BTW, you can get ZDDP additives for older cars with flat tappets or some other design feature that requires the added "cushion" to your oil. I use it in my Fiats due to their design, but not in the Datsun even though it is of the same vintage. I definitely would not add ZDDP to the oil on a modern car because it's not needed.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You have a Fiat :eek:
    yep, a couple X1/9s and 124 Spiders. I also have a Lancia Scorpion and a couple of parts cars to go with it that I'll restore one of these days. They all benefit from high ZDDP oil.

3246096935_9dbc85c2f0_z.jpg

6304802791_b3c05b7241_z.jpg

SA Justin

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    My old 600rwhp G8, my beater e46 Beemer, my wife's PT Loser, and my Avalanche all get a steady diet of Mobil 1 engine oil and Royal Purple in the dif's. Not sure what kind of transmission oil I'll use when the time comes but I won't cheap out.

If you really want to see how your oil is doing, grab a sample kit from Blackstone and have them test it. Very informative.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The ONLY problem I've ever had with oil was when I bought a Volvo 740 turbo with 243,000 miles. I said to myself, "self, run some high mileage synthetic with that mileage". I tried and it leaked like crazy. Switched back to the regular stuff it called for and it was all good again.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I went ahead with the AmsOil for my blazer. I've noticed my drag when I get off the gas has dropped a lot.

The AmsOil dealer told me at some recent conference, they revealed a new transmission oil. They put this new tranny oil in a handful of Las Vegas taxis and tac-welded the drain plugs on then had them drive for 100,000 miles. After each taxi hit his mileage, they set it off to a third party test lab. All of the test samples passed the test for being in useable condition. He told me the name of the lab, but this was weeks ago and my memory isn't that great with names.

Anyways, I think I may get that in a few months here. I just need to get a tranny flush done since the stuff in there now isn't synthetic.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Amsoil is the only thing I run in the bike, because I beat the hell out of it. The truck (160k) just gets valvoline synthetic blend, because it's cheaper, doesn't have to work as hard and I don't like it as much (shhhh — don't tell it I said that).

Top Bottom