• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I guess my point was, when the power goes out and it's night time, you still have back up power. Saw too many people with solar this past February that were SOL because of no storage. It just defeats the whole purpose for me.

Having storage is self reliance IMO. Being net zero in usage is efficiency.

You're still further ahead than me, you can always add it if you wanted.
    We have 2 neighbors who have solar but no storage, so in February when the power went out, those solar panels were useless since they won't work even in the daytime without incoming from the grid. I don't think the salesmen told them that when they bought their systems.
    Hurley's Gold

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Doing the annual hurricane preparedness routine, rotating our the old supplies with fresh ones including fuel.....

Anyone else restocking a little heavier this year because of the latest current events besides us?

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    I read tonight that 10% off US families are now having problems affording basic groceries. Core inflation of food, shelter, and transportation is over 16% year over year. Civil unrest is not far away. Hungry people do desperate things.

Reactions: gll

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    Wife went shopping yesterday and said almost 50 % of the items she normally buys were not on the shelves. Even the off brands were not there. I've been telling her for the past several weeks to over buy, but my cheap, I mean, frugal wife still refuses to stock up on most items. She has been watching and paying attention to all of the crap going on in the world and finally agreed she needs and will start stocking up on non-perishable food items.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Gotta keep livestock fat
    Need rain desperately...

A lot of items missing from the shelves, even dog food. Don't forget to prepare for your furry friends as well!
    Saw that one coming, put in 24 cases of canned and a couple hundred pounds of dry.

Like stocking gas, it's not so much about saving money, as restock will still cost more, but in case there is no restock...

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I have shifted from just disaster type preps to add supply side prepping. Steaks in my freezer and canned goods are also a mini investment which appreciates way faster than my savings;)
    Generator gasoline from 5 gal to 30 gallons and four propane bottles to seven (four are 40#)
    Dog food 50# reserve plus starting to by canned when I see it on sale.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Our prep is generally for “whatever causes shit we need to run out”. It’s not really specific to an EMP or civil unrest or whatnot.

Some tips that have worked for us, to slowly build-up our food storage:

If you go to the store to buy things for a recipe, don’t just buy one thing…buy several.
    This is especially true for common base ingredients like chicken stock & tomato sauce.

We keep our in-kitchen pantry stocked using things from our storage pantry, so it’s easy to see when we’re running low on something.

Canned goods keep forever, are cheap and easy to store. They’re also easy to cook.
    In a prolonged SHTF situation, BBQing steaks may attract unwanted attention.

Don’t alert the unprepared:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Our prep is generally for “whatever causes shit we need to run out”. It’s not really specific to an EMP or civil unrest or whatnot.

Some tips that have worked for us, to slowly build-up our food storage:

If you go to the store to buy things for a recipe, don’t just buy one thing…buy several.
    This is especially true for common base ingredients like chicken stock & tomato sauce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    this. I buy items that are used in a few recipes, but in bulk. Bought 10 lbs of beans last night. Bought 20 lbs of rice last month. Those items are used regularly in a few recipes, and are much cheaper in large quantities. And rice is a great thing to stretch a meal. A venison stir fry goes from one meal to two if we eat it over rice.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    OK fellers, what are you prepping for?
    My Children, now just my daughter, now that my son is grown, and her continued life.

General emergency prepping is me, and boy did it work out for COVID!!!
    I went to the store and with people standing in long lines with no TP, or paper towels, but FULL baskets,
    I had a hand basket, and got eggs, Diet Tonic water, fresh veggies (Bok Choy), and some bread, I think it was.
    Looking around the store in the longest lines I have seen, people were very uneasy, and panicked...
    No meat in the meat section, but people didn't buy the 18 packs of eggs sitting right there... in the dairy section...
    I told my son and Wife, don't worry, we got this, this is exactly what we do this for...

Zombies? I am not so sure... but I'd be in a hell of a better place than pinko-commies, and the unprepared, like those trying to buy guns and ammo from empty shelves during COVID...
    BUT some say if you prepare for Zombies, everything else that could come up is just child's play... and you were already ready, already, like many were even prior to COVID.

Really just to have a step up on emergencies, catastrophes, and riots/looters, for sure...

I also roll most of my own ammo, and for about 1/2 of Retail: 9mm, .223/5.56, .38/.357, and the wife's got the .45 Colt, .25ACP and .50 Action Express reloading gear for even less than 1/2 retail, maybe(?).

I think I only bought one 50rd box, and a box of 20-25 JHPs of overpriced 9mm ammo during the panic, for SD/HD/legal reasons, but I pressed a LOT of 5.56, and 124gr 9mm...
    and we have always stacked .22lr, as we currently have 5 .22lr firearms (one will also do .22 Mag).

Last edited:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Prepping for Tuesday.

Taking off work and hoping for good flying weather. Need to make sure all planes are in working order and bettered charged. Maybe even take something with an IC engine.

Afterwards I’ll need to be prepared for a trip to the city for a new pair of boots and dinner at a hibachi grill. Need to make sure my pants fit a little loose before hand.

It’s gonna be tough, but I think I can get it all done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes those jeans make your ass look big
    Get a pair of gator or python
    Tell momma and the family I said hi

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I am currently restocking after providing 1/2 my MRE's and 1/2 my Food for Patriots and 4 boxes of canned goods to my son's family during covid shortages which were HUGE in SW Colorado.

I am downsizing my gun collection and ammo stock to pay for it (I have too many guns to enjoy and enough ammo for this lifetime)

Why do I prep? other than the temporary shortages due to government intervention and supply chain and panic hoarding; the biggest threat which I perceive is an EMP device exploded by terrorists or an economic competitor (China? Russia). I also keep a non computer generation vehicle along with a box of shielded electrical/electronic components an old free CB and a modern multi frequency radio VHF UHF CB which may or may not survive in the strong box. (one generator old school one modern square wave)

Very interested in finding natural gas conversions for carb vehicle and a natgas generator, any help welcome! I have access to unlimited natgas

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    My Children, now just my daughter, now that my son is grown, and her continued life.

General emergency prepping is me, and boy did it work out for COVID!!!
    I went to the store and with people standing in long lines with no TP, or paper towels, but FULL baskets,
    I had a hand basket, and got eggs, Diet Tonic water, fresh veggies (Bok Choy), and some bread, I think it was.
    Looking around the store in the longest lines I have seen, people were very uneasy, and panicked...
    No meat in the meat section, but people didn't buy the 18 packs of eggs sitting right there... in the dairy section...
    I told my son and Wife, don't worry, we got this, this is exactly what we do this for...

Zombies? I am not so sure... but I'd be in a hell of a better place than pinko-commies, and the unprepared, like those trying to buy guns and ammo from empty shelves during COVID...
    BUT some say if you prepare for Zombies, everything else that could come up is just child's play... and you were already ready, already, like many were even prior to COVID.

Really just to have a step up on emergencies, catastrophes, and riots/looters, for sure...

I also roll most of my own ammo, and for about 1/2 of Retail: 9mm, .223/5.56, .38/.357, and the wife's got the .45 Colt, .25ACP and .50 Action Express reloading gear for even less than 1/2 retail, maybe(?).

I think I only bought one 50rd box, and a box of 20-25 JHPs of overpriced 9mm ammo during the panic, for SD/HD/legal reasons, but I pressed a LOT of 5.56, and 124gr 9mm...
    and we have always stacked .22lr, as we currently have 5 .22lr firearms (one will also do .22 Mag).

The pinko commies are the zombies and others that were standing in the lines unprepared. That's usually what they're referred to in the preparedness community.......not real zombies :D.

Myself, I just avoided the stores for a few weeks while everyone fought over those things. I had plenty at home, including frozen bread that had to just be thawed.

Last edited:

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I prep for as many things as I think are a possibility:

1. Supply chain shutdown. (have enough food for > 9 months)
    2. Grid shutdown (have enough solar panels and backup battery to run the house, also butane stove with LOTS of butane)
    3. Riots due to lack of food. (Have guns and ammo)
    4. War (food, guns, ammo, ham radio equipment)

Now that being said, there may be other things that might come up that I have not thought of.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    I prep for as many things as I think are a possibility:
    2. Grid shutdown (have enough solar panels and backup battery to run the house, also butane stove with LOTS of butane)...
    Funny you mention it, I got some butane for my torch lighters for refill, but got stove butane on accident.
    Well, since I had it, and a stove and 3-4 more butane canisters for the stove were pretty cheap, and my area I just moved to was iced in badly last year, I got the butane stove too, for backup, as the house I am renting only has an electric stove

Since I ONLY buy BBQs with additional burners as a backup, a backup to a backup food cooking option is only logical...

This reminds me, I need to get a second backup propane tank, as I told the wife to get 3, but she only got 2, after when we bought the recent BBQ after the move.

Will butane canisters eventually go bad/vent?

A Gargler search only presents this:
    "Opened butane canisters that sit unused will still be flammable and work fine in your camping stove, but the quality of the gas may deteriorate over time"

Top Bottom