Ok how do you get a Catfish?

Discussion in 'Texas Hunting & Fishing' started by rman, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

You could always try this method.

2. rman

rman Well-Known

Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    as always, great advice jrbfishing. I did end up losing my lure and a ton of line on the fountain the middle of the pond, so re-spooling with 1/3 mono would help me quite a bit. I have been using the FG knot for splicing lines and it seems to work well.

haha yes that's got to be an all time favorite

Sent from my SIG Sauer

3. rman

rman Well-Known

Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    funny you should mention, yesterday was my twins' 8th birthday. They got a handful of new lures (things they find on youtube, makes them happy) and some UL setups.

Went back and forth for a long time, someone on UltimateBass suggested the Pflueger President combos, which was a huge step up. from the $15 Shakespeare micros I was going to get them.

Paid $39/e at Dicks on sale, plus $10 survey coupon

[​IMG]

opted for the 5' with 25 series reel. Would have really preferred the 20 series that came on the 4'8", but it was a 2 pc reel and the extra length will probably help them throw a little further. Got them a basic crappie kit also, and spooled with 10lb test fireline. I opt for heavy because we're constantly getting snagged and I've been able to retrieve at least half our lures by putting a glove on and yanking.

One of the coolest things about learning to fish alongside my kids is that while I may learn faster and fish better sooner, it won't be long until they are killer anglers and showing me up every outing. These UL's should help get them a pretty strong skill set.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

4. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Search for "knot wars" by North American Fisherman. Uni-uni is really strong. For all but a few applications, 20lb braid is more than enough to land freshwater fish if done anywhere close to right. I've even seen 4ft alligator gar brought in on it. Power Pro is good stuff and stays round longer than most do. I use Ultra-cast Invisibraid because my old eyes can see it. It is good line though. For spinning reels, I use Nano-fill. Works way better on them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

5. karlac

karlac TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Aug 21, 2013
    WestU, TX
    Way to go, Dad. You're giving them an experience that will last a lifetime.

Caught my first fish 68 years ago and still relying on what I learned back then, including the old time clinch knot (one less loop than the uni), which my old fingers still do from muscle memory ...thank goodness cuz the uni ties my fingers in knots with smaller line, instead of the other way around.

Just retired and started fishing seriously again this year (spending the summer at a lake house in Arkansas I've owned for over a decade, but just now have time to enjoy).

Basically, a youthful passion reignited, and brought up to speed by that veritable treasure trove of advice on fishing and fishing equipment, Youtube ... a far cry from the old Field & Stream magazine of yore that I read religiously the rare times I could get my hands on one.

You're heading down the right path, good thread and great to hear about it ... keep up the good work!

Vaquero and rman like this.
  6. satx78247

satx78247 Well-Known

Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Catfish "punch far above their weight class". = In my days of commercial fishing I had many trotline drops, limb-lines & set-hooks that were "popped off" though I always used 80# mono for the "live perch" lines.

yours, satx

7. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    IMG_2177.JPG

8. satx78247

satx78247 Well-Known

Jun 23, 2014
    Hoji,

As the old joke goes, "Are you gonna talk or are you gonna fish?"
    (CHUCKLE.)