• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Got my PSA AR15. Got my Vortex Razor. Waiting on some bubble vials to come in so I can complete the optics install. But I do have the Razor mounted on the LaRue cantilever mount on the PSA.

I'm diddlin' around with the Razor getting used to the reticle and such. Then decided to crank some on the windage turret to to see if I could see the reticle, or anything, move. Had the Reticle illumination on, enough magnification to see the reticle subtensions. Then turned the windage turret. I'm hand holding the rifle so that may be why I couldn't tell there was any change? Would that be correct.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got my PSA AR15. Got my Vortex Razor. Waiting on some bubble vials to come in so I can complete the optics install. But I do have the Razor mounted on the LaRue cantilever mount on the PSA.

I'm diddlin' around with the Razor getting used to the reticle and such. Then decided to crank some on the windage turret to to see if I could see the reticle, or anything, move. Had the Reticle illumination on, enough magnification to see the reticle subtensions. Then turned the windage turret. I'm hand holding the rifle so that may be why I couldn't tell there was any change? Would that be correct.
    Correct. It needs to be stationary. If it was, you could tell. Its not much movement.

Sit it flat on a table. Center it to a refence on the wall. Crank on the dial.... then look at your refence point.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Correct. It needs to be stationary. If it was, you could tell. Its not much movement.

Sit it flat on a table. Center it to a refence on the wall. Crank on the dial.... then look at your refence point.
    Yeah... I knew it couldn't be much. My turrets are 1/4" per click MOA. As I understand it that's 1/4" devation @ 100 yards - not much. Waiting on the bubble vials, arrive Tuesday, to make tool to level/plumb optics install.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    it’s got cross hairs? vials are neat but if you block your rifle flat and point it at the corner of your room, you should be able to match the crosshairs with the line where the two walls meet.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Most people don't, but I believe it's a good idea to lap your mounts, especially on a more expensive optic.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    it’s got cross hairs? vials are neat but if you block your rifle flat and point it at the corner of your room, you should be able to match the crosshairs with the line where the two walls meet.
    What you say is true but... If I'm canting the rifle one way or other the optics wouldn't be parallel to mother earth. That's what I'm gonna use the vials for is to 1.) make sure my mounting rail is level L/R 2.) Make sure the optics are level l/r with the rail. Then w/o a bubble on the gun it's self the cross hairs will alert me to out of level condition. My story n' stickin' to it! :)

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    only problem with this is if your walls are out-of-plumb, which is pretty common...
    What you say is true but... If I'm canting the rifle one way or other the optics wouldn't be parallel to mother earth. That's what I'm gonna use the vials for is to 1.) make sure my mounting rail is level L/R 2.) Make sure the optics are level l/r with the rail. Then w/o a bubble on the gun it's self the cross hairs will alert me to out of level condition. My story n' stickin' to it! :)
    Just a suggestion, but I'd recommend a "hybrid" approach:

1. Use the basic approach outloned above, however - don't use a wall, use a plumb bob with an easily-visible line color (or against a backdrop with good contrast); somewhere with no wind, make sure the bob has time to settle first...

2. Your scope probably came with a bubble level. Use that (or as I prefer, go with something top-of-line from Flatline Ops, such as this: https://flatlineops.com/products/levels/halo-x-scope-level)

3. Level the reticle and scope-level using the plumb-line (don't worry about reticle-to-mount level yet).

4. Once you've got the scope-level set, you can easily level scope-to-mount/rifle with a flat or rail-mounted level (square or custom-canted to account for shoulder-weld).

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Without a doubt.... get a level on that optic.
    yeah... I repair/remodel homes n' business' I'm of the opinion none of the original builders owned a functioning level, plumb bob or square. And you have to go some to damage a plumb bob so it won't work! But there are no "square" nor plumb walls or level floors in the area in which I do business! :green:

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    This is funny. Just use a plumb line and the scope can be set 'level' but is the rifle 'square'?
    Use the plumb line and look through the BORE. Center the 'line' in the bore and then adjust vert scope for align. The'bubble is to insure you hold the rifle right when shooting.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    This is funny. Just use a plumb line and the scope can be set 'level' but is the rifle 'square'?
    Use the plumb line and look through the BORE. Center the 'line' in the bore and then adjust vert scope for align. The'bubble is to insure you hold the rifle right when shooting.
    I 2nd that!

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    yeah... I repair/remodel homes n' business' I'm of the opinion none of the original builders owned a functioning level, plumb bob or square. And you have to go some to damage a plumb bob so it won't work! But there are no "square" nor plumb walls or level floors in the area in which I do business! :green:

Sounds like you must be in San Antonio! LOL.

Top Bottom