• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cdevon1200

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    on my sa 1911 a1. why can i decock the hammer to a very weak still cocked possition? this is my first 1911.

please dont flame me for being a noob.
    cdevon1200
    Target Sports

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    It's a safety feature so that if you're coking the hammer on a live round and your thumb slips it can't go past there without you pulling the trigger. And I know a guy who carries his on that half cocked position. But That is the only two I can think of. I'm pretty sure it's the first.

cdevon1200

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    but to decock it you have to pull the trigger? so let me get this... fully cocked, while holding the hammer, puller the trigger, release the trigger and let the hammer fall under thumb slowing the hammer all the way home? i am used to keeping the trigger pulled till the hamer is fully home... i found the 1/2 cocked possition today.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    In 1980 I bought my first 1911A1 and I carried it with the hammer down or in the half cocked position for just a few days. I felt funny about carrying it cocked and locked but got used to it. Now it's always in that position unless I'm cleaning it.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    You're correct in your assumption that you should keep the trigger pulled back as you let the hammer down gently. By doing so, the disconnect is engaged. It's what keeps the pistol from going full auto when you're firing it.

A 1911 or 1911A1 should never be carried with the hammer in the half-cock position. It is a safety feature as Big Country explained, but it is not a SAFETY. There have been accidental discharges with the 1911 attributed directly to the hammer being in the half cock position and becoming dislodged, allowing the hammer to fall.

There are two ways to carry a 1911, (1) round in chamber, fully cocked with the thumb saftey engaged or (2) no round in chamber, hammer down, so you can work the slide and chamber a round as you draw the pistol. A lot of holsters work best with situation number 1. And there's a third, round chambered with the hammer down (not recommended).

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    put the hammer all the way down on a loaded chamber and go drop the pistol on concrete...

just make sure you're wearing kevlar.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Loaded chamber, hammer on half cock is referred to as condition 2. MANY years ago this was a common way to carry a 1911. There was no firing pin safety on a pre-series 80. Leaving the hammer down on a live round "could" cause the pistol to fire if dropped.

Today Condition 1 is the most accepted carry method.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Condition 2 is not having the pistol at half cock. Maybe the following will clear up what's what:
    CONDITION 1. To place a weapon in condition 1, a round must be in position to be fired and the safety must be on.
    CONDITON 2. To place a weapon in condition 2, a round must be in position to be fired, the weapon’s action must be closed, and the hammer must be forward. (This condition only applies to weapons that have external hammers)
    CONDITION 3. To place a weapon in condition 3, ammunition is in position to be chambered, the chamber is empty, the action is closed, and the safety is on.
    CONDITION 4. To place a weapon in condition 4, all ammunition is removed, the chamber is empty, the action is closed, and the safety is on.

cdevon1200

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    i never carry with one in the chamber unless... a round IS in the chamber, hammer cocked and thumb safty is on. it was a simple question. thank you guys for the replys.
    cdevpn1200

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Staff online

• Vaquero
      Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom