• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drricktx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    San Marcos, TX
    Old Shotguns

I wouldn't sell it for the world, but just to perhaps kick off some discussion on this forum, I have my grandfathers old Long Tom 12 ga shotgun. I believe he bought it when he was a boy for $7 and that would make it about 100 years old now. He must have fired a million shells through it and I've probably added several hundred thousand more. It's still my favorite shotgun to shoot but it's getting so loose and the firing pin has worn down to where it mis-fires....so I've relegated it to the gun case for now.

Does anyone know how common this shotgun was and know any history behind it?
    Rick

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    If it is marked Long Tom, it was probably a J Stevens Arms single shot. They were once very common as they were a Sears owned and widely distributed item. Not sure how many survive today. Like anything else, value depends on condition but I have seen them anywhere from $50 to $350.

Welcome aboard!

drricktx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    San Marcos, TX
    Long Tom

Thanks for the reply.

This shotgun is labeled "Long Tom" with no other markings whatsoever. It's certainly just a utilitarian shotgun with no fancy scrolling etc. However, the long, gracefull barrel just seems to fit my body perfectly and I shoot better with that shotgun than my high dollar Baretta O/Us. The value of it is in the memories and sentiments it stirs in me....so that makes it priceless.
    Rick

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm hoping that I will pick up my great grandfather's Winchester Model 24 the next time I go to my grandparents house. It's a double barrel, striker fired shotgun with a trigger for each barrel. The mechanism is in good shape (I've taken it down and cleaned it). The bores have 0 corrosion in them, and are still shiny.

drricktx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    San Marcos, TX
    Shotgun Pictures

Good idea about posting some shotgun pics. My problem is being technically challenged and it takes me twice as long to do anything on a computer other than email.....and time seems to be one thing I have very little of. Perhaps this weekend I'll pull out the camera and post some pics.

blake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Next time I'm up in Fort Worth I'll have to grab my great grandfather's 16 ga. Not a 12 or 12 ga., and not THAT old (40-50 years I think), but it's a pretty gun.

jim t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Hawley Texas
    it isnt for sale but I have a very old single shot 12 gage. it is a ..... well it isnt marked as to who made it. the only thing it says on the gun is cannon breech and it really does have one too. the breech is huge, it tapers down to the barrel.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    I have a Rossi 20 ga. coach gun double barrel outside hammers that
    I have been thinking of selling or trading since its been a safe queen
    since about 1972. I bought it in 68 and used to shoot clay birds from
    a hand thrower with it .
    It would make someone a good cowboy action shotgun.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My old H&R "blunderbuss" would fit in this class. It is a single shot 12 gauge with an astounding amount of "drop" in the stock! The patent dates are stamped in large letters on the side...1900!

The barrel was shortened to 20" in 1966 or 67 and it saw countless miles of the roughest bird hunting that Kansas has to offer. I hunted with that shotgun for YEARS! Kansas has brush piles and brambles and we all wore hunting pants with brush protection sewn onto the legs. That brush protection was soon shredded! That poor H&R shotgun went through Hell!

There is almost no finish on the metal and appears to be almost "in the white". Still, it shows little or no tendency to rust. I retired it from service decades ago and keep it around for the memories.

Sorry, I can't post pictures on TGT. It locks my computer up every time.

Flash

Top Bottom