• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blueR32

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    SA TX
    Hey guys. I'm new and have zero experience with firearms. I inherited this old double barrel 12 gauge when my Grandpa passed a couple of years ago. Story is, that it belonged to his grandfather.

Like I said, I have no knowledge of firearms and wanted to see if anyone could help identify any information about this particular shotgun. I'm not the best photographer, but took some pics this afternoon. The serial number appears 3 times and there is a name engraved on one side of.... I don't even know what the part is called. "Enders Royal Service" is what it looks to say. The overall length is 46.5 in. and just the barrel is 29.75 in. The entire thing is very sturdy. The only loose part is the lever to open it up for loading, but it opens & closes just fine.

*edit* I did find some info searching online. Not sure how the condition of this one would rate or if it would have been imported or made in America.

Thanks for any assistance.
    Clint

IMG_3148.JPG

IMG_3150.JPG

IMG_3155.JPG

IMG_3161.JPG

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Enders Royal Service was a brand of shotgun from Crescent Arms. Yours has double hammers, and appears to be a full length as opposed to a "Coach gun".

One thing I can suggest is to lightly coat the exposed metal with some gun oil to keep it from corroding. Especially if you live in a high humidity climate.

I wouldn't suggest getting it refinished btw, most collectors I've seen tend to want the character left on the gun. The old tarnished look to me adds more to the gun.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I wouldn't suggest getting it refinished

I agree 100%. You don't want to lose the patina that took many years to create. Oil it and keep it clean... and original.

EDIT: "Enders Royal Service shotguns were distributed by H & D Folsom Arms Co to the hardware trade from c.1890-1920. Shotguns marked "Enders Royal Service" were made by the Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich Conn. They produced single and double barreled shotguns from about 1892 on. H & D Folsom Arms Co. secured control of the company about 1893 and retained control until 1932.

blueR32

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    SA TX
    Thanks for the info. I've also read (today) that Crescent (Folsom) produced some of these weapons in the states and some were imported from Europe. They mentioned a barrel registration mark (or lack of one) to help ID where the original manufacture took place. Something else I found online...
    " Check the watertables of your shotguns....if it has proofmarks, it was imported. If not, it was American made."

Within the 30 year span that these were produced, do you guys think there's any way to pinpoint a specific year of manufacture? I'm guessing that since Crescent/Folsom is no longer around, it might be pretty difficult.

I'll keep researching & thanks for the guidance. As for cleaning & oiling. Should I find a local gunsmith for this type of work & should I be worried about driving around with this in my trunk? I don't have any kind of firearm permits.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'll keep researching & thanks for the guidance. As for cleaning & oiling. Should I find a local gunsmith for this type of work & should I be worried about driving around with this in my trunk? I don't have any kind of firearm permits.

It's not illegal as Texas is a Castle Doctrine state, meaning your vehicle is considered your "place of residence" at the time you are in it. So long as the gun is concealed you will be fine. If it's in the trunk, unloaded, and concealed then no police officer is going to give you crap for it unless he thinks it's stolen, or wants to be a raging wanker.

For oiling, go to Academy's or a local gun retailer and pick up some Hoppe's gun oil in a small bottle. Just soak a small rag with about a dime size amount and just rub it onto the exposed surface. It doesn't have to be soaked in it, just make sure it's got a thin film on it.

Cleaning is simply done with Q-tips and patches. Pick up a shotgun cleaning kit ($10 - 15) and it will come with a nice big patch rammer, and the rods. Soak the patch in gun oil and run it through each barrel once or twice. That'll get some of the old grime out of it and will keep the internal barrel from pitting.

It's real simple and cheap to maintain a firearm, and since you aren't shooting it then it'll be a check it once a year thing after the initial cleaning.

If you have alot of caked on junk that won't come off, try first applying a dot of oil to the caked on stuff and then wiping it down, or you can obtain some of the gun solvent stuff. I would think that dish soap would work fairly decent and be pretty soft on the metal as well, might want to look around first.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    if it has proofmarks, it was imported. If not, it was American made
    I'm pretty sure the imported ones were from Belgium at a time when weapons from that region were regarded as really high quality pieces. (not that they are not now). I think your date range is best determined by serial number. You just need to find the records or a good gun history book...

Really cool old shotgun. I'd hang on to it for sure.

drricktx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    San Marcos, TX
    Castle Doctrine

Alan said:

"It's not illegal as Texas is a Castle Doctrine state, meaning your vehicle is considered your "place of residence" at the time you are in it. So long as the gun is concealed you will be fine. If it's in the trunk, unloaded, and concealed then no police officer is going to give you crap for it unless he thinks it's stolen, or wants to be a raging wanker."

Alan, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Texas Law only applies to handguns. I've always been under the impression that you can put a rifle or shotgun up on the dash of your car, in full view, and it is not illegal. Thus the old gun rack in the back of the pickup thing that used to be so prevalent but has pretty much died out not due to being illegal but because the theives will end up with the gun in no time at all.

How about it, Forum...am I wrong on this???
    Rick

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's more of a practice of common sense.

Leaving any firearm exposed to view inside of a car is asking for it to be stolen, or asking to be bothered by a police officer.

AK47_Emily

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    BUT - It isn't illegal to carry a shotgun or rifle in your vehicle. Many laws that apply to handguns don't apply.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    BUT - It isn't illegal to carry a shotgun or rifle in your vehicle. Many laws that apply to handguns don't apply.

I never stated it was, just said if it was concealed you wouldn't catch flak. Loaded AR15 in the backseat is going to get your car searched, or some attitude from a cop. I prefer to have neither personally.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yep, it certainly isn't illegal. The only deal with handguns is HB1815 of the state code says they must be concealed, but that does not apply to rifles or shotguns.

Ak47_Emily, in keeping with your screename I vote that you should carry an Ak47 with a drum mag in a rifle/shotgun rack. I'd love to see the looks on LEO's face if they happen to see that! ;) BTW, welcome to the forum and thanks for registering.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Yep, it certainly isn't illegal. The only deal with handguns is HB1815 of the state code says they must be concealed, but that does not apply to rifles or shotguns.

Ak47_Emily, in keeping with your screename I vote that you should carry an Ak47 with a drum mag in a rifle/shotgun rack.

Don't kid yourself. Anything is possible. She lives with Zembonez.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Neat gun, especially with the personal family connection. Are those fluid steel or damascus barrels? Don't think I would want to try shooting it but it sure would look nice over a fireplace mantel.

Good shooting and be safe.
    LB

blueR32

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    SA TX
    Are those fluid steel or damascus barrels? Don't think I would want to try shooting it but it sure would look nice over a fireplace mantel.

Thanks for all the great info.

I wouldn't know how to determine what type of barrels these are. I've also read that these types of shotguns can't handle modern shells. Probably unsafe to fire due to age and condition as well. I did pick up a cleaning kit to give it a work over this weekend.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    I wouldn't know how to determine what type of barrels these are. I've also read that these types of shotguns can't handle modern shells. Probably unsafe to fire due to age and condition as well. I did pick up a cleaning kit to give it a work over this weekend.

Damascus barrels usually show a curly, wavy obvious pattern in the metal and definitely should NOT be fired with modern shells, not even low base shells. My understanding is that ALL modern shotgun shells far exceed the max pressure limits for damascus barrels. Nonetheless, that is a memorable piece of family history for you. Treasure it. Sounds like you are on the safe path towards cleaning it up gently and enjoying it as a family keepsake. Congratulations.

Good shooting and be safe.
    LB

Top Bottom